• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wx / Drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iceman View Post
    I will burn the bitch before I try dealing with a rancher again.

Beyond beef for iceman
    Take shares on bales and count after baling....make them haul to your yard as part of the deal....then list on kijiji or sell to a rancher that is reputable...there are lots that don't own a baler and buy feed at the right price...

Comment

I have a simple solution to this get the liberals greens and ndp to bring in a rain tax. We pay a rain tax and it will rain simple and it should work. Liberals claim they can alter the environment with a carbon tax why not a rain tax.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
        I have a simple solution to this get the liberals greens and ndp to bring in a rain tax. We pay a rain tax and it will rain simple and it should work. Liberals claim they can alter the environment with a carbon tax why not a rain tax.
        What a fantastic idea jimmy !
        Carbon tax cooled the environment in one month , right chuckles?

Comment

Gotta wonder when the senior climatologists get back from the long weekend off and give the junior climatolgists a break from their crayons and coloring books if the rain for Wednesday here will evaporate from the forecast?

I refuse to set myself up for disappointment anymore...one day at a time.

Comment

The only tax we need is some kind of tax to get rid of politicians that want to tax us for stupid reasons.
            Stadiums
            Empty global hubs.
            By passes
            Carbon

Comment

Drought will make spring thrash canola in this area worth something so that is good. I have some in the bin. Saw a guy combining this afternoon and saw some standing canola still in field yesterday. Go drought.

Comment

Pastures in this area were eaten off pretty short last fall and would seem to be first to suffer.
                Might be prudent for cattlemen to buy some oats if they can find any.
                Not sorry to be out of cattle.

Comment

Gets my goat every time the first guys who run out of grass are the first ones turning out. I don’t expect to turn my cows on summer pasture until June first if I can. Let the grass get a leg up before you graze.

Our soil moisture is decent so far but fear if we don’t get a good rain in a couple weeks the grass will be stuck in first gear. Far as hay is concerned I do not think there will be much. Maybe I am calling it too early but I have that feeling. This area has been fortunate to have had lots of rain the last few years so I am not surprised we are in for a dry year. Surely it will rain enough to get something but I don’t think should have unrealistic expectations for the current forecasts.

Comment

One of the worst overgrazed pastures in this area from last year had cattle turned onto it April 26th this year - optimistic is an overstatement!

As for hay I'm sure you are right - it is just too late and too dry already to get much of a first cut this year in my area anyway. If we get the moisture it might boost (or give) a second cut.

As for ranchers not paying for feed, I've certainly never done that but I've been cheated a few times by guys misrepresenting the weight of bales they are selling.
                    A new experience last year was getting cheated badly by a custom operator hired to cut, bale and wrap bales. I'd never expect someone in that business to slack off the density and not chop the cores of the silage bales in an effort to boost the bale tally by which he charges. Never found out until we weighed them when we hauled them home and discovered they were little more than half the weight expected. Of course he had been paid long ago. Not naming names but be very wary of hiring a custom guy from Nesbit, Manitoba.

Comment

Sure hope you cattle guys get some rain
                      Watching a crop burn up is not nice , but pales in comparison to watching your herd that you built up go short of feed or water . Must take years to get back to where you were after a severe drought !

Comment

Selling hay on shares, offered my alfalfa and was told 70/30 on land i 1/3 2/3 rent, giving a 3 1/3 deficet cheque for me write on crop i own, disced it hours later.

Comment

No rain for you!

Wonder what shape things will be in by June 1

Meanwhile to the south....over 10 inches of rain possible for northeast Kansas by June 4
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	June 4 19 total.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	767301

Comment

Prairie Fire around Edson/Marlboro?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                              One of the worst overgrazed pastures in this area from last year had cattle turned onto it April 26th this year - optimistic is an overstatement!

As for hay I'm sure you are right - it is just too late and too dry already to get much of a first cut this year in my area anyway. If we get the moisture it might boost (or give) a second cut.

As for ranchers not paying for feed, I've certainly never done that but I've been cheated a few times by guys misrepresenting the weight of bales they are selling.
                              A new experience last year was getting cheated badly by a custom operator hired to cut, bale and wrap bales. I'd never expect someone in that business to slack off the density and not chop the cores of the silage bales in an effort to boost the bale tally by which he charges. Never found out until we weighed them when we hauled them home and discovered they were little more than half the weight expected. Of course he had been paid long ago. Not naming names but be very wary of hiring a custom guy from Nesbit, Manitoba.
                              Around here everyone pays based on a scale ticket. There can be alot of variability in bale weights. Especially in a dry year. The areas of the field with a little more snow or moisture give a heavier swath and usually alittle heavier bale. And sometimes finer hay can surprise you with how heavy of a bale you can make.

Comment

Leafcutter bees are worthless so might be better to turn them into compost and grow alfalfa?
                                I am sure NE Sask can still grow a decent hay crop but we are just so far from the areas that need it.
                                What do you think Case?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.