• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough sledding ..MAV

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough sledding ..MAV

Wheat is take able , but humidity was at 89% last night by 9 pm
    Was up to 26 gal/hr lol
    Saturday wheat wheat was dry , before the 15 Th rain of this harvest , I averaged 16.5 gal / hr all day .
    The Mav eats some power but still far better than any case spreader
    I am spreading the full 45 ft and everything is chopped very well .

Kinda hard to see but , it spreading full width .
    The only downside.... was the cost . Absolutely crazy , but we had to do something. Those 1970’s spinners on a class 9 were a terrible joke

With all the modern tech on these new combines, it utterly stuns me when I drive around and see the number of machines that STILL cannot spread the width of the cut!

Comment

That’s the issue with most North American made combines ... they are designed mostly for corn and soybeans then retrofitted for small grains .....
      there is very very little MOG in corn and soybeans, hence no need for proper choppers from factory unless special order b/S at a huge cost already over a very overpriced corn / soybean machine
      With added aftermarket parts , concaves , rotors , beater , choppers they work ok . But it’s a huge added expense on top of combines way overpriced

Comment

That is why Lexions are taking over in many areas that have decent dealerships.
        They are specifically built for small grains and are set up to handle those crops efficiently

Comment

Our Ghetto Massey has a MAV, utterly destroys dry cereal straw. In tough conditions it still chops but most of it isn't pulverized to next to nothing.

They are really spinning too, chopper rotor balance is very important.

But ya, quite the chopper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_161451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	767725

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Our Ghetto Massey has a MAV, utterly destroys dry cereal straw. In tough conditions it still chops but most of it isn't pulverized to next to nothing.

They are really spinning too, chopper rotor balance is very important.

But ya, quite the chopper.

[ATTACH]4863[/ATTACH]
            Here is a safety tip, remind the extra people on your crew or around the combine DO NOT STAND BEHIND THE COMBINE. My neighbor has a Massey like that, he lost a blade it shot out and they realized the danger of the MAV chopper!

Comment

We used to have a straw storm on a 750 Massey. We were petrified of one of those blades coming out, being that the spin horizontally. Combine always caught up to truck to unload, and truck always pulled away when done.

Comment

Why are you putting straw thru the combine if you only want the grain?

Bugs are more then happy to break down the straw for you.

Comment

Are you chopping flax straw with it? We ran ours through the ol JD chopper this yr but it was sprayed with glyphosate and reglone first. I hate bunching and burning.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Are you chopping flax straw with it? We ran ours through the ol JD chopper this yr but it was sprayed with glyphosate and reglone first. I hate bunching and burning.
                    No, Combine seems to twist the straw up into ropes and it is too hard to put through the chopper, plus our seed drill doesn't like flax straw!

I think you must be running a stripper header WD9? Once again our seed drill can go through quite a bit of straw but does have it's limitations. Guys around here with SeedMasters and Seed Hawks try to minimize the amount of standing and "long" residue on their fields.

Blades have to properly be bolted in and torqued. There are stepped spacer bushings and a heavy bevelled washer that has to be properly installed. The "slight" bevel needs the convex side against the stepped bushing so the knifes don't bind or break the stepped bushings. If the bushings break and the bolts flop around they can break and shit comes flying out the back. Yup dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post

Hmmmm , never thought of that lol
                      Yes a stripper header has its place . But here at seeding time next year , most canola would freeze off in all that straw on the May long weekend 9/10 times
                      Every area is different.
                      Even germination and establishment on canola was critical this year ... works for us , but again every area if different
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 9, 2019, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post

Im on the stripper train as well. When Redokop gets their weed seed grinder released, i think it'll be a dandy way to roll

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                          Buy a Deere you get a chopper !
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ff5acfc56105f4e4fe3475146818bd22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	767726
                          Only for the cult members

Comment

[ATTACH]4864[/ATTACH]
                            Only for the cult members
                            And I was getting excited about a stripper train. Never thought about there being another meaning for chopper too. I heard a few years ago that most of the stripper joints have gone out of business, apparently young men like video games better was the story.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.