• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I am concerned about....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did all the great politicians go? The people with the same characteristics are still being born - maybe less of them are choosing to get into politics with the fishbowl it has become of 24/7 media scrutiny? "Great" leaders are remembered for generations but I think it's also true that it takes times when conditions are extremely bad for these leaders to be needed and for them to rise to the occasion in the public perception. Winston Churchill would be the classic case - famous for his war time leadership but not that successful politically in peace time. When times are easy and the problems are "relatively" small like in most western nations at the moment it doesn't demand the best politicians - which is maybe why we've got what we've got?

Comment

Pgluca: Don't you think we are already feeling the effects of this society? We elected a party to run this country whose leader was one of those given a medal for just showing up.

" I could have been an actor, but I wound up here."
      " I just have to look good, I don't need to be clear."

Don Henley, from the song Dirty Laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
        Where did all the great politicians go? The people with the same characteristics are still being born - maybe less of them are choosing to get into politics with the fishbowl it has become of 24/7 media scrutiny? "Great" leaders are remembered for generations but I think it's also true that it takes times when conditions are extremely bad for these leaders to be needed and for them to rise to the occasion in the public perception. Winston Churchill would be the classic case - famous for his war time leadership but not that successful politically in peace time. When times are easy and the problems are "relatively" small like in most western nations at the moment it doesn't demand the best politicians - which is maybe why we've got what we've got?
        A leader like Winston Churchill would be ridiculed in today’s social media and fakes newspapers. You only need to turn on CNN to see the battering that Trump takes on a constant basis. Jean Chretien, now he had the qualities - he was focused and deliberate - deliberate enough to grab a protester by the neck, I don’t know what he intended to do to the protestor once he had him in a choke-hold but he showed his deliberation. He had vision for the economics of this nation and no one was going to stand in his way. Now, Trudeau as well as Scheer, Harper and all are just la de da, I’ll just stand here and put a smile(or smirk) on my face while every special interest group derails every economic initiative and I won’t have to do anything. “Consult, include special groups in benefits, but get to work and Get It Done.”

Comment

ok, you all know I hate the current bunch of liberals and Detest Trudeau. Hell, he is the worst Pm in the whole history of Canada.

Ask the fool a question get nothing after listening to him for 5 min.

But when the cow went to the airport to greet the Saudi girl What the F#$K was she thinking.

This isn't doing anything for Canada but it will bring in more trouble let me tell you.

Bucket you hit the nail on the head. It's scary and the one you missed is the amount of debt Canada is taking on with nothing to show for it.

Comment

The libs fall all over themselves for the photo op and then no follow through. Just like the 50,000 Syrian refugees just dump off in Canada. Most of them still at food banks getting supports, no skills, no money to upgrade, no English. The are DOA in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
              Pgluca: Don't you think we are already feeling the effects of this society? We elected a party to run this country whose leader was one of those given a medal for just showing up.

" I could have been an actor, but I wound up here."
              " I just have to look good, I don't need to be clear."

Don Henley, from the song Dirty Laundry.
              Misterjade9, We are undoubtably feeling the effects. However until the severity is great enough that it becomes an issue that resonates with a significant portion of the population nothing will happen. Also there has to be recognition of the cause. Perhaps that will be the hardest part because it will require realizing that the "everyone is entitled and everyone is equal" philosophy is just unworkable.

Regarding the issue of a competent and viable country leadership, I wonder if, as political correctness becomes more important than rational and functional policy, a country essentially becomes ungovernable.

Politicians as was pointed out by someone else, seem to have only one focus....reelection, which makes them political prostitutes for every popular cause, or loud special interest group, etc. And as I wrote earlier you have to be "SPECIAL" to want that job, being an egomaniac or someone with a superiority complex combined with self masochistic tendencies would fit. The Ed Stellmacs (I may have spelled his name wrong) of this world, who only want to promote good government get crushed.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                A leader like Winston Churchill would be ridiculed in today’s social media and fakes newspapers. You only need to turn on CNN to see the battering that Trump takes on a constant basis.
                I don't believe anyone could seriously consider mentioning Trump in the same breath as Churchill. Opposite ends of the spectrum of leadership.

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                ..But when the cow went to the airport to greet the Saudi girl...
                Well there's one reason half the population doesn't want to get into politics. Ignorant misogyny.

You're a big talker SF3 - always wanting better representation from useless farm organizations - what have you ever done to improve them? Endless time and resources on your hands and I bet you've done nothing to further or represent any group.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  I don't believe anyone could seriously consider mentioning Trump in the same breath as Churchill. Opposite ends of the spectrum of leadership...

Not all would agree. There is one camp who unceremoniously lumps them into the same heap.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/winston-churchill-british-empire-colonialism https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/winston-churchill-british-empire-colonialism

When our times have had the sterilizing benefit of 50 -75 years of retrospect, it will be interesting to see how history has presented today's leaders.

Whatever Churchill was in reality, he was the leader the Western world needed for that time. All have feet of clay.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                    Not all would agree. There is one camp who unceremoniously lumps them into the same heap.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/winston-churchill-british-empire-colonialism https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/01/winston-churchill-british-empire-colonialism

When our times have had the sterilizing benefit of 50 -75 years of retrospect, it will be interesting to see how history has presented today's leaders.

Whatever Churchill was in reality, he was the leader the Western world needed for that time. All have feet of clay.
                    Without a doubt Churchill had his flaws but his wartime leadership will be remembered as his (and Britain's) finest hour.
                    Trump's reign is more likely to be remembered as the "WTF era."

Comment

and his razor sharp wit and tongue

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...