• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh boy... We really should stop growing beans up here...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    This statement scares me, do you really think Canadians will take an entire 8 years( 2 election cycles) to figure out that our current amateur is just not ready? Or will we learn faster than that?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Yep, some are slow learners, LOL.

Comment

A lot of people don't understand that part...

Some places in the world grow crop after crop... plant one, harvest the next... Other places like the black earth region grow long and short season crops, harvest for 3 months and seed for 2 or 3.

We're paying the same for land growing 1 crop a year, and struggling to get that off (I realize MB has a longer season... but there isn't that much land south of the #16 in MB compared to the rest of the prairies).

And MB beans are still low in protein which makes them less desirable compared to US/Brazil/Argentina/ or Eastern Canada beans...

Comment

Originally posted by Nudge View Post
        SF3 seems the only thing you can really do is sell out before it crashes. If you can't compete get out. I'm sure there are a couple BTO's round there willing to take on an impressive operation like yours!
        BTO's and young guys here will take on ANY LAND at all. Good plan, thinking hard about freedom 65.

Comment

I don't know... To me farming is pretty good in Canada overall. But yes long term competitiveness is a concern if governments keep regulating and taxing us more and more. Best thing that could happen would be for the grain seed and chem oligopolies to be torn apart but we are going the other way right now.

I understand in Brazil and Argentina they dont pay tua on rr seed traits and Russia well its Russia we were dumb enough to send our university researchers over there to give them the varieties and show them how to grow them lol.

Comment

Argentina has exported more soy meal than any other country on an annual basis ever since 2000.
            Canada imports zero soy meal from Argentina.
            The prairie provinces imported about 350,000 tonnes of soy meal from the US in 2016.
            Talk of a crush plant in Manitoba. Looks like the domestic market would really have to grow to make it a success.
            Interesting that Argentina exports about twice as many soybeans as Canada but produces about 7 times as much.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
              bean genetics are improving fast up here. better economics than 7 dollar peas. Demand for food and feed is increasing every day
              bean genetics + new stress relieve fertilizers will keep improving the feasibility outside traditional soy areas. This a fertilizer we work with farmers in the U.S and South America on soybeans that help protect the plant from stress, seen yield bumps from university and independent trials as high as 35% on soy and consistently over 10. More and more of this tech is coming i think.

[URL="http://northernnutrients.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/NN-brochure_Magnetar_.pdf"]http://northernnutrients.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/NN-brochure_Magnetar_.pdf[/URL]

[URL="http://northernnutrients.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Magnetar-All-trials_2.pdf"]http://northernnutrients.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Magnetar-All-trials_2.pdf[/URL]

Comment

No i never said we should stop growing them, I look at it this way

Canada and USA with all our extra bullshit costs on every thing from Seed to Fert to Fuel to Equipment and we cant continue to pay triple costs and grow the same amount for less money.

Our transportation system is left to two railroads that care only about one thing their shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                  No i never said we should stop growing them, I look at it this way

Canada and USA with all our extra bullshit costs on every thing from Seed to Fert to Fuel to Equipment and we cant continue to pay triple costs and grow the same amount for less money.

Our transportation system is left to two railroads that care only about one thing their shareholders.
                  Yup... That's just it...

We're too far from markets, and we keep dismantling all the things that gave us a competitive edge because you have people in boards, and in the government's ears that are clueless...

How do you compete with export countries that can literally drive their grain to port in the same time it takes us to haul it to an elevator, that loads it on a train, that has to haul it 3000KM...

I'll refer to what my economist friend said....

Corporate farms, as inefficient and beaurocratic as they are, function in Russia, Europe, South America, Australia, and the US.

The only major agriculture area they always, with complete certainty, fail, is Canada.

Comment

They fail in Canada because the new BTO desires shiny snowfence of grain bins and they sit on boards without realizing their grain should be moving to port as soon as the combine starts....

Look at the boards and their directors ....

Some are chasing higher yielding varieties to stay competitive without realizing there isn't a market nor a transportation system to handle it....

I guess they make it up on stationary volume....

Comment

Agree completely that we are at a competitive disadvantage. Eventually when we have enough years of low incomes land and equipment costs come in line. One huge factor we do have is much lower interest compared to South America and Russia.

Comment

Soy is the future , this year only a minor hiccup. We will get a soy crusher before a Pasta plant!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.