• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Nutrien is going to pay you for Carbon Credits.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh at the 20 its a win-win for them and the farmers get a BS 30 dollars extra from using fertilizer. You cant make shit up like this.

Comment

This whole idea should have been pushed big time by all the farm groups. Just listened at noon to the canola head that is retiring. Yea he should. Total yea yea yea and nothing said.

But I for one don't trust business to pay us the fair amount. Little games will be played and farmers will be responsible for the screw-ups.

A gov agency federal should take what's collected and send credits to those who do something for the environment.

Not solar panels and wind turbines that mine the earth for raw materials more than the actual savings in power.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        But maybe some of the land improvements are not quite what they seem...draining land on to the neighbours might seem like a great improvement for the farmer doing it....but it really just compounds the problem...without having a 30000 foot level look at what could be a good plan...

Off topic but government has the opportunity to do so much more as far as land improvements or conversely looking at the opportunity for just leaving it as is...

Thats why the US has land conservation programs....you get paid to leave as is......
        I was referring more to clearing bush, breaking new productive land, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
          I was referring more to clearing bush, breaking new productive land, etc.
          Yes good point. ...but if you were compensated with a conservation program....would you still do it?

I think that is what the conservation programs are for in the USA.

Comment

People get upset when GrainCos ask them to sign sustainability agreements that ask you not to do certain things on your land.

People get upset when Ducks Unlimited get their claws into land.

ALUS rubs some people the wrong way.

How much control do you want to give up in exchange for how many dollars per acre annually.

"Land improvements" for easier farming can be an oxymoron in relation to wildlife, environment, biodiversity.

I have absolutely no room to judge anyone who cleared bush or landscaped to move water, as I did both. And bought land that had it done already.

In my experience, "land improvements", has polar opposite affects on making land farming friendly and the well being of wild life and biodiversity. I saw it myself. The Ghetto isn't that marginal that leaving things the way they were never paid dividends farming those claimed acres. If there is a balance...... there isn't one in the Slum of the Ghetto now.

Sometimes I think annual cropping creates more biomass than short grass prairie did. Then when the accumulation of dead prairie grass fuel got heavy natural prairie fires sent it all up in smoke. I bet some prairie grain fields haven't been burnt black in decades.

Comment

You just hit the nail on the head.

Years ago before the white man and trains and people. Alberta to Manitoba would burn some years if the wind was right and lightning strike dry grass would burn for days killing everything in its way.

They never talk about that. Never.

Just now we're bad for seeding and having all that area for animals to enjoy. Moose eating oats in southern Sask.

But what do I know. Just pointing out things.

Comment

You can see the change in mainstream attitudes about the environment and agriculture with Macdonalds promoting "sustainable" beef. Looks like a lot of window dressing, but its a significant change in perspective on agriculture and environmental issues in the marketplace and with consumer demand.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  You can see the change in mainstream attitudes about the environment and agriculture with Macdonalds promoting "sustainable" beef. Looks like a lot of window dressing, but its a significant change in perspective on agriculture and environmental issues in the marketplace and with consumer demand.
                  What is " sustainable beef " ...someone explain this to me as I am stupid...

Cows get bred by bulls, have calf, calf grows on pasture....some are fed at home others weaned and sent to a feedlot using grains and silage, then sent to a packer and packaged for stores...

Cycle repeats....what has to be done to make it sustainable.....IMHO ...a good bull.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...