• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is APAS representing secondary industries at committee????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is APAS representing secondary industries at committee????

Seems odd that APAS is actively lobbying for secondary industries like processors....have you ever seen graincos or meat packers lobby for farmers in front of an ag committee ?????

Using farmers lobbying resources which are being used to help industries that can extract profit from consumers or end users seems really stupid because none of the profit comes back to the farm gate...

I think people can see why farmers are irritated with our farm groups representing the wrong policy or group...using farmers money...

Every time there is an announcement using government money they always say how it will help farmers ....it just is not happening....

Protein Industries Canada always says there announcements will help farmers .....2/10ths of rain has done more good...

PIC hasn't created one BPA demand for pulses with hundreds of millions of dollars handed out...do the math...

BTW secondary industries have their own lobbyists and connections in government...
    Last edited by bucket; Nov 30, 2020, 06:49.

Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind

Comment

Or maybe the few that supposedly represent us are looking for a directors chair...

Look at some MLAs or wannabe MLAs when they are done with that then they run for RMs or producer groups...

Its crazy they never did shit as an MLA or their vision as an MP was a disaster and they get elected to being a Reeve....

What the phuck is wrong with people in Ritz's area that anyone would elect him as reeve...

Farmers don't need name recognition representing them ...they need IQ...ffs...

Comment

Speaking of representation...the Ag critic for the conservatives...is just doing an absolute shitty job to date...just an observation of her in meetings on CPAC and in the house at question period if she ever asks a question farmer related...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
          Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind
          I haven't caught that lately took me a few months to realize how the conservatives phucked farmers back in 2012...without adding any transparency to the industry...and no farm group even understands the issue...

I won't pat backs of people that dont really have the interests of farmers as the mainstay of their representation of farmers...

Not one group said the ask for farmers is now a drop in the bucket compared to what Trudeau has thrown away ...

The same people that bitch about farmers in the comment section of media are the same ones that couldn't go a week without a major government bailout....while they bitch about farmers that are living with 1970 grain prices and is the only industry that put a 100 percent effort in this year ...the rest just called in the government for support...
          Last edited by bucket; Nov 30, 2020, 07:09.

Comment

I would rather have industry, facilities and infrastructure here.

Look at the meat packing industry, and cattle as a example. It went South.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post

Fair enough ...can't argue your comments....but let those industries lobby for themselves...

Farmers can lobby on their behalf....doesnt change what happens on the farm...

As a for instance there is a new greenfield feedlot going up in Turin , Alberta by Serfas farms...should be online by march 2021 ...assuming another entrant in the market to buy my calves by that time should result in better prices for my calves..?????...not likely...wishful thinking

But the media will say it is another market for ranchers....but it doesnt increase ranchers return at all...and more than likely there is government money in that venture....

So while supporting secondary industries is a noble idea ...at the end of the day the endorsement does not return value to farmers and ranchers...

While everyone uses the "...we are in this together " mantra or battle cry .....it is very far from the truth...

If we were , in fact , in this together ....we would all be working for 2020 returns...not industry capturing the indexed returns on our 1970s prices...
              Last edited by bucket; Nov 30, 2020, 08:49.

Comment

Tool Lewis was talking about a better transportation system.....I thought they were doing this since the events of 2013....same shit going on today...40 vessels out at the west coast ...but it doesnt matter because they are doing the best they can until the winter weather hits...

No one correlates the fact with good weather they are still not keeping up to the production and export demands ...

Walk into an elevator to deliver and they say they are working on October and November contracts....JFC....its been years to get this shit figured out how to move a 75 mmt crop....

And then to have guys sit there in front of the ag committee and say the same phucking things they did 8 years ago about transportation....and lobby for them????????

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post

Its also a result of government....

Look at Moose Jaw and they use to have a Canada packers slaughter house ....old cows would come in from farmers and give them a place to sell cows without having to go through an auction...

Couldn't have that and the government allowed it to happen....now when it opens as a sow slaughter house the government will be offering money to help it out.....

Doesnt mean the pig farms will do any better..and most pig farms are now run by who???? You guys know the answer...

So since 1993 we lost a plant in the heart of cattle country that would take those cows and instead made it so ranchers just shoot them for coyote bait..

Government inaction and policy ....they dont listen to farmers that vote for them ...they listen to the paper bags that show up

Comment

Just so you guys know...I like talking to myself.....hahaha.

Comment

......its read.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        Seems odd that APAS is actively lobbying for secondary industries like processors....have you ever seen graincos or meat packers lobby for farmers in front of an ag committee ?????

Using farmers lobbying resources which are being used to help industries that can extract profit from consumers or end users seems really stupid because none of the profit comes back to the farm gate...

I think people can see why farmers are irritated with our farm groups representing the wrong policy or group...using farmers money...

Every time there is an announcement using government money they always say how it will help farmers ....it just is not happening....

Protein Industries Canada always says there announcements will help farmers .....2/10ths of rain has done more good...

PIC hasn't created one BPA demand for pulses with hundreds of millions of dollars handed out...do the math...

BTW secondary industries have their own lobbyists and connections in government...
                        Question for you Bucket.
                        I would agree that as farmers in western Canada we have far less support from govt than most of our competitors and what supply management receives. You have distain for literally all commodity groups, APAS and any elected govt, municipal , provincial or federal. I have tried to get to crop week in Saskatoon most years and spend a day or two going to the annual meetings and talking to elected farmer board members. It always struck me of the passion they had to improve the lot of whatever crop they represented. Our local rm are members of APAS. I admit in their early years I didn't have a lot of good to say about APAS but feel they have matured in more recent years. I haven't gone to many of their meetings but follow what they are doing online and through their magazine. If I had a real beef I could get involved as they are always looking for reps it seems at times.
                        From what I understand a high percentage of the provincial ag expenditure goes into crop insurance and the other support programs. For myself I would say that a real beef for me is the fact that the Ag stability program is a joke, we are losing much of the govt investment in plant breeding and poor handling of trade relationships with our trading partners has cost us dearly and the ongoing trade issues will continue to cause us problems. That being said as most western Canadian farmers, we are on our own we have had to be and nimble and efficient as we can be. It is not easy trying to find cheap land as most farmers are looking for more and many are willing to push the price up to get it. That tells me many farmers see a future.
                        Back to my question , What do you want?

Comment

The federal government just made a SM announcement to an industry that has a formula that allows for indexing of costs to milk production....its the backbone of agriculture is what Bibeau said...

Maybe farm groups are not listening to what is said or are too stupid to respond to that insult?

Look at how quick programs were put in place for the pandemic issues...federally they have spent 400 billion to help out joe six pack....

Farmers cant get a matching response to what the American government has done for their farmers in the form of direct payment in the last 5 years....

So is anyone really paying attention when our prices are set from a distorted market in the states????

The other problem is that farmers can't just go an off farm job in the current situation to help offset losses as there are no jobs...

If you are farmer that left 50 percent of his crop out in 2019...which agristabilty counts as inventory...there is no help for 2020 because you have moved your income to another year...

Tell your kids that if BSE hits or you leave a crop out ....there won't be help....ask them if they want to risk 25 years of working for that eventual outcome.....

It won't bring young people to that industry when they can go work and have the government more than willing to pay them to sit on their ass...
                          Last edited by bucket; Nov 30, 2020, 09:15.

Comment

I don't know of many farmers that receive government help through an ad hoc payment that sit on their ass not trying to make a go of it...

There are a few ....but not many...

Comment

I went to the AGM's last year...the directors have their own agenda and only try to talk you into that narrative. ...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.