• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 weeks industry standard to wait for a cheque?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 weeks industry standard to wait for a cheque?

So I was enquiring about selling some canary and some peas getting prices and to my amazement more than one company told me I d have to wait 3 weeks for my cheque and that it was industry standard to do so?
    I don’t think so.
    There needs to be a change and our government needs to step in. Buyers need to have that money available either from the people they are selling to or perhaps our gov need to step up and provide loans or what ever it is to these companies so they have the cash available when we sell. If a foreign buyer defaults then the company and gov can deal with it. This bullshit that we have to take the risk of not getting our money has to end. We have enough worries and risk in getting our crop grown etc. And on top of that I want my money when I sell the grain.

When I challenged rhe one company to explain the best they could come up with is that the mail system is slow. Well I can electronic transfer money for anything in about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by the big wheel; Nov 24, 2020, 06:40.

Remi Gosselin of the CGC was on the radio the other day saying it was the producers right to be paid at time of delivery....although he didn't say he would enforce it and that the CGC's job....

The amount of money some of these processors have received from government ....every grainco should have the means to pay on delivery....

Absolute bullshit that they can make farmers finance their operations ...thats what banks are for...

AGT cold called me about grain one day and I asked how long to get paid....10 working days....so I quickly reminded the guy that AGT just received a big amount of money from the government ...and their competition will pay me when I walk back in after getting off the scale....I was quick to say no deal....I would take a penny less from the guy I can see the scale than have you guys pick it up, run short on weight and then take another two weeks to pay...

Doesn't anyone find it odd these companies have truckers pick up on a Friday for a Monday delivery...logistics sure but the gauges on the super B doesn't match the scale weight....a tonne here or there seems to go missing....

Comment

I could be wrong but my guess is that every grainco that sells has a letter of credit from the enduser before a vessel is loaded....meaning they are essentially paid before vancouver loads the boat....that could also mean the grainco like an AGT is paid for the commodity before the farmer is....unlikely but some of these so called grainco/processors/handlers are running payments out 20-30 days .....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        AGT cold called me about grain one day and I asked how long to get paid....10 working days....
        Thats pretty standard for those guys. A month sometimes but they are the only pulse handler within 50m of me so kind of just live with it.

For canola and wheat we dont deliver to anyone that cant cut a cheque on the scale.

Comment

I've got quite a few guys right now that I did custom work for, etc, that I wish would pay that quick.

Once the work they wanted done is finished, their phone seems to quit working.

Their name and number will be blocked after this is finsihed......

Comment

I brought this up a couple months ago and basically got chased off of Agriville. It should not be up to the producer to cash flow one Canada's Best Managed Companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
              I brought this up a couple months ago and basically got chased off of Agriville. It should not be up to the producer to cash flow one Canada's Best Managed Companies.
              I went back and read that thread.....nothing has changed since ILTA...and even ILTA shouldn't have went broke with rising prices...

Obviously no one looked at why they went broke just that the CGC would bail producers out eventually....my guess is that the principles of ILTA are working on another scam already ...

Who wouldn't when the end result is can walk away with money in your pocket and farmer money at the CGC to pay the bill...

Comment

Thats why if the price is even close I go to Richardson, Viterra, etc. You know their cheque is good and you can get it as soon as your off the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by farmboy44 View Post
                  Thats why if the price is even close I go to Richardson, Viterra, etc. You know their cheque is good and you can get it as soon as your off the scale.
                  Yes when I can also. But that’s why their price is sometimes a buck a bushel cheaper also. Which is another version of bullshit also.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                    Yes when I can also. But that’s why their price is sometimes a buck a bushel cheaper also. Which is another version of bullshit also.
                    Not necessarily. Delivering pulses to a processor presents a lot less cost of execution than taking it to a terminal and from there needing to put the grain on a rail car and send it to Vancouver. Its the same reason the crushers pay more for canola than the elevators going to port.

Comment

Not necessarily. Delivering pulses to a processor presents a lot less cost of execution than taking it to a terminal and from there needing to put the grain on a rail car and send it to Vancouver. Its the same reason the crushers pay more for canola than the elevators going to port.
                      Explain that please....

Wouldn't the bulk guys like Richardson do it for less?

That's interesting. And if correct that should put the processor on better financial to pay at scale?

Comment

Oh yes the joys of dealing with some of these outfits in the past....10 day payment turns into 8 weeks," oh we are moving to a different office, cheque will delayed." Another famous line, " our admin assistant is on holidays and she cuts the cheques so will be delayed."...…"oh we sent the cheque out it must have gotten lost, we will send another one next week!" I had to many sleepless nights to deal with these outfits, G3, Richardson, Viterra pay their bills on time.

Comment

The processor cleans it and puts it in a car or container. So??? They all get the same money to give to us for a raw product what they do after doesn’t matter to me. Just because they haven’t so called processed it at some point it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            Explain that please....

Wouldn't the bulk guys like Richardson do it for less?

That's interesting. And if correct that should put the processor on better financial to pay at scale?
                            you know as good as I do cost of freight is always on us! $60/mt rail freight + $20?? ocean etc costs add up to get it to a processor overseas for the line companies. If its processed on site the freight costs are zero (end user pays for product out)... Line companies model isnt built for specialty crops

Comment

you know as good as I do cost of freight is always on us! $60/mt rail freight + $20?? ocean etc costs add up to get it to a processor overseas for the line companies. If its processed on site the freight costs are zero (end user pays for product out)... Line companies model isnt built for specialty crops
                              Maybe im off base im sure Dave and guys with better experience on the industry side can explain better

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.