• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Trailers

Bin doing some metal work on older trailers for a farm I drive truck for , don't want to be dribbling $16 canola on our silk smooth #16 hyway. Just wonder ( along with trailer owner ) what brand or direction guys are going as far as replacement steel or aluminum ?

Seams to be both types on road these days

Notice lots of everything hauling to the crushers in Yorkton, but have really seen a resurgence of Doepker Steel Superbs, tons of them on the road and a lot more truck wash optons in the area should help keep the paint decent.

Comment

These load kings have been good but are about 1500kgs heavier than guys ahead of me in the lineups. We know they can't last forever.

Comment

Yes the Doepker steel and aluminum are the lightest trailers available right now. I personally think they are the best.
        I run the Legacy’s now and haul over 45T (at 63,500). I have small rock marks at the rear of both the lead and pup on the sides. This is their first winter. I don’t know where this is from, I just assume it is from the air swirling and sucking stones up. Anyway, I would assume this would eventually be rust spots in steel walls.
        With the winds lately, I am curious if the fully enclosed trailers (Distinction, Wilson etc) pull easier and give better fuel economy. I hear that rumour but nobody is ever able to quantify it. If true it might be worth it because fuel cost adds up.
        I had Wilson super B’s before and could only haul 43T, so I am 2000kg lighter with the Legacy’s. I didn’t notice any real difference in pulling in crosswinds.
        For sure my next trailers will have disc brakes and lift axles. Lift axles primarily for easier pulling in the winter, less drag through the snow and hopefully shift some more weight onto the drive axles. I imagine a fully optioned trailer pair will be $200k in another three years though the way things are going.

Comment

I think everybody I know who’s changed trailers lately has gone with Titan but maybe it’s just an Ontario thing

Comment

Open ended corrugated steel doepker vs closed end smooth wall Wilson's in a 40mph cross wind pull about 70hp harder. Pulled with a fella that had Wilson's, I had doepker. I was 620hp, he was 550. I could pull away from him all the time, but with a stiff cross wind we were about equal.

Lift axles add weight, system complexity, and added repair expense. I found no long term advantage regarding tire wear, or brake wear. Weight transfer to drives was not significant enough on empty trailers to make much of a difference in low traction environments. They were nice for turning tight on grass in farmyards, and did give less drag when turning in loose snow. IMHO, the minor gains were more than offset by the negatives. Would not get another set with lift axles.

Comment

Have doepker super bees for about 5 years bought new and they still look new. automatic openers and disk brakes and lift axels no complaints I can get 45000 net kg in trailer and still legal.

Comment

Good info on lifts, good to hear experiences. I figure the disc brake weight savings would offset some of the extra lift axle weight but if it makes no difference in pulling then perhaps not worth it. Have never pulled trains with lifts so don’t know.

I did look at the Titan super B last spring and liked a lot about them. They were just slightly heavier than the Distinctions, but not a lot (couple of hundred kg I recall). Lighter than the newest Wilson’s. I like that they are unpainted and 100% aluminum. They were same price or more expensive than the Legacy’s though and I was not willing to pay for the extra weight. They look exceptionally minimal maintenance. I will look at them again next time. Washing these trailers is a waste of money in the winter. Hard to get in and out for less than $150 and they get dirty and salty again so fast.

Comment

Found my old notes on weights (Doepker is the only one that publishes a base weight, it took a lot of work to get the other weights). Titan was less than Lode King Distinction. Newest Wilson design same weight as Distinction. Can’t verify any of these weights, just what dealers and manufacturers told me.

Titan: 20,900lbs
                  Doepker: 19,600lbs (published)
                  Lode King: 21,600lbs
                  Wilson: 21,600lbs.

Comment

So the lifts and disc brakes must add a fair cost to trailers ? Heard new trailer hubs are grease not oil is that true if so how's that working out ?

Comment

I don't know but I've been told disc brakes can be brutally pricey to work on.

Comment

What about freezing up disc compared to the old drums ?

Comment

If I was actually considering purchasing I would not look at anything but a Doepker.

I have a good working arrangement with a trucking company and Cargill so I don't haul much myself. With the line ups I hear about and see I am not sure I want to spend the time trucking my own. The trucks don't run for free either and I try to fix what I can myself but it really makes me question if it really pays to haul everything by oneself

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                            What about freezing up disc compared to the old drums ?
                            Never had trouble with disk brake when cold. Had lots of trouble with the drums. If I remember right was about a 4000 dollar option.

Comment

This info sure helps everyone, thanks. I was hit with quite a few questions from the boss at the Friday ( info-happyhour meeting) so maybe something in the works.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.