• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are we paying for?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are we paying for?

Excuse me for saying, but I think we could be doing better.
    Between our three prairie provinces, we're paying tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars annually in producer checkoffs.
    I'm not going to criticize the provincial commissions cause I think they have good intentions.
    But what if we, as producers, requested refunds on all of our checkoffs and invested the money instead into farmer-owned infrastructure.
    New farmer-owned terminals and storage facilities, logistics companies, transportation enterprises , export companies, brokerages and marketing arms.
    As farmers, we are the foundation of the Canadian supply chain.
    We produce and control the products that everyone else needs.
    And remember, we're talking about some big budgets here. Hundreds of millions annually.
    What is the combined value of all checkoffs in Sask, Man, an Alta?
    If we used those checkoffs to our advantage, how influential could we be in domestic and international markets?
    Before you be saying anything, I'm not a Commie or an NDPer. Just a common sense guy who thinks there's gotta be a better way.

Good points and then look at announcements like Protein Industries Canada makes for minimum demand created.

Merit Functional foods received 100 million dollars of taxpayer money for 25000 tonnes of annual demand...that doesn't half fill a terminal.

100 million would have built 3 terminal and handled almost 1 million tonnes.

Roquette received money as well into their 600 million dollar plant.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Good points and then look at announcements like Protein Industries Canada makes for minimum demand created.

Merit Functional foods received 100 million dollars of taxpayer money for 25000 tonnes of annual demand...that doesn't half fill a terminal.

100 million would have built 3 terminal and handled almost 1 million tonnes.

Roquette received money as well into their 600 million dollar plant.

Exactly, and don't get me started on Coutts Agro.
      How many millions? And an expected return of what?
      Please explain to me how this benefits Cdn ag more than Coutts ag?

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillyWillie View Post
        I can't because it doesn't make sense .

Maybe someone else can...

Comment

Farmer owned Co-ops, wasn't that tried already?

Comment

It would take a minimum of three years to send a message to the commissions. They have a full year in reserve.

And every farmer would have to be on board with requesting funds back...once the snowball starts...

It was mentioned at the AGM the concerns for a couple percent increase in requests for refunds.

Comment

I now question the commissions aa well.
              What we seem to lack is political representation and supposedly that is what we're paying for. Lately a perceived disconnect. We are still decades behind in our lobbying organization and presence. We do not want to own much infrastructure. No history of success here.
              In judging our current status consider this. Support of Code of Practice as presented with no response akin to NRA supporting lefty gun laws as written.
              I suggest everyone take back their money until they get off whatever trip they're on.

Comment

Another group formed last week...

Agriculture Carbon Alliance.

People at the head of it are just staff from other farm groups.

Want more per diem....form another group and extract money from the provincial organizations...then ask for representation for the fee.

If you look back at the people involved in farm organizations. ...and it's the same people for the most part...the ones that want to accomplish something leave or are pushed out....

What have the ones that stuck around accomplished. ?

What has APAS accomplished in its time?

BRMs have been on the table for 9 years since they were gutted.

Etc etc etc.they have made a job out of trying to do nothing.

Comment

To add....the american farmers have received almost 100 billion in funding ...in the same time western Canadian farmers have paid nearly 500 million in checkoffs....with zero return on that money.

Zero lobbying efforts , zero politicians taking up some of the issues, zero ...lots of ink and paper used for nothing in return.

There was more press about farmers in India than farmers in Canada since January 1st.

Inputs through the roof., contracts lagging in delivery, zero press.

Just back patting to the railways and talk of high grain prices to justify doing SFA...

Want proof....here is part of a response from Grain Growers of Canada to my questions

""""
                  Now with respect to your comments regarding Covid relief or support and why the grain sector didn’t get any or why GGC didn’t advocate for any- to be eligible for that relief you would have to demonstrate that you were negatively impacted by Covid. Throughout the pandemic, for the most part grain prices remained strong - we’re seeing some of the highest commodity prices now than we have ever and markets, even those that were previously closed/limited have re-opened (soybeans, canola, lentils into India). it’s pretty difficult to make the case that our sector required some form of relief during the pandemic when for the most part, prices and movement were strong.""""""

They dont even have the intelligence to google the value of dollar since any previous high set in grain prices..

Index it from 1976 and wheat would be worth 20 bucks.

Index it from 2010 and we would be higher as well...

Funny how machinery and inputs get indexed and are justified but high grain prices are excuse to do SFA.
                  Last edited by bucket; Mar 7, 2021, 09:19.

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillyWillie View Post
                    https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-supercluster-investment-to-improve-on-farm-logistics-and-food-traceability-821310563.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...