• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real Life Yellowstone?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Life Yellowstone?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/public-private-access-minnie-stoney-lake-ranch-appeal-court-merritt-1.5938741?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Douglas Lake Ranch, just won a court battle to keep people from fishing in Lakes on the ranch. Good for them, anything to help set property rights.

I’m all for property rights but is it right to deny access to public property?

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
      You are aware natural bodies of water belong to all Canadians, right?

Once again, follow the money.
      Yes but they have to get there first and if there is no public road allowance to get there it's kinda a problem. Would it be ok to cross your land however and whenever I want to access a lake?

Comment

Welfare cowboys are alive and well I see ,lease holders here doing basicly same thing here , fu-ckup the road allowances and wont let you on deeded land to get to rivers. Don't know if BC is surveyed like alta ,with road allowances or just surveyed roads. Either way if they are caught fishing on crown lakes they should be penilized for trespassing same as public on deeded lands.
        How much of douglas Lake is leased from the crown AKA PUBLIC LAND.

Comment

Being in this sort of situation at one time it is a pain in the butt dealing with “the public” on your property accessing public land. It is a good faith contract between both parties for access but there are some who don’t respect private or public property.

Comment

If the queen wants to access her lake she needs a right of way across my land.
            Why should the public be different from a pipeline.

Comment

So it’s okay for natives to restrict access to lakes on right of ways across their property but not for other land owners? Not disputing public access just duplicity in how law is followed.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                And such, one should be provided.

I wouldn’t want to deal with the public either, it’s simply a law that should have been upheld. You know when you purchase the property you’ll have to deal with the public.

But if you have enough money apparently you can change that too.

How would everyone feel if the wealth of the world owned all privately held property around public areas and denies access, this is just a smaller scale situation. Don’t laugh it could happen, government certainly isn’t going to help stop it.

Ethics and government are polar opposites.
                Ethics and money about the same.
                I do understand your point and dont entirely disagree. Anglers as a group likely better than hunters and campers. But where is the line, technically any wetland on your property as long as it's not seasonal still qualifies to it's high water mark. So should you provide access through your crop for bird watching, camping, why not a campfire on the banks?

Some people are responsible users, most are not. Garbage, gates left open, property damage just a few of the main concerns. I actually have a "river" accross my land and has never been an issue here but most of the year I can jump accross it so not really the best fishing or boating river.

There are some land titles in Alberta that do actually own the water body, depends how they were written. There was something different about Hudson Bay company land too in regards to water ways.

Perhaps I dont see things the same as most, but I would prefer to see much more public access land and parks in general than we have now while at the same time giving private landowners the right to restrict entry.

Comment

Any watercourse or waterbody shown in the color Blue on the original Crown Grant sketch, in BC and AB, was exempted from title (remains Crown).
                  Was up to the land officer at the time to provide for access (parcel boundaries shown in color Red) if deemed in the public interest. The Crown today (ie Government) always has expropriation powers if they need to be exercised ‘in the public interest’.

Comment

Drop in from above with an airplane!! Peoplekind on the surrounding shores will quake in wonder when they realize they can’t do anything but give you the finger

Comment

If everyone could just close off access at will, can you imagine the road grid? Here in southern Sask there is pretty much a road of some sort every mile and the grid roads are uninterrupted and straight. I am not sure how RM’s with large pastures and native grass plan roads.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        If everyone could just close off access at will, can you imagine the road grid? Here in southern Sask there is pretty much a road of some sort every mile and the grid roads are uninterrupted and straight. I am not sure how RM’s with large pastures and native grass plan roads.
                        Access is assured because a 66ft road allowance is surveyed on the 1 by 2 mile grid. It actually isn’t the landowner’s land even though they may farm it.

Comment

[QUOTE=jwab

Crossing public land
                          Uplands may have to be crossed to reach a Crown-owned water body or watercourse. In these cases, permission from the landowner or Crown land leaseholder should be obtained.[/QUOTE]

Kind of two conficting things in that website that adds to ftustration for both parties. It says “crossing public land” then goes on to say you should get permission from the “landowner” or leaseholder.

If we are talking about crossing public land is the landowner not the Government, as you can’t be a landowner of public land can you?

Comment

As i understand it the ranch land in question is deeded not leased. https://globalnews.ca/news/7680205/b...y-wins-appeal/

Comment

https://www.mmlc.ca/article24.htm

Apparately the rules in BC and maybe every where look to include public access across deeded land if the road or trail existed when the deed was sold. Hope the above link worked.

One of the contentious parts if the story is that the Douglas Lake ranch has built special buildings and is selling fishing vacations on these 2 lakes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.