• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold enough for you?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold enough for you?

Kinda feel sorry for the livestock and their owners. I guess it's bearable out of the wind. And to think we were dumb enough to try and calv cows in this type of weather this time of year.

Its good weather to aerate rusty grain beetles.

We have to remember where we live and it was only a matter of time before we got the Arctic blast.

Thank goodness for that energy rich packed natural gas, fuel oil, hydrocarbons. I'm sure SaskEnergy will be setting consumption records again.

Stay warm, travel safe and take care.......its outright dangerous out there.

Hey do not feel bad for me or my sheep. It is great and invigorating doing chores these days. Sheep are tough. Also been snaring coyotes, and there is something about the cold air that I love. I also note how quiet an peaceful it is outdoors. No one else is moving, so it is so quiet and calm.

I am not normal, I love this weather.

Comment

Cold enough for you? Crap how many times have i heard that over christmas. Answer is yup!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Hey do not feel bad for me or my sheep. It is great and invigorating doing chores these days. Sheep are tough. Also been snaring coyotes, and there is something about the cold air that I love. I also note how quiet an peaceful it is outdoors. No one else is moving, so it is so quiet and calm.

I am not normal, I love this weather.
        I guess if no man or beast is shivering....then no need to feel sorry.

A good dose of cold(understatment) outside air is better than 24 hours a day seven days a week of old stale house air.

Comment

I saw this on Twitter from Brad Wall today. Any other sayings that should be outlawed when it is this cold?
          Take care and Happy New Year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bradwall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	766144

Comment

No one wants to admit we live and farm in the subarctic.

The subarctic is a region in the Northern Hemisphere immediately south of the true Arctic and covering much of Alaska, Canada, Iceland, the north of Scandinavia, Siberia, and the Shetland Islands. Generally, subarctic regions fall between 50°N and 70°N latitude, depending on local climates.

Subarctic - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subarctic

Comment

Some warmth for you. 5th and 6th jan

Name:	Capture weather.JPG
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	766145

Comment

Well my oldest got home late last night and guess what a new 2017 through a code and the DEF froze so it won’t run. Great climate we live in all you solar panel Mother’s can go to hell. We need nice stable natural gas to keep us warm and enough of this useless polution shit for California a bankrupt state. Dumb leading the stupid.

Comment

reading this morning parts of i think BC are without power.

so most of you guys have back up generators in the basement or what?

and didnt ask any of you in my travels is heating for houses, gas coal electric wood or what? Presume cities are gas and rural are wood or coal ?

Is wheat at risk anywere in usa from freeze but american wheat crop always has nine lives this is life number one perhaps

Comment

Thanks for posting Mallee...make sure you wear sunscreen.

Here is what we are looking at for winter cold temperatures.

Name:	cold.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	766146

Comment

Central Alberta -27 with a wind chill of -33 right now. Just discovered a cool website. The Alberta Electrical System Operator(AESO) has a cool sight that shows up to the minute supply and demand. Total generation capacity is roughly 16600 MW. Consumption the last few days has ranged from 10500 MW up to 11500 MW at the highest point. Wind generation capacity is 1445 MW. Looked at it a bit ago and the wind power being generated was 4 MW and that is not a mis print. Over the last 5 days the highest I have seen the wind is 145 MW. There are 20 wind installations listed most are producing 0 when I look. In most cases over 95% of the power being produced is from coal and natural gas roughly 50% split. At present 8.5% of generation capacity is wind. Highest I have seen it produce at is at 10% of capacity. So even if 30% of our generation capacity was wind it would amount to sweet f#*k all. The Brooks solar farm I thought was finished(15 MW) but I have yet to see it produce a single watt. So when it is cold with no wind renewable energy is a proven bust!!!! For those who think I am full of shit, Google it, read it and weep😩

Comment

Mallee , 90% of the rural homes around here are heated with natural gas , probably 9% heating diesel and 1 percent wood . The odd guy uses electric heat or an outdoor furnace using coal. Very rare tho

Comment

Thank Grant Devine for a province wide natural gas distribution system in Saskatchewan during his premiership.

Bucket is correct. Little to no vision since then, and solar and wind just don't cut it in this environment.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                            Some warmth for you. 5th and 6th jan
                            [ATTACH]2420[/ATTACH]
                            Geez I broke into a sweat just reading that...

Comment

Just looked again at the AESO sight. Out of 1445 potential MW production wind is producing 1 MW. 1 out of 20 wind farms are producing and only 1 MW out of 88 at that sight. Question for fans of renewables. Are you willing to freeze in the dark at -30? At 1 MW even if you had battery storage it wouldn't amount to much. Even if the electricity is cheap you can't buy what doesn't exist lol!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.