• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutrients in Fruits and Vegetables

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parsley View Post
    Saskatchewan has historically been woefully deficient in selineum, almost none; and continues to be. I spoke to a PHD student from NYC who told me about her dissertation re nutritional-values in food. Regional. International. Comparative. She was quite amazed at the prevelance of multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan; the lack of selenium in patients suffering from. MS, and the absence of it in our soils.

Thought I'd mention her comments as I found them interesting. Pars
    I don’t see how our own soil selenium correlates when most canadians have a diet rich with imported food?

Vitamin D deficiency or lack of sunlight exposure has a far more measurable correlation to MS. Maybe a V.d deficiency is causing lack of selineum absorption.

This is proven true with calcium and V. d deficiency.

Every Canadian should be supplementing V. d during the winter months.

Quoted from the link below:

“ Vitamin D has other roles in the body, including modulation of cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, and reduction of inflammation [1,3,4]. Many genes encoding proteins that regulate cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis are modulated in part by vitamin D [1]. Many cells have vitamin D receptors, and some convert 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D.“

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Comment

Originally posted by parsley View Post
      Saskatchewan has historically been woefully deficient in selineum, almost none; and continues to be. I spoke to a PHD student from NYC who told me about her dissertation re nutritional-values in food. Regional. International. Comparative. She was quite amazed at the prevelance of multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan; the lack of selenium in patients suffering from. MS, and the absence of it in our soils.

Thought I'd mention her comments as I found them interesting. Pars
      The veterinary industry is way ahead of the curve. Out here in west central AB, on the grey wooded soils, it is well known that our soils are desperately short on Selenium ( and most every other nutrient), we have to add Selenium to the salt and minerals, at rates well above the maximum allowed level, in years past before feeding vitamins was common, calves needed a shot of Selenium within a few days, or even immediately after birth or else many would get white muscle disease. Last year when we couldn't source vitamins due to the shortage, we had no end of trouble with calves, and inexplicable cow problems too, reverted back to giving the calves a shot at birth and had no more calf problems.

It often amazes me that we seem to know exactly what a cow, pig, chicken, dog cat etc. is meant to eat, and what to feed them to get what outcomes, we test and analyze their feed, yet remain strangely conflicted about what humans are meant to eat.

Comment

https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/10/25/organic-food-consumption-lowers-overall-cancer-risks-in-large-scale-study-of-french-adults/#.XDNDdFwzbIU

Comment

The truth about organic food and cancer | Popular Science
          https://www.popsci.com › organic-food-c...

Comment

Quote from link.

"After noting the strengths and weaknesses of the NutriNet-Santé study, and comparable results from other large-scale studies of diet-health outcomes (e.g. Million Women Study), Hemler et al. write “the relationship between organic food consumption and cancer is still unclear,” a key point that is hard to argue with.

As expected, they call for more research, and in particular, similar studies with a more rigorous method for quantifying pesticide dietary exposure and cancer risk, coupled with careful control of possible confounding factors. Solid and sound advice."

Comment

No, Organic Food Doesn't Reduce Cancer Risk. That's Biologically ...
              https://www.acsh.org › news › 2018/10/22

Comment

After spending 12$ on a dozen eggs, they can't afford to buy smokes.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                  Thought the resolution was not to feed the trolls?
                  add that user to your ignore list. works well.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    The veterinary industry is way ahead of the curve. Out here in west central AB, on the grey wooded soils, it is well known that our soils are desperately short on Selenium ( and most every other nutrient), we have to add Selenium to the salt and minerals, at rates well above the maximum allowed level, in years past before feeding vitamins was common, calves needed a shot of Selenium within a few days, or even immediately after birth or else many would get white muscle disease. Last year when we couldn't source vitamins due to the shortage, we had no end of trouble with calves, and inexplicable cow problems too, reverted back to giving the calves a shot at birth and had no more calf problems.

It often amazes me that we seem to know exactly what a cow, pig, chicken, dog cat etc. is meant to eat, and what to feed them to get what outcomes, we test and analyze their feed, yet remain strangely conflicted about what humans are meant to eat.
                    WHite muscle disease is a good reminder for me. Thanks, Alberta Farmer.

In NZ, pregnant mothers are tested for nutrients in their systems, and prescribed accordingly. Would be beneficial if all Cndn families could purchase a small personal meter to measure their nutritive deficiencies at home. Cleft palates, for example, would be eliminated. pars

Comment

What is amazing, is that the work that farmers do, the varying foods you produce, has an amazing effect on Canadians; on humanity. A gratifying effect. That's big stuff. Pars

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
                        No, Organic Food Doesn't Reduce Cancer Risk. That's Biologically ...
                        https://www.acsh.org › news › 2018/10/22
                        Ahh, the ACSH, yes. George W. endorses them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM

Comment

If you starve to death you will never be alive to be sick from whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                            If you starve to death you will never be alive to be sick from whatever.
                            Is that you George?

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                              Austranada when you have health issues do you go to a university educated doctor or a herbal doctor? Do you take medication scientifically engineered or do you rely on alternative forms? If diagnosed with a serious illness like cancer would you accept a fighting chance remedy or would it be tomatoes and marijuana?

Just asking because you are dead against anything progressive and that's ok because that's your choice. Why ram it down everyone else's throat though. You seem to be here to cause problems instead of intelligent debate.
                              Shall I repost some of your less than intelligent responses from other threads?

http://www.bionutrient.org/site/news/nutrient-dense-crops

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.