• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weyburn Review Article About Indian Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weyburn Review Article About Indian Farmers

Premier Scott Moe comments comparing Indian farmers being given their freedom from CWB - like marketing regime.

What I gather from the India situation is Modi is a Hindu and the farmers who are protesting are Sihks. Lots of small landhold farmers whom were content with govt program giving them a guaranteed price for their grain. Maybe Moe knows more about it than I do but he should keep his trap shut about other countries domestic affairs. I think this is more about a pissin match between Hindus and Sihks.

Comment

https://www.weyburnreview.com/news/local-business/india-is-going-through-something-similar-to-our-dissolution-of-the-cwb-1.24284507

The article attempts to shed a little light on the basis for the Indian protests. IMO it does a pretty good job compared to the fluff pieces you normally see in main street media. This issue is a deep one for India. In this case I do believe that we as Canadian farmers will be better off with the changes. India's attempt to meddle in agricultural markets doesn't work. To my knowledge India has not been taken to WTO for their continual meddling in the pulse trade. To look at this an other way too , Do you think the Indian farmer is better or worse off when the govt dictates so much in their business. ? Looks to me that they are not in a good way now but don't know how to get out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
        https://www.weyburnreview.com/news/local-business/india-is-going-through-something-similar-to-our-dissolution-of-the-cwb-1.24284507

The article attempts to shed a little light on the basis for the Indian protests. IMO it does a pretty good job compared to the fluff pieces you normally see in main street media. This issue is a deep one for India. In this case I do believe that we as Canadian farmers will be better off with the changes. India's attempt to meddle in agricultural markets doesn't work. To my knowledge India has not been taken to WTO for their continual meddling in the pulse trade. To look at this an other way too , Do you think the Indian farmer is better or worse off when the govt dictates so much in their business. ? Looks to me that they are not in a good way now but don't know how to get out of it.
        Kinda what I gather as well. India has 500 million plus farmers or close to half the population. A large part of the demographic still. Any change to policy for better or worse is going to shake things up. They are stuck in that if farms consolidate some. What do you do with the influx to the cities? Keeping them on the land keeps that at bay some but fighting it with policy puts you in a pickle like now.

Comment

Sounds like 1960's Canada, 1950's USA. Too many farmers...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.