• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
    So the lifts and disc brakes must add a fair cost to trailers ? Heard new trailer hubs are grease not oil is that true if so how's that working out ?
    New Hendrickson hubs are indeed synthetic grease hubs... I'm not necessarily a fan. Sure you dont get wheel seal leaks, ,but wheel seals do not leak of their own accord, typically they are a precursor to bearing failure. They are considered service free for a period of 7 years. Then they're supposed to be all pulled off, cleaned, inspected, and repacked just like the old days.

As far as disc brakes go... yes, they are expensive. They do not freeze like drum brakes do, but if you follow proper procedures they are mostly freeze free. They are supposed to be free of brake fade, but damn, I don't know what sort of situation you would have to get yourself into to lose drum brakes. I used to drag while descending mountain grades and never once in my life ever experience brake fade. It takes ALOT to get them so hot that they fail. They are also supposed to be stronger brakes. But then I can make a set of properly setup drum brakes lock right up fully loaded.

One of the biggest reasons for trucking companies to go with disc brakes is the non-greaseable nature of them. Plenty of drivers that refuse to touch a grease gun, and if you don't lube them, drum brakes start getting pricey when replacing slacks, tubes, and S-cams every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
      The trucks don't run for free either and I try to fix what I can myself but it really makes me question if it really pays to haul everything by oneself
      They most certainly don't run for free... On any truck, new or old, 30-40K workorders on engines are certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Newer ones are frequent visitors to service centers for check engine lights. And if you're running a yellow engine under the hood, parts are getting harder and harder to come by.

For rough figures... Here's my list of $$$ repairs over the lifetime of ownership.
      -35K Platinum rebuild on C15 engine in 2013
      -11K reman transmission replacement in 2013 (reman provided by Pacific Truck out of Edmonton - stay away from these if at all possible)
      -16K reman transmission replacement in 2017 (provided directly from Eaton - acquired stateside. Every single component is NEW except for the cast steel housing)
      -42K Platinum+ rebuild in 2020 (No labor included in that. Labor in the cost would have been 50K)

And that's just the "Majors"...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
        They most certainly don't run for free... On any truck, new or old, 30-40K workorders on engines are certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Newer ones are frequent visitors to service centers for check engine lights. And if you're running a yellow engine under the hood, parts are getting harder and harder to come by.

For rough figures... Here's my list of $$$ repairs over the lifetime of ownership.
        -35K Platinum rebuild on C15 engine in 2013
        -11K reman transmission replacement in 2013 (reman provided by Pacific Truck out of Edmonton - stay away from these if at all possible)
        -16K reman transmission replacement in 2017 (provided directly from Eaton - acquired stateside. Every single component is NEW except for the cast steel housing)
        -42K Platinum+ rebuild in 2020 (No labor included in that. Labor in the cost would have been 50K)

And that's just the "Majors"...
        It is true if you own a truck you are constantly fixing. I am 15 miles to several delivery options. If I was to pay $7 a tonne (estimated because it has been a few years) on all my grain it would be far more expensive. Generally lineups aren't too crazy or we will shutdown and haul another day.

Now if I had to haul 50 miles or farther ... I might reconsider.

Comment

How is the paint on a steel Lodeking compared to Doepker? Anybody have first hand experience?

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            How is the paint on a steel Lodeking compared to Doepker? Anybody have first hand experience?
            Have done paint on both ... older trailers had cheap paint... rock chips... corrosion... my loadking with galvanized running gear /alum double wall enclosed combo is the best... but they don't make them any more... they all are money magnets... but my loadking has been the best hands down bought new. with a real light day cab tandem old freightliner... cheapest to run... but not a 'fast ride'!!!

Cheers
            Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 22, 2021, 06:07.

Comment

Have had Legacy for five years. Best I’ve ever owned.
              Just to be different, I like lifts. Have had no trouble with them, previous trailer too. Turning empty on snow, or anytime and it’s nice. Does it pay? Not sure.
              I also have an oscillating fifth on them to lessen twisting in and out of fields. Suppose that adds weight too but it looks like it’s worth it.
              Grease hubs have been perfect so far. Surprisingly they roll easier than oil ones when starting out on a -35 morning

This is third set of Doepker trailers I’ve owned. When everyone compares the rest to Doepker, kinda tells you what you need to know.

Comment

And, if you this helps any they're Canadian made.
                And steel is a poor investment.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  And, if you this helps any they're Canadian made.
                  And steel is a poor investment.
                  1. Can't beat tridem hopper trailer with lifts for pulling around in snowy or slippery yards...
                  2. Oscillator 5th wheels with grease banks are best especially for rough terrain in farming application...
                  3. Doepker has some better engineering build features in Steel... added them to LodeKings when rebuilt...plus SS light boxes and good heavy steel swivel tow hooks on Rear main crossmember...put wiring in conduit when rewired....
                  4. Steel subframes on all... [5th wheel/axle subframes] which all need paint upkeep...
                  5. $50K/trailer is easy to spend on complete rebuild... then better to buy new than rebuild...
                  6. I like Canadian built better than Wilson... US engineering not as good as S-bees are Canadian invention...
                  7. Alum slope sheets can wear out... load grain over hopper slide openings first to reduce wear...
                  8. Gravel guard early on subframes can extend trailer life [to stop stone chipping/corrosion]...
                  9. High quality synthetic hub oil can't be beat... seals seeping is good warning of wheel bearing issues...
                  10. Check trailers and maintain poly-glue/caulk on any seems that meet before rust and corrosion sets in...
                  11. Nice electric tarp openers on remotes are sure handy- make sure they have good tarp vents...
                  12. Cracking tire sidewalls on retreads [not enough miles]make them useless for farms... steel wheel paint never lasts...hopper openers on both sides...

Cheers
                  Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 23, 2021, 03:56.

Comment

Yes did talk to couple of guys that did rebuild never again just didn't pencil out. Wiring on loadking has been good had to do a rewire on front trailer after a -30 blown tire incident after that just replacing a few blown pots . Its what we can't see thats starting to be a concern also.

Comment

I have a friend working at one of the big trailer retailers repair etc in Edmonton. He sees it all. Great info source. Good luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.