• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Yep 👍.

Even the Hutts didn’t seem that happy.

Had to prove to myself early at sunrise if it worked or not. Picks nice feeds nice even chops well. Grain tank still way to much snow and neighbour tried drying bottom pure mush. Lots called it today.

She’s done.
    You have more SNOW than N of Wadena. Standing Canola combined every COLD day. Never heard moisture, those seem not to test anyway. Pioneer says up to 50% green. Wheat and oats swathed after the snow picked up yesterday.

Comment

At the end of the day does it really matter the percentage left in the field? The markets haven’t shown any response to it since the first snow in Sept.
      Problem is there is a lot of carryover for most crops, so that will make up anything left out.
      Demand is low, and sales are at a hand to mouth situation. If a market gets “shorted” yes their maybe a tickle up to cover it, then down it goes. Other countries are picking up anything we can’t supply, and buying it cheaper.
      Hope the stealerships picked up their brooms early, can’t see much “pre” bookings going on.

Comment

What is short.
        Malt bly.
        Ours was jan to March.
        Going next week.

Comment

Oh boo hoo you wanna be Canadian farmer. Just look and talk to people. But you know everything
          Who is the wanna be farmer? I've farmed full time with no off-farm income coming into the house for 19 years in Canada and for 18 before that in Scotland.
          You on the other hand appear to be a career civil servant who only farms part time, albeit on a grander scale, if you want to count acres or combines.
          I've relied on primary agriculture for my entire livelihood which is something you don't appear to have needed to do. I also know how to drive from eastern Saskatchewan to Red Deer without going into Manitoba.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            Who is the wanna be farmer? I've farmed full time with no off-farm income coming into the house for 19 years in Canada and for 18 before that in Scotland.
            You on the other hand appear to be a career civil servant who only farms part time, albeit on a grander scale, if you want to count acres or combines.
            I've relied on primary agriculture for my entire livelihood which is something you don't appear to have needed to do. I also know how to drive from eastern Saskatchewan to Red Deer without going into Manitoba.

Comment

What'd you think of that unit?

They look slightly sexier than the old orange belarus units.

You'd still likely have to do most of your fieldwork during the dark of night and park it back in the shed before daylight to avoid ridicule, but then most of my "antiques" are far from show-stoppers anyway...

Comment

It’s bad to leave crop out. It is a terrible feeling. It’s almost like having a bad illness. If you have crop out it was preceded by a huge effort and fight to get the what you got in. And despite best efforts and massive energy spent...Baam!! The weather gets you. It’s over!

And you hope and pray you get weird weather in November and that there is another chance. You go and try combining in all unusual conditions and nothing works. All the old timers have a story about having Christmas dinner on the combine in 1954 etc..It is very consuming mentally and physically...takes a toll on you.

2009 had a rough year combined 1/2 the crop in November....made it through. 2016 has 16 inches of snow Oct 5....half the crop out! Lost all October...did another 25% in November 1 week opening....left the other 25% out. Harvested the rest in May 2017...between crop insurance, and the prices for spring grain....ended up a good average year. Starved in the winter as didn’t get rest of the cash till July.

So I sat down and looked at what I can do to compensate for these risks. I did the following:

1. Bought another combine, used, decent price. It’s not a beauty, but it takes of 25% of the crop.
                2. Stop spending on inputs for top crop yields instead went for a good crop.
                3. Grew lower cost crops and priced way ahead for margin maximization.
                4. Stopped spending money ahead of earning it.
                5. Try to do everything myself...no custom work.

2017 got the crop off 2 weeks before snow.
                2018 got the crop off 1 week before snow.
                2019 got the crop off 1 day before snow.

I saw a farmer with $80,000 airplane applicator bill the other day. Plus the chemical...would add another $180,000....fungicide year plots yields on my land didn’t pay the applicators bill. Glad it’s not my bill...I feel sorry for him.

Farmers need to start getting cheap again...we can’t pay for the equipment, we can put every thing on the crop, and FFS why do farmers need to pay $10 for an Agronomist...it’s your crop figure it out yourself and pay yourself the $10.

Its tough out there...it’s going to get worse...our assets will go down in value...we are on our own to figure it out. The best comebacks only happen after a setback... so the best will come back
                Last edited by Crestliner; Nov 7, 2019, 19:05.

Comment

Ah grass your so hilarious. Scotland misses you.

Part time farmer that’s hilarious.

Carrier civically servant. Wow

Try something unique to post.

Comment

Crestliner we have 4 farms in 20 mile radius of our farm that are done. Explain what more we could of done? Please

It didn’t matter small large or in between 21 days didn’t cut it, this year.

Comment

Crestliner we have 4 farms in 20 mile radius of our farm that are done. Explain what more we could of done? Please

It didn’t matter small large or in between 21 days didn’t cut it, this year.
                      As they say hindsight is 20/20....21 days for 10,000 acres is 500 acres per day. 500 per day with 3 combines of tough slugging is asking a lot. We use to do 10,000 with 3 S680 combines and then got hooked in 2016 with 25% left out.

Got a cheaper S680 and filled the seat with another old timer...it really has helped us barely get done each year. 2500 acres per combine is the limit if you want to do a good job, save grain and be able to slug a wet crop through.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
                        As they say hindsight is 20/20....21 days for 10,000 acres is 500 acres per day. 500 per day with 3 combines of tough slugging is asking a lot. We use to do 10,000 with 3 S680 combines and then got hooked in 2016 with 25% left out.

Got a cheaper S680 and filled the seat with another old timer...it really has helped us barely get done each year. 2500 acres per combine is the limit if you want to do a good job, save grain and be able to slug a wet crop through.

Just my thoughts.
                        Certainly amazed that you can do 2500 acres per combine. In our area I would say 1000 acres per combine is more common. There are a few just over 2000 per combine. A grain cart and many sleepless nights allowed them to finish but just barely. One surprising thing I learned this fall is that Claas combines do not like tough swathed canola. One neighbor runs a Deere and a Claas 760, many many hours of plugged down time in the Claas. Great in wheat not in tough canola.

Comment

Dryer and three can do in a normal year easily. A guy with 10 still has 5000 acres out another guy with just as many have 7000 out. But you guys know.

It rained every second to the third day. It didn't at your place; that is what makes you an expert.

Comment

1500 is nice per combine here in the swamp
                            Lots have 2000 , always lots of straw here and usually shitty conditions
                            But this is usually an exceptionally tough area

Comment

It’s trying to rain. God I was hoping it would but a little on the cool side I don’t think we’ll get to plus 2 today to melt the snow

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.