• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The noise is terrifying, especially for small children.

Comment

Thistle doesn't like getting mowed off.
      If you just mow them with your hay mower on the way by about twice in one year that will get those patches. Cows might even eat the swath just for variety.
      Little patches you can throw a salt black in and the cows tramp them down.

Seem to come from feeding in the pastures.

Don't want to spray out the legumes with a residual product.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
        Thistle doesn't like getting mowed off.
        If you just mow them with your hay mower on the way by about twice in one year that will get those patches. Cows might even eat the swath just for variety.
        Little patches you can throw a salt black in and the cows tramp them down.

Seem to come from feeding in the pastures.

Don't want to spray out the legumes with a residual product.
        The sheep like thistles and most weeds immensely. But yeah after a couple years of cutting hay they disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          The sheep like thistles and most weeds immensely. But yeah after a couple years of cutting hay they disappear.
          I think they just move to my place.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
            I think they just move to my place.
            The sheep or the thistles?😉

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Finally finished up haying the other day and while the crop looked great only 2/3 or 3/4 of normal. Really good quality though.

The corn is loving the heat although some sandy spots are rolling up their leaves and wilting already. Could definitely use some more rain here.

It sure is nice to have a gate catcher and quad mover bouncing around with me these days😉
              The cereals seem to be doing pretty good but the canola is a different story.

Looks somewhat ok from the road but has lots of aborted pods. Apparently being seeded into powder, then getting flooded, and now getting baked daily isn’t a great combination. Still flowering so it has a chance to bounce back but the expectations are set quite low.

Definitely the best performance this year belongs to the pasture. I’m amazed at how well it’s doing. Loads of grasshoppers but the grass overtook them thankfully.

Just moved a bunch of heifers into a new quarter of pasture and it’s up to their bellies on the high ground and up to their backs in the low ground. Even made hay on a couple fields since it got so far ahead of them.

This week is supposed to be “showery” ……………. Hopefully it comes through as we could use some. Another interesting year as always here.

Gotta start controlling some thistles in the pasture as this is the year for them out here. Debating on buying a mower or spraying them. Really don’t want to kill the clover and alfalfa so maybe spending money on diesel and blades is the way to go. Now just to find an operator for it…………….🍀
              16-18 ac rate/jug pardner works pretty good if you can let thistles bud (maybe to late for baling)
              Sprayed our seed alfalfa yesterday
              Damn near kills thistles
              Has to be hot out
              Lots of water
              Doesn’t hurt alfalfa or red
              Will almost kill yellow clover if stars line up
              Last edited by Guest; Aug 2, 2022, 21:50.

Comment

Ever see partner on tansy?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                  Ever see partner on tansy?
                  You got that **** too? Burdock and white cockle are making their ugly presence be known as well. And the ever creepy poplars and willows😉

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...