• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Yes, a few farmers tried faba beans locally after a string of wet years, thinking they were the answer to tolerating the water. And of course it didn't rain, and they were pitiful. Which has scared me off of growing them.
    This goes back to my original post, if we had any decently usable long term forecasts, we could plan accordingly. Dry year such as last year, grow canola and barley, wet year such as this, faba beans, wheat. etc. I haven't found any forecasts to be that useful yet.
    Gotta say I think wheat is the better choice for dry years.

Comment

Originally posted by redleaf View Post
      Gotta say I think wheat is the better choice for dry years.
      Around here, it is the better choice for wet years and dry years and hail years and cold years and hot years.
      And just right years. Everything else is a wimp compared to wheat.

Comment

combines rolling in ontario in winter wheat and it’s good. now soy and corn poor due to dry conditions

Comment

combines rolling in ontario in winter wheat and it’s good. now soy and corn poor due to dry conditions

Comment

I wish I could send you our rain now Wiseguy. It rains every night intermingled with 4 inch and 2 inch thunderstorms. Our lentils are almost totally ruined and forecast is for more thunderstorms this week. Usually we are crying for rain. This year is different and rain path repeats again and again. We are sitting at 11 1/2 inches on the main farm ( where the poor lentils are drowning).

Comment

Finally finished up haying the other day and while the crop looked great only 2/3 or 3/4 of normal. Really good quality though.

The corn is loving the heat although some sandy spots are rolling up their leaves and wilting already. Could definitely use some more rain here.

It sure is nice to have a gate catcher and quad mover bouncing around with me these days😉
              The cereals seem to be doing pretty good but the canola is a different story.

Looks somewhat ok from the road but has lots of aborted pods. Apparently being seeded into powder, then getting flooded, and now getting baked daily isn’t a great combination. Still flowering so it has a chance to bounce back but the expectations are set quite low.

Definitely the best performance this year belongs to the pasture. I’m amazed at how well it’s doing. Loads of grasshoppers but the grass overtook them thankfully.

Just moved a bunch of heifers into a new quarter of pasture and it’s up to their bellies on the high ground and up to their backs in the low ground. Even made hay on a couple fields since it got so far ahead of them.

This week is supposed to be “showery” ……………. Hopefully it comes through as we could use some. Another interesting year as always here.

Gotta start controlling some thistles in the pasture as this is the year for them out here. Debating on buying a mower or spraying them. Really don’t want to kill the clover and alfalfa so maybe spending money on diesel and blades is the way to go. Now just to find an operator for it…………….🍀

Comment

Barley getting lodged more after last nights rains

Comment

rained in southern ontario spit spat and dump not every one got a shot.

leaving london to toronto this morning

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Finally finished up haying the other day and while the crop looked great only 2/3 or 3/4 of normal. Really good quality though.

The corn is loving the heat although some sandy spots are rolling up their leaves and wilting already. Could definitely use some more rain here.

It sure is nice to have a gate catcher and quad mover bouncing around with me these days😉
                      The cereals seem to be doing pretty good but the canola is a different story.

Looks somewhat ok from the road but has lots of aborted pods. Apparently being seeded into powder, then getting flooded, and now getting baked daily isn’t a great combination. Still flowering so it has a chance to bounce back but the expectations are set quite low.

Definitely the best performance this year belongs to the pasture. I’m amazed at how well it’s doing. Loads of grasshoppers but the grass overtook them thankfully.

Just moved a bunch of heifers into a new quarter of pasture and it’s up to their bellies on the high ground and up to their backs in the low ground. Even made hay on a couple fields since it got so far ahead of them.

This week is supposed to be “showery” ……………. Hopefully it comes through as we could use some. Another interesting year as always here.

Gotta start controlling some thistles in the pasture as this is the year for them out here. Debating on buying a mower or spraying them. Really don’t want to kill the clover and alfalfa so maybe spending money on diesel and blades is the way to go. Now just to find an operator for it…………….🍀
                      To help control thistle in our seed alfalfa fields we spray Partner when the thistles are blooming in July. Top growth control but if you hit them for a couple of years they really get thinned out. Won’t hurt alfalfa.

Comment

Couple more inches in thunderstorm last night. Should be enough to take this crop to the finish if Jack doesn’t get it first.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
                          Couple more inches in thunderstorm last night. Should be enough to take this crop to the finish if Jack doesn’t get it first.

The earth travails…

Blessings and Salutations

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post

The earth travails…

Blessings and Salutations
                            This is wild!!!

That car is totaled…

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                              This is wild!!!

That car is totaled…
                              That would really hurt…

Comment

Lots of flat/twisted bly after last night.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.