• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we could actually cut fertilizer and not cut production.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have to ask Sask govt how the expanding irrigation that they were bragging about last year is going to work with federal fertilizer reduction plan.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
      Might have to ask Sask govt how the expanding irrigation that they were bragging about last year is going to work with federal fertilizer reduction plan.
      The provincial government is so phucked on the irrigation plan.

85% of acres irrigated in saskatchewan are growing dryland crops. And with the weather we are having last 2 years the yields get cut.

People....think. once the pivot goes over the crop goes back to the heat. If you are standing in a 100f heatwave and someone dumps 40f water on you.....think.

If you took every planned and existing acre of irrigation and planted it to a dryland canola crop it wouldn't fill the demand of the crush expansion.

So those crush plants will rely on the dryland acres to fill the demand.

Why not support dryland farmers instead of giving a million dollar per quarter wealth transfer to 400 farmers.

Comment

No one has said to reduce fertilizer but they DID say to reduce Emission from fert by 30 per cent.

there are products now that stabilize nitrogen to prevent gassing of nitrous oxide. which by the way you can lose 30% or more by broadcasting at the Wrong time or putting in the ground at a Shallow depth.

intercropping where a pulse crop gives produced N to companion oilseed crop- works well but you Wont see any fertilizer companies sponsoring any Research on this

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
          No one has said to reduce fertilizer but they DID say to reduce Emission from fert by 30 per cent.

there are products now that stabilize nitrogen to prevent gassing of nitrous oxide. which by the way you can lose 30% or more by broadcasting at the Wrong time or putting in the ground at a Shallow depth.

intercropping where a pulse crop gives produced N to companion oilseed crop- works well but you Wont see any fertilizer companies sponsoring any Research on this
          I used ESN for 2 years. My thoughts were I saw no significant yield bump. I did see a significant cost increase and then I read that ESN leaves behind the little polymer capsules in the ground that never totally degrade. That didn’t sound environmentally friendly to me. I haven’t used it for 2 years. The only discernible benefit I could see was that it did help the fertilizer flow out of the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
            I used ESN for 2 years. My thoughts were I saw no significant yield bump. I did see a significant cost increase and then I read that ESN leaves behind the little polymer capsules in the ground that never totally degrade. That didn’t sound environmentally friendly to me. I haven’t used it for 2 years. The only discernible benefit I could see was that it did help the fertilizer flow out of the bin.
            We were users of ESN for 7 yrs. Until we started finding intact prills from earlier yrs. So we stopped using it. Not going to pay a premium for nutrients I cant guarantee the plants gets when it needs it.

We now broadcast but use nitrolyzer to stabilize. The drill covers it up within a day or 2.

Comment

How about they ban fertilizer use in urban areas. It's all just cosmetic anyways. No food or anything of value is produced. Probably emits a lot of no2 as it is all surface broadcast.

No lawns,parks,golf courses,etc.
              No exemptions.
              Big polluters applied that way.

Will never get a look as they would get serious push back from their base.
              Can't risk the votes.

Comment

Have you ever tried an intercrop. We have by accident. Clearfield canola in the lentils. They matured 3w apart. The running the flex on the ground with the reels low, just shattered the canola so big losses.

And then we had to stop and clean them right away because we didnt want that little bit of canola sweating off and heating a bin of lentils. Last thing you want to do is stop your harvest to clean crop.

Not worth the hassle imo.

Comment

I’ve followed companion crops like peola and the like for years because I’d like to incorporate peas into my crop mix. I suppose we could do a lot more research for sure and figure simply just the best seeding rates for conditions and suitable varieties. Definitely worth it. I’m still skeptical about the legume nitrogen being available for the companion oilseed. Definitely needs research there to prove or disprove that. More at play than the nitrogen fixation.

Comment

Or just do what many have been doing for decades, use pulse crops in the crop rotation .
                    Peas
                    Lentils
                    Faba beans
                    Majority of farms have been doing this for years already and reducing N fertility on those fields
                    Farmers have been hedging that risk for decades already.

Intercropping peas and canola has been done off and on for years . Problem is maturity differences are generally too wide . Peas get too ripe before canola ready . Unless you seed the peas after but that defeats the whole purpose by a second pass burning more diesel and becomes tricky for weed control unless you grow clearfield canola .
                    Also another process is needed to clean and separate . It’s been done but not as easy as it sounds . Plus in dry years one will choke out the other .

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      ESN here at least is a decent fit. 50% available early which gives the crop a decent start and the remaining 50% releases late which if the crop is cooked seems to help it carry over into next year, if it is in great shape adds bushels, and if its mediocre tops up the protein.

Soil tests have certainly proven to me that it sticks around far better than straight up urea on a drier year. The polymer coating is definitely findable in following years, but I like to think that helps with soil porosity, which then helps to increase moisture absorption in a region that is tragically short of organic matter after years of soil erosion and conventional tillage!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Or just do what many have been doing for decades, use pulse crops in the crop rotation .
                        Peas
                        Lentils
                        Faba beans
                        Majority of farms have been doing this for years already and reducing N fertility on those fields
                        Farmers have been hedging that risk for decades already.

Intercropping peas and canola has been done off and on for years . Problem is maturity differences are generally too wide . Peas get too ripe before canola ready . Unless you seed the peas after but that defeats the whole purpose by a second pass burning more diesel and becomes tricky for weed control unless you grow clearfield canola .
                        Also another process is needed to clean and separate . It’s been done but not as easy as it sounds . Plus in dry years one will choke out the other .
                        If it was feasible guys would be doing it. I did a couple hundred acres of clovers under seeded in a wheat oats barley mix for greenfeed. Pisses me off when know nothings think farmers need to be reigned in on fertilizer use or emissions but as it stands we don’t use any more n fertilizer than 20 years ago but half the fuel. Haven’t broadcast fertilizer unless you count an extra tonne or two left over put on hay land. I look at the 4r thing and we’ve done that forever My kilt is quite tight too and farm ground as rank as my ancestors did in uk so bmp’s are paramount whether we get a crop or not. I learned a lot from my grandfather who ranched and farmed some fragile soils with success. Family members across the fence wrecked their ground from not being good stewards. I’m on very resilient soil but still like to follow his philosophy like what a lot of us here do.

Comment

Furrow the problem is that pulses in rotation already will be treated just like min till was- no recognition for those efforts. Would have to go to chem fallow with cover crop to meet their new requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Furrow the problem is that pulses in rotation already will be treated just like min till was- no recognition for those efforts. Would have to go to chem fallow with cover crop to meet their new requirements.
                            I know that’s the complete fallacy of this whole plan . Makes no sense at all

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              I know that’s the complete fallacy of this whole plan . Makes no sense at all
                              We put all our nitrogen down with sprayer one pass before seeding and one pass after the chemicals are on on provide we have good potential and adjust rate accordingly always with a carbon product like molasses or humic. Seems to work for us.

Comment

Worked on an oil lease yesterday. 2 bulker loads of liquid nitrogen were used to clean the well out. Basically the n was vented to atmosphere in the end.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.