• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBC: Women under appreciated in agriculture.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of all people , even i , a cbc fan ( at of least the informative and thoughtful stuff)

it is getting more than a little out of hand. so much so i am beginning to agree
    with a lot of you

, by trying to create issues like this out of nothing.

and inclusive is fine , and dealing with issues is fine too .
    but the constant LGBT and now
    native /metis , all the time.

give it a rest.

the icing on the cake , was yesterday.
    the canada reads cbc show.
    first was cathy palmater .going on about the newest bitch.
    the 60s scoop. adopting native kids.

then chantel chraviasic, the singer ,another book reviewer, had to stay in L.A. because her kid was in hospital with a bad asthma attack.
    which she blamed totally on global warming

and no one called BS on anything.
    very disappointing.

the sad part is , crap like this will take the good parts that are left , down with them.

Comment

Just a question to the guys who replied along these lines to this thread...

Why do you think news outlets are being too liberal or creating issues out of nothing or having slow news days when they write articles such as this one?

Obviously some women feel this way at times. Myself, others, ladies interviewed in such articles, etc. Which suggests there is still an issue out there regarding sexual discrimination.

Have you ever paused to think that completely denying the fact that there are people effected by this is a form of sexual discrimination in itself? Insinuating we're maybe being too sensitive or possibly don't know our own experiences and rely on the news to influence us unduly.

Sexism affects men too. That's undeniable. And any time I think I might be getting close to being overly discriminatory to men I stop and think how would I feel if someone told me that?

How would you as men feel if you were told you were being too sensitive or emotional? Or if you were told you need a woman to get ahead in life, you can't do it on your own?

You're probably going to reply something along the lines of "Oh, I've been told those things before. It was a joke!" And yes, a lot of it starts as a joke. That doesn't mean it doesn't lose its humour after a while.

Let's try an example here.

I think men are all too sensitive and defensive over articles about discrimination against women. It's like you all take it as a personal insult and might have a bit of a guilty conscience that you feel must be vehemently covered in denial that there's an issue at all.

There, I've generalized you all together, insinuated the issue is really a fault of yours, not ours, and pretty much said suck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Just a question to the guys who replied along these lines to this thread...

Why do you think news outlets are being too liberal or creating issues out of nothing or having slow news days when they write articles such as this one?

Obviously some women feel this way at times. Myself, others, ladies interviewed in such articles, etc. Which suggests there is still an issue out there regarding sexual discrimination.

Have you ever paused to think that completely denying the fact that there are people effected by this is a form of sexual discrimination in itself? Insinuating we're maybe being too sensitive or possibly don't know our own experiences and rely on the news to influence us unduly.

Sexism affects men too. That's undeniable. And any time I think I might be getting close to being overly discriminatory to men I stop and think how would I feel if someone told me that?

How would you as men feel if you were told you were being too sensitive or emotional? Or if you were told you need a woman to get ahead in life, you can't do it on your own?

You're probably going to reply something along the lines of "Oh, I've been told those things before. It was a joke!" And yes, a lot of it starts as a joke. That doesn't mean it doesn't lose its humour after a while.

Let's try an example here.

I think men are all too sensitive and defensive over articles about discrimination against women. It's like you all take it as a personal insult and might have a bit of a guilty conscience that you feel must be vehemently covered in denial that there's an issue at all.

There, I've generalized you all together, insinuated the issue is really a fault of yours, not ours, and pretty much said suck it up.
        My issue is that nothing will be done about it, whether it is discussed or not. Just get people hot and bothered about it, do the Canuck method and call a public inquiry, blow a shitload of dollars, file a report 3 years later and the government pats itself on the back and says they did what they could. Same people who actually think a MMIW inquiry is going to accomplish anything besides show that alcoholism, depression and suicide is rampant in the Indian population and that Indian racism is rampant in the white population. But we'll spend 10 million+ to get a piece of paper that says just that. It's not that the government is going to write a 1 trillion dollar cheque to bring Indian standard of living up to white man standards.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
          My issue is that nothing will be done about it, whether it is discussed or not. Just get people hot and bothered about it, do the Canuck method and call a public inquiry, blow a shitload of dollars, file a report 3 years later and the government pats itself on the back and says they did what they could. Same people who actually think a MMIW inquiry is going to accomplish anything besides show that alcoholism, depression and suicide is rampant in the Indian population and that Indian racism is rampant in the white population. But we'll spend 10 million+ to get a piece of paper that says just that. It's not that the government is going to write a 1 trillion dollar cheque to bring Indian standard of living up to white man standards.
          I can understand that.

Personally I consider it an individual issue, not something the government can regulate. There's enough equal opportunity employment stuff out, don't need more and more programs.

But I do like articles like this to pop up now and then to get people to think. News, even more than providing information, should make people think. Just like this discussion is making us think.

Comment

Blaithlin, professional women in agriculture don't want to be recognized and appreciated for being women. They want to be appreciated for their knowledge and contribution, no different then a male. Sex is irrelevant, or at least should be. That is what the article should be about. Forced appreciation is never the way to go.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.