• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you go?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat
    Each generation as kids take over farms here, more cows are sold off. Because it isn’t physically easy like grain farming. Also, most that transition in these days, don’t have a huge need to stabilize income, or think outside the box, because they are riding on prior generations shirttails of success.

Mostly though, people are not into works no, they are into holidays, and mixed farming cramps their style too much, even if it could be successful.
    Sheepwheat usually employs satire to convey his typically-substantive message.

Which is why this post is so confusing.

Turned blue in the face waiting for the punchline...

Comment

Jazz in that area nothing grew in the 80s drought

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post

😀 Fair bit of poor punctuation and un noticed spell checks there. My apologies. I think I will delete and try again.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	kXvXmrB4TgWps1wiu9OI2A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	767038

I would stay farming where I farm the cheapest land in Saskatchewan for what you can grow. Yes, we had two BTOs from Toronto and Calgary that couldn't make it and failed and a few really big Money guys that bought and sold. But still, we still are the cheapest place in Saskatchewan to purchase land.

I find it funny all the places were land has gone insane and our area with no real sellers has sat at a low level.

Oh well, it's good if you find some to buy and bad if your selling. But great grow great crops on low land value investment.

Name:	LX7iFxfsTfmvGGHKQkNVhA.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	767039

Home!

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post

Cow calf is a labour of love, a labour intensive lifestyle. Also if you have good grain land you could make way more renting it out than cow calf. Still lots of cow calf ranching in Manitoba around lake Manitoba on very marginal land.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
              [ATTACH]3853[/ATTACH]

I would stay farming where I farm the cheapest land in Saskatchewan for what you can grow. Yes, we had two BTOs from Toronto and Calgary that couldn't make it and failed and a few really big Money guys that bought and sold. But still, we still are the cheapest place in Saskatchewan to purchase land.

I find it funny all the places were land has gone insane and our area with no real sellers has sat at a low level.

Oh well, it's good if you find some to buy and bad if your selling. But great grow great crops on low land value investment.

[ATTACH]3854[/ATTACH]

Home!
              how about up around PA ??

Comment

Yes never worry about rain but frost could be an issue. longer days.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  See, now I knew Austranada was going to provide something useful eventually. He just tipped us off about the free land in Vologda Russia. My wife is still a Russian citizen, and I'm quite willing to get my naturalized citizenship, now all we need to do is convince this European friend of Pourfarmer's to buy our existing farm, it is dirt cheap compared to anything in Europe, and nearly on the frontier of the west, so it should be an easy sell.

The only catch is that most of Vologda province is farther north than any farm land in the Peace region of Alberta, some as far north as NWT, and looks like mostly bush. But at least it is close to St. Petersburg, so it should be an easy sell to convince my wife, it is an amazing city. Never visited the Vologda region, have been West of it and just slightly south of it, perhaps will go look next time we are over there and see what we are missing out on.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Vologda Oblast Agricutlure:
                  The agriculture in the oblast is essentially cattle breeding with milk and meat production, production of eggs, growing of crops, flax, potatoes, and vegetables. In 2008, 73% of all agricultural products were produced by large-scale farms

Thanks Austranada.
                  Worth a look I'd say, you only live once. We left Canada behind over a decade ago. Conscious decision to get rid of political correctness, corrupt food industry, stag(nation), ........................
                  Miss playing hockey though but on the other I can play in Perth in one of three year round ice skating rinks where a lot of expats play

Name:	branson.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	767040

Comment

If inputs were free i could not take a picture like that on my land, something agronomists dont get.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                      If inputs were free i could not take a picture like that on my land, something agronomists dont get.
                      What doesn't your agronomist get?

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                        Where exactly are you Makar? Somewhere in Peace, right? My impression of most areas of the Peace that I have seen are flat perfect black soil, but I probably haven't been far enough off the beaten path. What are the limitation as you get further towards the fringes, is it climate, soil, muskeg?

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                          What doesn't your agronomist get?
                          I dont farm sf3 dirt and farm closer to santa than him.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            Where exactly are you Makar? Somewhere in Peace, right? My impression of most areas of the Peace that I have seen are flat perfect black soil, but I probably haven't been far enough off the beaten path. What are the limitation as you get further towards the fringes, is it climate, soil, muskeg?
                            All of the above, things change quarter to quarter and within that, nothing flat perfect or black here, white as snow fire burnt in the last century full of potholes, one dumb fat blonde told my why do i bitch, i have 6 to 8 percent om , , well i dont i can show a soil sample with 1 percent om and i dont think they use fractions, plus the climate wreck, its is so variable here i have two quarters half mile apart with a 10 bushel difference.

Comment

Romania.. sorry, I would go to Romania.

Comment

Everyone dreams of farming new broke land, well on the first farm i bought dad went out on new breaking with a deep tillage cultivator in the spring with shovels and it skidded all the way around first pass, went home and put spikes on, how many understand what i deal with, not the many people who failed near me, never got rich but i am still here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.