• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sheepwheat holy hell

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im lost "Sheepwheat we prefer to take the wool and hair off the animal before we eat it. If your customers are happy eating the hide good for you"

please explain

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
      Really? I've never seen anyone fatten that young lambs in Canada - nearly everyone I know with sheep lambs May/June and the lambs are fattened on barley and hay late the next winter - even the "grass-fed" direct marketers!
      In contrast in the UK the vast majority are finished off grass and their mothers milk starting at 3 months then progressively on grass alone, then maybe forage **** or some grain and later on root crops over winter but most are fat by 3-6 months off grass. New Zealand lamb is also grass produced at a young age and is likely the source of imports here.

Lamb feed lotting is bussiness here grass.

Currently buyers are sourcing light lambs some guys weaning early due to lack of feed in some parts feedlotters buying straight of mum on farm and head to feedlot. Probably 90 to 120 days to get to 22/24 kg carcase

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
        im lost "Sheepwheat we prefer to take the wool and hair off the animal before we eat it. If your customers are happy eating the hide good for you"

please explain
        I believe he was teasing.. lol

Comment

Really? I've never seen anyone fatten that young lambs in Canada - nearly everyone I know with sheep lambs May/June and the lambs are fattened on barley and hay late the next winter - even the "grass-fed" direct marketers!
          In contrast in the UK the vast majority are finished off grass and their mothers milk starting at 3 months then progressively on grass alone, then maybe forage **** or some grain and later on root crops over winter but most are fat by 3-6 months off grass. New Zealand lamb is also grass produced at a young age and is likely the source of imports here.
          Yeah many ways to finish lambs. In our situation, we want near year round supply out of once a year lambing. Dumb luck has our flock producing varying growth rate lambs which helps a lot. Some lambs grow fast and are ready in 5 months to be finished. Some grow slow enough that they are yearlings and just getting there.

Not the most efficient maybe, but it works here very well. Some finish on grass, some on hay and oats. We don’t see much difference if any in flavour texture etc.

Comment

All kinds of production models, same has happened to sheep as cows the last 15 yrs lots have moved to birthing in June for warmer weather but the traditional model here has been winter lambing. We lamb starting mid February, first lambs gone already the rest will be gone before the August 10/11 weekend as it's a big Muslim holiday and prices drop afterwards.
            Used to try for Easter lambs by lambing at Christmas time but have gotten later.
            Last edited by GDR; Jul 14, 2019, 20:24.

Comment

I sell lambs direct to this guy he feesd em and fattens em.

http://www.thornby.com.au http://www.thornby.com.au

Comment

i really like beef and lamb
                sure hard to get lamb in these parts
                i let other people eat the test tube shit

Comment

Here you go sheepwheat, had baked lamb chops tonight. Couldnt even taste the wool! Lol.

Comment

Weve had changes to lamb classification here in aust.

“The current definition ‘a female, castrate or entire male that has 0 permanent incisor teeth’ means producers have no warning light about when a lamb stops being a lamb – the moment a permanent incisor erupts, that lamb is downgraded to hogget,”

The new definition is ‘young sheep under 12 months of age or which do not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear’.

This week there were lambs that made $355 per head.

The lambs from well-known Forbes district producers Chris and Sharon Petropoulos and son Isaac had an estimated carcase weight of 45kg and skin value of $5, bring them out at about $7.80 a kg cwt. They were part of a consignment of 341 Petropoulos lambs that averaged about $300 in the sale.

Comment

Really 45kg deadweight? were they elephant sheep? About the biggest we ever sold were 27kg deadweight and they were big lambs.

The best 45KG liveweight lambs in Scotland just now would bring about $170 your money.

Comment

Really 45kg deadweight? were they elephant sheep? About the biggest we ever sold were 27kg deadweight and they were big lambs.

The best 45KG liveweight lambs in Scotland just now would bring about $170 your money.
                        https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6275466/forbes-lambs-surge-to-a-record-355-a-head/?cs=61 https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6275466/forbes-lambs-surge-to-a-record-355-a-head/?cs=61

Id say at a guess there merino crossed with borderliecster mothers then mated back to white suffolks so 1/4 merino 3/4 british breed another guess 13/14 months old.

Depends how you do your maths are you better to sell them at $230/50 and run more ewes hence more lambs or lower stocking rate to make space for growing out the lambs
                        Last edited by malleefarmer; Jul 20, 2019, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                          https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6275466/forbes-lambs-surge-to-a-record-355-a-head/?cs=61 https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6275466/forbes-lambs-surge-to-a-record-355-a-head/?cs=61

Id say at a guess there merino crossed with borderliecster mothers then mated back to white suffolks so 1/4 merino 3/4 british breed another guess 13/14 months old.

Depends how you do your maths are you better to sell them at $230/50 and run more ewes hence more lambs or lower stocking rate to make space for growing out the lambs
                          Ok so they were really hoggets not lambs - what's with the guess the weight thing? Do you not at least weigh them liveweight at the auction? and WTF are "white suffolks"?

Comment

Nope not weighed at auction but most buyer producers are accurate within 2 kg

Hoggett v lamb new grading system as mentioned above if a lambs just cuts its teeth its still a lamb but i was gfuessing. Only gives you a extra month

Black face suffolk and white suffolk maybe you havent heard of them a i think "australia variation of black suffolk" to have better wool

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...