• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me what happens when....???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Sept 15 will be ok here
    Aug 15 will see farmers jumping off bridges here
    Aug 15 would be brutal. Highly unlikely I would think? I looked them up thinking if it was in the last week of august we'd have trouble. I'd have peas to maturity, and early durum would likely get branned...

Sept 13 most things I have would make it, but many guys are hoping that the second growth will make the crop. If it gets cooked mid-september, that'll cut production in half or more on those acres.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      TSF, first of all why did you drop the "3"?
      Maybe he is thinking there wont be a SF4 so no need to keep track anymore.

Comment

If I remember Bucket yo said you don't grow Canola but you have some cattle.

In 2002 here the crop was real thin and short and regrew from tillers off the main plant, especially oats.

When harvested the stuff out of the back of the combine made good feed and the cows liked it.

It was pea green. The harvested oats were so light they were only worth about 2 cents a lb, less than hay price. Many quit thrashing them and wanted them baled but too late in the season to dry.

If you need feed you might want to check out where you might rent a bale wrapper in case your area turns out that way.

Make the best of the worst.

Comment

Isn't that what crop insurance is for?

I don't use it other than for the corn we grow but I looked at one of our quarters to theoretically grow canola on this year. Probable yield is 38.9bu for this quarter, $value for coverage is $10.89/bu if you take 80% coverage the premium was $5.05/acre giving you $338.88/acre coverage if you have a total loss. Having this kind of protection surely mitigates a lot of the risk, no?

Comment

It's great for a single quarter but because the whole farm each commodity. ..it sucks. ...

Comment

Grassman. That premium sounds very low to me. Maybe Manitoba is different. I have hail insurance costing me $10.80/ac for a crop surcharged 2.75 the basic rate.(yellow mustard)

Hail insurance on Canola here is $5.60.

These are hail insurance rates....not crop insurance rates.

Last year when I looked into getting into crop insurance with out any experience discount the premium was $24.11 for 80% on a Ghetto J soil with an area yeild of 37.7 bu/ac. Coverage was $318.06/ac.

Edit in....that hail insurance information is worthless without telling you what the indemnity is...."$200/ac"
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 13, 2019, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                It's great for a single quarter but because the whole farm each commodity. ..it sucks. ...
                You'll have to explain that to me. Isn't it the case if you had 10 quarters of canola and 10 of wheat you'd get the same coverage on the canola and whatever the rate is for wheat on the wheat acres. If you had total loss on the 10 quarters of canola you'd get the full amount per acre on all 10? If 2 quarters were total loss and the other 8 were a normal crop you wouldn't get anything - but you've got 80% of a normal crop and you're only out the cost of the premium. I don't see why that sucks unless I'm not understanding how it works.

Comment

Its an odds game grassy. Actuaries have it all figured out. Remember, insurance is meant to limit loss not be profitable.

As far as I know you can't over insure with plain crop insurance like you can with hail insurance. Unless you want to really gamble and do crop insurance and GARS and any other company that will insure you.
                  But you won't be farming long if you do.

The more acres you have and spread out they are the less chance you have of being completely wiped out.

I wonder if some of the big time BTOs have separate contracts for the different areas they farm in. Say they are in three areas 200 kms apart from each other...is that one contract or three seperate contracts. I bet concessions are made!

Comment

I buy insurance for every vehicle ....if one gets wrecked they don't say you have three others to use....

Every quarter should be treated as a stand alone entity no matter the crop....otherwise the crop insurance bill should be substantially lower....but currently I pay full rate on every quarter ...then it should insured as such....

Comment

The first moisture was April 27 with a small snow event...

Seeded into drying ground all of may....

And the rain came On June 19 ...50 some days after the snow event with a few 30 plus days during that period...

The last rain was on June 27 around here...and it doesn't look like there is any rain in the 10 day forecast...

So that would be 25 days without more moisture ...the crops that are headed out are blueing....

The later crops that look better have used up the June rains....

How does this end????
                      Not well for ya, but if you follow twitter and see all the people spraying fungicide on beautiful crops, it'll be a normal year for most.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Isn't that what crop insurance is for?

I don't use it other than for the corn we grow but I looked at one of our quarters to theoretically grow canola on this year. Probable yield is 38.9bu for this quarter, $value for coverage is $10.89/bu if you take 80% coverage the premium was $5.05/acre giving you $338.88/acre coverage if you have a total loss. Having this kind of protection surely mitigates a lot of the risk, no?
                        We have $445 coverage , about $12 premium here in sask

Comment

I buy insurance for every vehicle ....if one gets wrecked they don't say you have three others to use....

Every quarter should be treated as a stand alone entity no matter the crop....otherwise the crop insurance bill should be substantially lower....but currently I pay full rate on every quarter ...then it should insured as such....
                          When sask party was in opposition they cried how terrible the ndp were for not changing crapinsurance to be individual quarters. Another lie I guess. Can’t have something actually work for farm families there wouldn’t be a need for input cap or Chinese land investors and middlemen getting kickbacks to set it all up.

Comment

Individual quarter coverage would be great, but how do you do it feasibly? How do you prevent abuse? How do you bin every quarter separately?

How could we make it feasible? I just don’t see a way to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              Individual quarter coverage would be great, but how do you do it feasibly? How do you prevent abuse? How do you bin every quarter separately?

How could we make it feasible? I just don’t see a way to do it...
                              You think there isn’t abuse now? The ones that want to do it are doing it. Look at who’s getting agristability payments and then going broke right away you think that’s not planned?

Easily could be paid for by scrapping agrishitabilitly. Making coverages more reflective of today’s yield potential not 10’years ago. We re paying for new canola seed and covering it with the old canola seed yields. In a year like this with al kinds of different maturity and condition of fields it would be beyond valuable.
                              You liked grip didn’t you? Every bin was measured.
                              Technology is very near to assessing yields by satellite very accurately. Should be persued.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                We have $445 coverage , about $12 premium here in sask
                                See caseih, what have I been telling everyone! .....Ghetto!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.