• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide In The Farm Community

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suicide In The Farm Community

Dear Agrivillers,

Committing suicide remains an unspoken conversation in most discussions. Even death has become an obsolete word. "Stella passed". "Bert is not with us anymore".

We are uncomfortable with death, and when we compound that discomfort with dreading our own death, it's not surprising we avoid speaking about suicide.

But it's real.

From a practical point of view, a family needs immediate help just to get by when suicide happens.

Cotton committed suicide in their farm home on November 1. The family are not allowed into the house for awhile. Nor will they be able to bear living in the house again.

I never met Cott in person, we always planned to but never got around to it, but even so, just as with you, he influenced me, he crept into my thinking, he reached out to me. To us.

I didn't, we didn't, know how to hear what he wanted us to hear, needed us to hear, did we? I listened but I didn't hear his most important message.

We cannot change what is done.

So today, I decided I've learned enough about life to know his wife Michelle will need some help, without asking, just to get the telephone bill paid. To pay for haircuts. Harvest has been hell.

You know I'm a practical woman. If each of us chipped in $20.00, crowdfunding, instead of sending flowers, your sum of remembrance will pay for milk and eggs and bread.

Farmers have stressful clouds hovering above them.

Larry Weber, John Kotylak and I believe that we can choose to do something concrete.

To talk about suicide. To listen. To reach out. To be practical. To be kind.

We hope you will too.

Pars and Larry and John
    Last edited by parsley; Nov 3, 2016, 13:33.

Oh my god. That is terrible

Comment

[URL="https://fundrazr.com/f1BBb7[/URL]

With the never ending harvest of 2016, farmers in western Canada have had heart ache, but not as much as this family will be experiencing at this moment.

Many people were moved by Chad's tenacity, passion and willingness to share his thoughts and time on a public forum and social media. This is our opportunity to give back.

The fundraising page will stay open for 30 days.
      Last edited by LWeber; Nov 3, 2016, 12:59.

Comment

Thank you pars and Larry for your efforts and comments. This is such a trajedy for those left behind. No words can can ease the anguish for those left behind and my heart aches for cottons family. I can only hope others take to heart the advice that others have so often posted. ITS JUST A FARM. No situation is so bad that ending your life will make it better. Even this shi!!y f^cked up fall will eventually be behind us. No one can ever put themselves in another's shoes but please don't e afraid to ask for help. Be safe out there and remember those who love you and depend on you. Tears in my eyes and loss of words.

Comment

[URL="https://fundrazr.com/f1BBb7"]https://fundrazr.com/f1BBb7[/URL]

Comment

Thanks so much Larry, for setting up the fundraising page. Pars

Comment

Chad Crane
              (1974 - 2016)

Chad was predeceased by his grandparents, George and Alicia Crane and aunt, Darlene Crane.

Chad is survived by his wife, Michelle Crane of Weyburn, SK and their children, Cooper, Max and Livia.

His mother, Kelly Crane of Weyburn, SK; brother, Matthew (Kristen) Crane and their children, Hugo and Mara; father and mother in law, Ron and Carol Irvine of Yellow Grass, SK; sister in law, Tanya (John) Hulbert of Weyburn, SK and their children, Emma, Andrew, Hanna and Jeana; brother in law, Jaymon Irvine of Regina, SK as well as aunts, uncles, other relatives and friends, also survive him.

The funeral is private.

Donations in memory of Chad may be made to the "Crane Children Trust Fund" c/o Weyburn Credit Union.

Or

"Just A Bunch of Farmers Helping a Farmer" fundraiser at :

e[URL="https://fundrazr.com/f1BBb7[/URL]

Comment

We all care and feel terrible that we never recognized the signs of despair. We will gladly support this cause. That poor family, loving wife and 3 little girls, I believe - there are no words that can quantify our feelings of grief at this time. I hope no one within our family and Agriville family is ashamed to reach out for help. We are here for each other, we can help each other through because God put us here. Parsley and Larry, Thank you for caring so much.

Comment

Done.

Comment

Done, thanks to Larry and Pars for putting this together.

Comment

Most Agrivillers are not paupers. I think at least one hundred dollars would be more appropriate. And if you are flush - give more. The cause couldn't be more important.

Comment

I agree rock pile but didn't want to say it! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          I agree rock pile but didn't want to say it! Thanks
                          My first thought also unless you are having trouble feeding your own. but not a time to pinch pennies

Comment

re chad parsely or sask my enlighten me its my understanding he farmed and lived on original crane farm meaning his grandfather i presume started it or am i wrong? Maybe even great grandfather?

Comment

weird was the anniversary of my next door neighbours passing of his 17 yr old son same day 3 years ago same cause.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.