• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmland Values Continue To Increase in Western Canada - Market Prospects Video

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmland Values Continue To Increase in Western Canada - Market Prospects Video

Interesting times....I may have a chance at a half section right against our block if the buyer who bought 5 of our neighbors quarters doesn't exercise his option on it by June/July. I am having a hard time justifying these prices, almost $2000/ac with a loss of about 15 acres per quarter to (larger)sloughs that are seldom if ever seedable with the rest of the field. Some slough consolidation done and absolutely no bush. Dark brown/moist dark brown soil zone. Some rocks. 9 quarters from this neighbor have sold in the last 6 months at these levels, all to an investor type farm and investors who only rent it out. Amazing when the most I've ever paid before was $65K per quarter for a section in 2004. All hell broke loose afew years after that.

If I bite does that make me part of the problem? It seems the bar is being set by investor types and if farmers want to play they have to pay....
    Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 24, 2017, 19:15.

Comment

Quite a variation of increases around Saskatchewan.

Comment

Farmaholic

If an investor bought shares and they tripled do you think he would hold on to them?

As a farmer I lack the business acumen to sell my land at 4 to 5 times what I paid for it.....mostly because my kids want to farm.....and my dad never sold out ....it's tough to make sense of what land sells for these days....

Comment

O88, I'm in the slum of the Ghetto in the 0% increase area #6.....could have fooled me.

Bucket, to me it's ****in nuts. Do-able but ****in nuts. I could easily talk myself out of it if the option presents itself. As for not selling what we have, the Apprentice wants to inheret an opportunity to farm which is just misery and heartache in disguise....lol

Comment

flat here very flat but not falling.

Comment

fcc always 6 months behind whats actually happening.

Comment

Personal observation.....for as much bitching and moaning, whining and complaining as I do, you would have to wonder why I'd even entertain the thought!?!?!?!?!

I thought I'd say it before someone else does. :-).....

Comment

The banking cabal sets 'em up and knocks em down, then take posession. #MoneyForNothinandLandForFree

Comment

Farmaholic

Better question is do you want your kid to go thru what you have?

For 20 years they say the world needs food and yet there is 20 million starving and no one can afford our product even though in 1974 dollars its quite a bit cheaper.....

Comment

Not for a minute bucket! My Dad's words still ring clear in my ears.....when he got frustrated with how he was being treated he said "they treat you like a fool". I guess I wasn't listening either!

It's definitely a tough way to make a living but I don't know if I would have done any better financially anywhere else either....maybe alot easier and less stress in some other vocations but I made it this far I think I'll survive. I did sink "most" of the money I made back into land and machinery. My Dad did a better job of saving cash for himself(on a "relative to the times" basis than I did....but I don't think I'm done either.

Comment

Anyone particular in mind Biglentil?

Comment

Perhaps this thinking is the problem, but how many opportunities do you get a shot at a half section, let alone a half that borders your current land base? My twisted line of thinking is someone else will be right there to buy it if you do not, but not at any cost as it must be feasible and fit in to the plan.

Comment

One way or the other, you will have 2 seconds to make up your mind and the rest of your life to regret the decision.

Comment

One thing. When I retire and become a landlord, then maybe I'll waste time listening to broadcasts like this. Someone else from a distance counting my money,..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.