• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway safety... and Class 1 Vehicles

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway safety... and Class 1 Vehicles

The futility of Government... and the lack of rational common sense... is the issue here!

Obeying traffic signs... properly designed intersections... 4 lane highways... with major cross traffic... have speed reductions and hung orange/Red overhead lights in the middle of the intersections on 4 lane divided highways in most places in SK... with speed reductions NOW. Why did't this standard apply HERE...[RE: Bus Hockey accident in SK] at this death trap intersection?. NO COMMON SENSE caused this accident. Regulations... do not stop people from breaking laws... or using brain/being alert/ applying Common Sense...
    If other people have been killed at this intersection BEFORE... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 4 way complete stop intersection.

SK Engineers... who approved this intersection as ... SAFE... should go to jail as well!!!

To make the drivers the scape goats... STINKS.

A good big legal action.. for $100,000,000.00 against the engineers who oversee these area intersections... would sure as a PUBLIC shooting... fix these death trap intersections...for good... so NO MORE people DIE!!!

NOW in Alberta NDP LaLa land... 125 hrs of studying... STOP signs?.... @ $ 150.00/hr...!!!!
    HOW STUPID IS THIS...???!!!!

A good 'Class 1 vehicle' simulator testing unit... like used for aircraft testing/training... [Westcan has/uses them] would have been a much better/smarter use of funds... to make better drivers and safety a priority on our roads... to actually make them safer.
    AS IT IS... now... nothing is much safer... more people will die... the carnage and death on our roads will not decrease significantly.

What a tribute to all who so far... died in vain... as far as a liberal application of common sense is concerned!

THIS situation...SHOULD BOTHER... E V E R Y O N E. My Spirit is grieved.
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 10, 2019, 08:24.

Tom there should be no headons on four lane highways but in my area there has been two in the last few years causing four deaths. You can’t fix stupid.

Comment

What ever happened to personal responsibility....and nope, you can't regulate common sense, free will, or poor judgement and decisions.

Comment

The current two week course in Sask equates to nearly 80 hours of instruction time already. That makes up a good part of the proposed 125 hours.

In the last thread on this topic i suggested an assessment of the student driver and tailoring the length of instruction accordingly.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 10, 2019, 08:47.

Comment

Profiling?

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
            Profiling?
            Yikes. That is NOT a politically correct word...lol.

Let's use "assessing".
            Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 10, 2019, 08:55.

Comment

These new rules will suck there is a shortage of drivers already, another thing they could have done is a restriction how far a novice driver can be away from homebase and can only drive 8 hours a day. 125 hours of driving lessons is nuts.

Comment

125 hours of driving the same route that you will be tested on? When I took my training years ago okey decades we went the same route for a week that the test was based on. When I took the test I had every turn every action memorized. But when I went driving through another town on my own after I was scared shitless yet I knew all the rules knew how to drive the truck easily from my farm experience. Didn’t want to harm anyone or myself. That’s where I should have been tested in hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  125 hours of driving the same route that you will be tested on? When I took my training years ago okey decades we went the same route for a week that the test was based on. When I took the test I had every turn every action memorized. But when I went driving through another town on my own after I was scared shitless yet I knew all the rules knew how to drive the truck easily from my farm experience. Didn’t want to harm anyone or myself. That’s where I should have been tested in hindsight.
                  Please remember;
                  a) SK farmers asked for and got... an exemption from the new training requirements;
                  b) Ab farmers asked for and were DENIED... an exemption from the new driver Class 1 requirements;
                  c) the problem intersection was/is in SK and NOT AB;
                  d) there is an election coming up in AB, the NDP apparently do not trust AB farmers... both how they drive... and how they vote... they must be punished... as there is apparently no hope that 'fair' application of the solution to this problem [Trucks hitting Busses]... other than to punish Alberta Farmers.

As I stated... this is the best example currently available... of why AB NDP are not worthy to continue to rule Alberta.
                  Cheers

Comment

If that's the criteria for discussion Tom, we'll be here all day.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      If that's the criteria for discussion Tom, we'll be here all day.
                      Blackpowder,

There have been hundreds of AB Farmers... who do not have Class 1 Licenses... for decades... that have driven Class 1 vehicles safely [and farm equipment far more dangerous] without blowing stop signes... or hitting busses full of people.

This is truly a nasty move by the NDP.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                        Blackpowder,

There have been hundreds of AB Farmers... who do not have Class 1 Licenses... for decades... that have driven Class 1 vehicles safely [and farm equipment far more dangerous] without blowing stop signes... or hitting busses full of people.

This is truly a nasty move by the NDP.
                        Can you currently drive a class one vehicle without a class one license in Alberta if your a farmer?

Comment

Is the SK ‘exemption’ from the training not a ‘F’ endorsement with restrictions that are still being worked out?
                          My view is there should be no farmer special rules.
                          Some guys are driving rolling junk heaps just to save money hauling their own grain. I’m sorry but being cheap doesn’t give you the right to endanger others on the road. Just spend some time in line at ADM in Lloyd to get a sample set of what some farmers both Sk and Ab limp canola into town with.
                          And why should hauling on a few miles from home base make any difference as to how much damage a loaded semi can do if not operated properly. There are lots of good farmer drivers that do very well, but there are a few-one of our neighbors-who are an absolute menace. Training won’t be a cure all for sure, but it’s a step in the right direction.
                          Equipment safeties is another that should be taken.
                          This whole topic is one where farms hold no logical rationale for defending an exemption to all the industry rules. And one where we should not be asking for special treatment-it will come back to haunt us some day.

Comment

I was going to "like" Quad's post a bunch of times, but somehow Admin won't let me abuse the like button in a single post more than once. I even tried logging out and back in...nope, no luck!

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                              Can you currently drive a class one vehicle without a class one license in Alberta if your a farmer?
                              No

Just like it is illegal to plant Brown Bag PBR varieties of wheat./Bly/oats/flax/canola/etc.. it is done all the time... a part of our “culture and heritage”.. ‘no harm no foul’ you folks say!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.