• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge yield loss, over the last 4 wks.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge yield loss, over the last 4 wks.

For an area that had standing water to seed around this spring, the tables have turned, and turned hard.
    Over that period of summer heat(last 4 weeks), we've had a total of 14mm out of 7 different passing clouds. Averaging 2mm per shower, really only wets the leaves, and could be more closely compared to a heavy dew, than rain. I'd say we've had 10-20bus/ac shaved off our potential from where we stood at the end of spraying. I thought the sub soil would help more with the lack of rain, but I think now, the crop was too shallow rooted to withstand the 30-35' heat in July.
    Dug in the soil with a spade between the rows and bone dry in the top 6 inches. Can't pinch any soil together, at that depth, that will stick together. Top half of canola pods not filled yet, top third of durum not filled yet.
    I'd say this week is pivotal, if we get an inch of rain, we might come out with an avg crop, if we miss it again, we'll continue to slide. Really disappointing to loss acres to flooding and then loss bushels to drought later in the same year.(reminds me of 2011)
    Can't image where we'd be at if we had started the year dryer, but then again, maybe we would have grown better deeper roots in the spring.
    Need a good rain to fill what we have, otherwise she'll be a light, thin, quick harvest.

Once heat gets over 30 is takes yield from crop everywhere. Kinda frustrating.

Comment

Wonder if I can get a free irrigation system also?

Comment

Farming the Palliser Triangle will probably never be any different. We do everything in our power to fill all the bins and haul in the excess but Mother Nature holds the deck and deals the cards. After praying all year for one good rain and watching every system split off and head into the wide beyond, we hope our roots are getting enough moisture just to fill the lentils and durum. Canola is really hurting. It is amazing that crops can withstand the dog-days of summer. But whatever will be-will be.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
          I will see your free irrigation system and up the ante to 40 bucks an acre for 5 years and the capital gain on the land for the government funded capital infrastructure....

Beat that hand dealt....

Someone has some good pictures and videos of politicians doing some stupid shit....

Comment

Not too smart, Sask Party. 🤯

Comment

Bill Boyd made a lot of his buddies rich as well at tax payers expense

Slime balls

Comment

Happening here as well. 17 inches of poorly timed rain and a below average crop. Some volunteer field of canola looking better than seeded fields. Rot root taking down peas on land with no history of peas. Would have rather had 7" of well timed rain instead.

Comment

Haven’t seen thirty yet. Thirty is rare anymore here. Was 29 one day for a bit with excessive humidity, followed by a wicked storm. Mostly low to mid twenties. Haying has been a joke. Raining again right now. I think I lost about forty percent of my hay yield to rain, and then the quality issue. I am always amazed how different it can be place to place.

Crops are phenomenal here, barley is just crazy especially. Canola is pretty amazing too.

Thursday to yesterday was the longest stretch with no rain since late June. If only there was a way to share. I’d kill for some hot dry weather already.

Comment

It's been 27 days since measurable moisture last fell.

In that span of time cereal yields shaved 40+% of their potential.

Peas down at least a third.

Oilseeds likely 40-50%.

It stings, but it's nothing new for here.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      No kidding!

Comment

Last significant rain occurred on June 29th, giving us a total of 5” since May 1st.. Crop still looks good but would be nice to see another inch sooner than later to help fill. If it doesn’t rain in the next week it might as well stay hot and let us get harvesting.

Comment

You wouldn’t know it by the falling grain prices!
                          No 1 wheat 13.5 $5.85 bu ... absolute disgrace.
                          Are we back in 1975???
                          Thankfully I cut my wheat acres back to basically zero. Can anyone say farming is fun anymore??

Comment

"Living The Dream!"™️

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                              Thankfully I cut my wheat acres back to basically zero. Can anyone say farming is fun anymore??
                              Stock market looks 6 months ahead, commodities market looks 30 yrs back.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.