• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your farm is worth less than you think.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your farm is worth less than you think.

Hammer price on home quarter miles NW of Bruderheim AB $725000. This includes an acreage within commuting distance of a major industrial area with older home, garage and shop. Land has $26000 of SLR. What that is worth these days with some companies paying and others not who, knows. 147 acres cultivated which would be true when land not flooded as badly as this year but generally good land in that area. Here in AB, there are things attached to land frequently that are hard to value but I would think that this would be down from 5 years ago when bare quarters in that area would fetch that sort of price. I watch any real estate auction that I can and find prices usually less than the rumored price. Crown land sale in northern SK closing shortly on McDougall today.

I'm not sure how accurate gauge auction prices are for land values. Hey can you go to either extreme as opposed to traditional sales, Which can take as much or as little time as necessary to find the actual value.

Eliminated from Land Auctions by the Lack of a subject to financing option? If you don't have the money sitting in the bank do you really want to spend the application fee ahead of time for every auction or tender that comes up, especially when some state the highest bid may not be accepted?

And on the other side, when they lead to bidding wars, and prices go to the other extreme.
    A few sold by auction here lately, at prices above what we have bought through realtors, or land still sitting unsold is listed at.

Comment

Can’t even find a good quarter to buy here.
      Just a few poor quarters on mls. Central AB.
      750000$ + per quarter and sold in a week if decent land

Comment

Wish there were more land auctions locally so you could see the amount of interest and prices. Got one quarter a couple miles away gonna go in December but not very good land so dont expect much.

How does the commission compare to using a realtor? Would be kinda stressful but sure would be the way to get it over with.

Comment

Clhbid had a couple of parcels in the Vegreville area not make their opening bid this summer as well. Both were poorer pieces as well but both were seeded this year so had been farmed. Guess the existing renter gets them for another year. The land rent paid on such parcels is zero which is why they were for sale in the first place. Actual paid rents are less than rumored as well. NW AB is becoming questionable as a viable farming region with the weather gone crazy so that is starting to show up in prices, although crops east of Veg were relatively good this season. Not records by any means but not bad. With credit availability overwhelming these days it is likely that financing is not a problem for any halfway viable buyer. This info does not get info an FCC farmland values report of course so they will be the last to know of a farmland values decline.

Comment

That price is double and then some, of anything that sells in our neck of the woods! However there is usually more rain in that part of the world than in the dry SW corner of SK where we live. I would suspect the land is better also. I will tell you one thing: If somebody offered that price around here there would be a LOOOTTT of land up for sale.

Just my opinion, and good for the people getting that price. It is nice to get paid well after a lifetime of hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
              Can’t even find a good quarter to buy here.
              Just a few poor quarters on mls. Central AB.
              750000$ + per quarter and sold in a week if decent land
              Yes I agree basically $5000 an acre here. Land just down the road sold for that this summer. Bare land, no slr, roughly 135 cultivated acres and had a 4 acre acreage out of it.

Comment

In my area in SE Sask prices have flattened a bit but prices are about three times what they were 25 years ago. Compared to some places we are pretty cheap with $1000 - $1500 per acre pretty common. In some cases existing surface leases are kept by the seller but what is common is the leases flip to the buyer after a period of years.

Comment

Five g an acre? I’d bite. Ha. I’d bite really hard. Why the heck would one farm if you can get out for that kind of money? I just don’t see how it makes senses. Or cents?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    Five g an acre? I’d bite. Ha. I’d bite really hard. Why the heck would one farm if you can get out for that kind of money? I just don’t see how it makes senses. Or cents?
                    So if you were offered that right now you'd walk away?? Money talks Sheep.
                    I don't think you would based on your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      I would sell a couple outliers for sure. Keep the chunk at home. Play farm with my millionaire status. Fence her all! Plant more trees! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                        I would sell a couple outliers for sure. Keep the chunk at home. Play farm with my millionaire status. Fence her all! Plant more trees! Lol
                        if the doomsayers on here are right and cash will become worthless and the stock market is overvalued, and real estate is dropping because of the upcoming economic crash, what would you do with that money from the sale?
                        Last edited by dmlfarmer; Dec 2, 2020, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                          if the doomsayers on here are right and cash will become worthless and the stock market is overvalued, and real estate is dropping because of the upcoming economic crash, what would you do with that money from the sale?
                          Lol. I think I’d buy fences, forage seeds galore, and a shwack of sheep. Buy many fuel tanks and fill them to the brim. Same with oil. Ammunition/reloading equipment, and all the guns to go with it. Get a modest solar panel setup. Would continue living like a king way out here.

Any money left over, I would give to my favorite charity that works to help the poor in Honduras. They are in dire straits right now being hit with two nasty hurricanes. We think we have problems? There’s some real hurt in other places that could sure use the help. We are such a materialistic bunch as a whole.

Ahh heck, maybe if money was useless, I would just give it all away if I knew far enough ahead of time... I don’t have a whole lotta needs. Gimme the ammo and guns, I’d make do. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                            I would pay off some debt. The rest would have to wait.
                            Problem is, once you're out of a particular asset class, you're out.
                            Completely out of real property and you're at the mercy of inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              I think if I was in an area paying 5k per cultivated acre I’d consider selling some and buying 3x the acres in an area where you can pay 1200-1500.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.