• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spy in da sky.......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spy in da sky.......

Looking at getting a drone for looking for cows in bush and rough fields. Also some crop scouting and the wife wants to make some videos. Never flown one but the wife has a few times and seems gung-ho on it. She’s looking at a DJI mavic 2 pro and Costco has it on sale. Just curious if anyone else is using them and how much use they get? Any recommendations would be great too.

Thanks.

I stole my brothers Parrot. Its pretty basic and photo quality isn’t great compared to the more photo focused ones but it still does the job. Has good live viewing while you’re flying to see stuff. Photos are bubbles though.

When I was doing research into getting one for photos I was liking the Phantoms. I think they have the option of the infrared and various filters that could come in handy for crops. Mavic is probably similar since it’s the same company/brand.

Can’t say I really know much about the different specs and prices though. Other than so far I’ve been too cheap to buy one for myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
      I stole my brothers Parrot. Its pretty basic and photo quality isn’t great compared to the more photo focused ones but it still does the job. Has good live viewing while you’re flying to see stuff. Photos are bubbles though.

When I was doing research into getting one for photos I was liking the Phantoms. I think they have the option of the infrared and various filters that could come in handy for crops. Mavic is probably similar since it’s the same company/brand.

Can’t say I really know much about the different specs and prices though. Other than so far I’ve been too cheap to buy one for myself!
      It’s going to be a joint Christmas present so it’s two birds (chickens possibly😉) with one stone. My dad has been hinting we should get one for several years already.

Comment

Neighbor has one, I have had him spot beaver dams for me sure beats sloping around on foot amongst cattails and reed canary trying to find them.

Comment

I have had one for years and have my SFOC. Mine is a Phantom 4 Pro. Good little drone takes awesome pictures. The Mavic Pro i believe is better than the Phantoms. Hours of fun plus useful. I have found livestock, done photo work for farmers in disputes with insurance. Take yard and land photos for farmers, auctioneers, real estate etc.
          You should consider getting your license. The new system with Transport Canada allows a license for recreational purposes and your own use.It could be compared to getting your boat license. I know i will get flamed for suggesting this as another useless fee. I have never been stopped or questioned by anyone so the risk of getting caught is awful low especially in rural areas. But heaven help the guy who ever gets into an accident especially with another flying plane without a license.
          If you get one i am sure you will enjoy it. Maybe even post a few pictures on here.

Comment

Landview puts on a great 2 day course.
            Phantom 4 Pro getting older.
            Batteries expensive and finicky.
            Practically fly themselves.
            You wont be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Landview puts on a great 2 day course.
              Phantom 4 Pro getting older.
              Batteries expensive and finicky.
              Practically fly themselves.
              You wont be sorry.
              Where’s the best place to get batteries for the phantom ?

Comment

Couldn't say. But I've used Dr drone out of NS.
                Trouble is they get old. At $230 LoL.

Comment

What ever you buy, if you have to, pay a little bit more to someone who will service it. I got mine from a box store and immediately had problems and no one to look at it. Phantom 4.

Comment

Phantom 4 is getting outdated for sure but still serves the purpose well for me. I bought my last 2 batteries 3 years ago for 250 for the pair on Amazon from China. The first 2 batteries that came with it new lasted only 1 summer.
                    Originally had trouble with my control box. Sent it away on warranty to California. They sent me a new one. Since then i have never had an issue except with updates. They are constantly up dating and some of them seem to make no difference.
                    From what i have heard the Mavic Pro seems to be the way to go.DJI has always been good to me with advice too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.