• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could we be done?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could we be done?

The fact that we are still not done given we are Sandbox farmers in comparison to some others begs the question what could have we done different?

Not seed late crops like flax(or soybeans if we had)?

Harvest tough grain and dry it(We don't have a drier and for a farm our size where we farm, seldom would have ever nèeded one).

The weather is the main culprit this year, my statement about September being a drizzly pissy month has proven itself in spades this year, extreme as it was. October isn't co-operating.

I want to be done already. Is given our farm size and the fact I may finish harvest 2018 at the same time as some of the big boys a testament to my poor management? If we were any bigger I would have to change my strategy. When do I quit waiting for two short days of good harvest weather to hopefully grind out that last bit of flax...hopefully near dry. I know some people don't even have that luxury of "waiting"... some people aren't waiting for near dry grain, they are waiting for the opportunity to harvest...period!!!!!

Time is of the essence.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 9, 2018, 07:28.

I d say 60/40 that we are done. There will be some standing crops with a better chance even with snow. But over all not in our favor.

Comment

Yeah it’s still wet out there for us. Barely get down the dirt road without mud balls flying

Was dreaming about trying some high speed discing. Not a Chance now, maybe in a couple weeks

Comment

Other than the early attempt at harvesting peas off the Enbridge pipeline construction corridor, harvest started in earnest here in the Slum on August 6th... it's been long enough already.

Comment

I am like you farma, small timer and still didnt get near close to done. My dad is jumping right out of his skin. Wants the whole place in lentils next yr and a class 9 combine so we are at least done before labour day.

Comment

I looked at the opening Canola market today and was greated with a giant collective yawn.

Comment

The 50bpa crop now in the field may be a 30bpa crop in the spring and worth more in spring of 2019....

harvest less make more....

Still its no consolation that no one is paying attention....

Comment

farmaholic.

Is it true that Enbridge cut you an entry fee cheque of $60,000.00/quarter? What were the terms for the corridor?

Comment

There’s nothing different I could have done this year. Took 3 wks to seed, which is on par, started early enough. Sept is for the most part harvest month, pretty hard to have everything done by the 11th. That’s the last day we did anything.
                  On the 9th we tried 5 different fields to try and find something ready. Thankfully the chickpeas were ready. Got them off before this crap set in.
                  End of this month is a big crap insurance bill to pay, it’s sad there’s been no mention of an extension. They will hold our money till spring and then do an adjustment on how the crop looks then. Meanwhile our revenue may sit in the field while they get there’s in three wks.

Comment

Well I looked back and maybe would of had the two wheat done that’s it nothing has moved in a week or more heree

Comment

One additional comment. We had 6 tenths in July 9, nothing from then on. If it would have rained a couple inches in July how many more acres more would a person have out?
                      I feel bad for the guys in the north and Alberta.
                      We have been fortunate here with only 3 inches snow last wk, and 1.5 inches rain in the last month. Snow is gone, just can’t get a couple nice days back to back.
                      If things don’t change in the most couple wks I may start swathing what I have left. I’m not concieding defeat, would rather have it on swath then flat come spring.

Comment

Only way we could be done by now is if we took tough immature grain in August and early September. Smoke held back maturity by 2-3 weeks or more. 135-140 days to get wheat to maturity around here is unheard of.

If taken more than I would ever liked o have taken of tough, finally matured grain over the last 3 weeks or so, and it looks like the rest is going to have to come tough as well.

Was out two days ago and the crop is laying down on ground that is absolutely soaked. Combine tires are balls of mud, trucks are squirming around in the field. And fresh snow is on the ground as of this morning, with more in the forecast for Friday.

Long range gives us a week of warmer dryer weather starting Saturday, then off and on garbage until the new year.

My patience is nearly gone.

Comment

Different? Good question...Took 9 days to seed, 15 swathing days, 39 days since started combining?

2017 All combining was in Sept, 6-30.

It's just SHITTY weather, happened many times in my 50 years, long drawn out harvests!

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                            farmaholic.

Is it true that Enbridge cut you an entry fee cheque of $60,000.00/quarter? What were the terms for the corridor?
                            Something like that checking but a little more complicated...
                            Easement
                            Temporary work space
                            Extended(years) crop loss
                            Fertilizer allowance
                            Etc
                            Etc
                            Etc

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                              Different? Good question...Took 9 days to seed, 15 swathing days, 39 days since started combining?

2017 All combining was in Sept, 6-30.

It's just SHITTY weather, happened many times in my 50 years, long drawn out harvests!
                              Fj... Over sixty days since the combines hit the fields in the Slum of the Ghetto. This is getting old.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.