• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why land is worth much more some places

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnt View Post
    If I may ask, what province are you in, and what part of it?

Over the past 10 years there has been a steady trickle of Amish leave here and gone north and west.

What some of them who moved to Northern Ontario are finding is that it ain't easy making a living on "cheaper" land.

A cow eats a lot more hay up there than here in the south of the province.
    Manitoba 45 mins northwest of Portage la Prairie . They like the light soil for pulling horse plows but the -30 January days were real eye openers. The one guy told me he grows better corn here then he grew back east plus corn grazing would not work on there clay type soils, too much compaction.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      [ATTACH]7159[/ATTACH]

You can clearly see the quarter boundaries. The activity to the north and west happened first.
      Could it be smoothed out, planted to grass and eventually pastured???

Just wondering? Seems grass will grow on gravel, no???

Comment

Topsoil is ‘supposed to be’ stripped and piled according to the mine plan submitted to regulatory body. So in theory it could be recontoured and reclaimed. But if they do a poor job and mix the topsoil it can be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
          Could it be smoothed out, planted to grass and eventually pastured???

Just wondering? Seems grass will grow on gravel, no???
          I don't know what they have to do.
          Probably depends who owns the land and what the contract states.
          Lots of old pits left as is..... leaving bad terrain.

Comment

Cheaper to leave it as an ‘active mine/pit’ than to spend the dozer and excavator hours and reclaim it is why they are left in that state.

Comment

Funny little bit of info no land has sold north of town in three years and that sale was nephew from aunt and nephew from uncle.

South big sale happened and now Albertan moved in might give gas buddy a run. South Africans are players and buying. Further north some younger farmers bought a nice size cost enough but cheap compared to other areas.

Funny we’re clay and clay loam flat to gentle and it usually rains or over does it. Always a crop and we play with the big hitters on yield most years.

But loose two or three corporate big dog farms that we’re going to show us all how to farm with Toronto money and well the rest don’t sell don’t care and farm on.

Also only 10 real family farms in our area so unless your relative or bachelor selling out or a section or 6 quarter farmer nothing trades find a value is hard.

Good area but funny when a bank values your land with assessments like Regina and prices like edgeley.q.

It slowly is moving up.

Comment

When he sold gas buddy.com he bought south/East of us a nice farm and continues to purchase. Morris’s also crossed the big hole in the ground

Comment

IMO, land in the prairie provinces is lagging because of a lack of foreign influence. Every other industry in Canada has foreign capital flowing into it especially housing in cities. Canada is a capital and infrastructure poor country.

The land and probably the economy would get a considerable pop if more of that was allowed, but would it be a good idea? Bring it in and tax the hell out of it?

Sask holds the largest chunk of arable land in the country and it has heavy restrictions on ownership and development in many rms. Go around Calgary and edmonton and there are acreages an hour out. Some around saskatoon, not a lot around regina.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    IMO, land in the prairie provinces is lagging because of a lack of foreign influence. Every other industry in Canada has foreign capital flowing into it especially housing in cities. Canada is a capital and infrastructure poor country.

The land and probably the economy would get a considerable pop if more of that was allowed, but would it be a good idea? Bring it in and tax the hell out of it?

Sask holds the largest chunk of arable land in the country and it has heavy restrictions on ownership and development in many rms. Go around Calgary and edmonton and there are acreages an hour out. Some around saskatoon, not a lot around regina.
                    There are a few concentrated areas that lots of foreign money flows in. Mostly specialized farms. For sure affects the prices and I would hate to see it encouraged. Good as an exit strategy but otherwise harmful to local economies. Before SK relaxed their land ownership laws I wished we had similar here. You must attribute some of the recent years run up to those changes?

I'm an hour from Calgary and yes acreages on almost every quarter but it doesnt stop here. I've known lots of people that commuted 2hrs each way to the city. Our county did try to put some subdividing rules in place to limit the number of acreages and tried to restrict it to long term owners as opposed to guys buying and then right away subdividing to help pay for the purchase but it didnt last long, officially some policy but basically whatever goes.

Comment

I guess we're moving on up to the east side of Chicago.

The latest sale is $406,249.88. 8 quarters sold and yes its arms-length transaction. $2539.06 an acre.

It's really easy I want $30,000,000.00 I'm done and you get two houses lots of grain storage, dryer system, Cleaning plant. Lots of Cold storage and Heated shop. Spring fed water min 100 gallons a min. Would make a nice Hutt Colony or investor farm. Hey, I'll even let you rent another 3000 acres if you want. Could give up my mineral rights on 10 quarters but that's negotiable.

Price is non-negotiable its the quoted amount.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

The latest sale is $406,249.88. 8 quarters sold and yes its arms-length transaction. $2539.06 an acre.

It's really easy I want $30,000,000.00 I'm done and you get two houses lots of grain storage, dryer system, Cleaning plant. Lots of Cold storage and Heated shop. Spring fed water min 100 gallons a min. Would make a nice Hutt Colony or investor farm. Hey, I'll even let you rent another 3000 acres if you want. Could give up my mineral rights on 10 quarters but that's negotiable.

How many acres do I get for that price?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                          I'm an hour from Calgary and yes acreages on almost every quarter but it doesnt stop here. .
                          Alberta is set to add 2-3 million more people in the next 20 yrs. Sask and MB about 300k each.

I would say land anywhere within a stones throw of Calgary, the QE and edmonton would be a great bet right now especially with the economy lagging. Even with diminished oil, Calgary is no Detroit.

Canada is moving toward a handful of mega cities and some large second tier metros. Going to be a lot of outback space between so that land better grow a lot of grain, or have oil or minerals under it. A northern version of Australia. Maybe sask will get peppered with solar panels.

Comment

6400 cult plus an additional 3200 if you want.

Comment

Chyrstia is drooling with anticipation of your offer being accepted.

She's got you in her cross-hairs.

She will "unlock" you.

She will make her untouchable trust-fund baby boy boss happy.

Make. No. Mistake.

Comment

Can that farm pay for itself....at the current prices?

To make P&I payment you would need 3 million clear after expenses every year

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.