• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snare Season

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horse View Post
    I dont know when the law changed but about 30 yr ago when I trapped only registered trappers were allowed to use snares,and only in the green area (aka crown land). Resident trappers ,those in settled areas (aka the white areas) were not allowed to use them,other than beaver and then the entire loop had to be submersed. Thats in Alta
    You’re supposed to have a license, take the course, to my understanding anyway. Can’t just go out and snare. Not sure how much it’s enforced though. I called Fish and Game when this originally happened because it’s county lease land and the guy on the lease had just passed away and his wife had no idea about any trapping. In no way was F&G even interested in coming out and chatting with the guy. He just told me the 70yr old widow was lying to me and he wasn’t going to drive out from Olds to see otherwise. For all I know the trapper has no license. Although he probably needs one to sell properly?

Either way it gave me absolutely no faith in F&G. Surprise surprise.

Comment

Yup $400 3 day course to be able to get licence now probably like boating licence so you know about ocean going vessels and bouys,real important on the prairies.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Good luck getting further than a half mile from any yard site around here, even a quarter mile would be tough.
        Sounds like Saskatchewan in the 1920’s. Now there are a lot of abandoned farmyards that are farmed around until they get cleared off.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
          Sounds like Saskatchewan in the 1920’s. Now there are a lot of abandoned farmyards that are farmed around until they get cleared off.
          Yeah if I didn’t have paradise as my backyard, it would be difficult to find snare sites more than a mile from a yard.

Comment

When wolves come to your yard and kill your dog as well as a couple other neighbors dogs, if someone’s dogs is running around near snares they are in much bigger danger in our area.
            Last edited by Dr Tone; Nov 29, 2020, 09:24.

Comment

We have a licensed fellow snaring on a couple of our quarters and there hasn’t been an issue yet. Not power snares so a tame dog should be fine anyway. I try to let neighbours know that any dogs chasing cows on our property will be dealt with in a permanent way. We’ve had packs of dogs chase calves through a fence, down the road, and chew holes through their hide at 5 am in a neighbour’s yard on Canada day. I ended up putting the one calf down a day later.

There is no shortage of stray dogs, coyote, beaver, deer, elk, squirrels, and other assorted destructive wildlife in the neighbourhood. We had over 20 different guys hunting this fall and the last few years and the numbers are still increasing. Ma Nature is a little too resilient at times.

**end of rant**

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                We have a licensed fellow snaring on a couple of our quarters and there hasn’t been an issue yet. Not power snares so a tame dog should be fine anyway. I try to let neighbours know that any dogs chasing cows on our property will be dealt with in a permanent way. We’ve had packs of dogs chase calves through a fence, down the road, and chew holes through their hide at 5 am in a neighbour’s yard on Canada day. I ended up putting the one calf down a day later.

There is no shortage of stray dogs, coyote, beaver, deer, elk, squirrels, and other assorted destructive wildlife in the neighbourhood. We had over 20 different guys hunting this fall and the last few years and the numbers are still increasing. Ma Nature is a little too resilient at times.

**end of rant**
                To be legal snares have to be locking,or power so there is a fast kill. Read the regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                  To be legal snares have to be locking,or power so there is a fast kill. Read the regulations.
                  He uses the locking ones. I know he’s caught a couple dogs over the years and they generally don’t pull so it doesn’t cinch up. He has to check them very regular or else the eagles start chewing up everything. He gets all his paperwork done and keeps it all legit. Great service for everyone including the couple of sheep guys around.

Comment

Not a job i want.
                    Yotes stink too much for me and i hate fleas. I swear they're rotting while alive. Colony boys charge $20.
                    Hired man even made a machine to make snares. A trick to doing it right.
                    He gets all permissions and informs. Checks them often and makes sure to take them all down. Has caught and released one dog.
                    Young Hutts all snare. Which is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Not a job i want.
                      Yotes stink too much for me and i hate fleas. I swear they're rotting while alive. Colony boys charge $20.
                      Hired man even made a machine to make snares. A trick to doing it right.
                      He gets all permissions and informs. Checks them often and makes sure to take them all down. Has caught and released one dog.
                      Young Hutts all snare. Which is a different story.
                      I make my shares. Cost is maybe a tenth of buying. When you make hundreds is makes sense...

Yup. They have an odour. It is hard to take. Worst thing that happened to me is while skinning once, an unknown squirt, of unknown origin, but definitely of known odour and flavour, nailed me in the face. I gagged. I gagged again. That didn’t work, so I dry heaved a few times for good measure. It’s hard when you are wearing coyote slimed rubber gloves, the nearest paper towel is a hundred yards away, and you simply MUST wipe your face, under your nose, before the unknown dribbles into your mouth. Your sleeves aren’t much better than the gloves, let me tell you.

But somehow, I keep at it and enjoy it.

Comment

Guess you should’ve had a mask on 🤐

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                          Guess you should’ve had a mask on 🤐
                          I was actually going to end the post with that statement! Lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.