• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apologies but landmark court decision world ramifications

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies but landmark court decision world ramifications

This thread will denegrate apologies mods.

1 not a cut and paste my take from tv media last night radio today.

2 i am not expert trying to convey the decision as i understood it.

3 try to hear both sides of things wether i agree or not bit like my personality balanced, i have a chip on both shoulders.

Anyway a court here in australia yesterday ruled a mining project, coking coal, said the "percieved dire consquences" of the projects effect on glabal pollution levels. So one judge opinion canned this project, what if it was a "right" leaning judge all in the perception eh.

Apparently first time in australia or the world a project has been stopped because of impact on global warming. Plenty of projects been stopped in the past because of enviornmental concerns habitat forest waterways undergrund water etc but this in the next step up.

It was going to produce 2.5 million tonne of coking coal a year. Owned by a german company. The increase to global warming is two fold one the mining operation its self and two the steel manufactures who import the coal from australia to make steel presumably china and Eu. Was going to be world class standard in terms of operation cleand and green doubt it but best possible practice as it was i think open cut.

Currently there are $100 billion worth of projects in aust to come up for review over next 6 months they are now at risk or worse they my just pack up there bat and ball and go elsewere.

Other thing 2018 coal for the first time topped australian export dollars beating iron ore for first time and also australia pipped indonesia for world biggest coal exporter.

Australia coking coal is nemero uno best quality in the world meaning less coal to produce same amount of steel. So importes have oh well we will just go elsewere indonesia which basically has third world mining standards.

Green groups australia and world wide have applauded the decsion. Aust green politicians have said its a utter disgrace that coal and iron are out biggest export earners in dollar terms so not sure what they want us to export.

Same pollies have they will not stop until there is no coal oil gas gold copper iron ore uranium mining forestry in australia full stop. Not sure what there gonna build house from roads schools etc etc.

So we expect more of these decisions to come, if australia is the first "commodity exporter" to fall other countries who rely on such income will follow.

If there was a viable option it would be ok.

The judge came out who made the decision and said "this decision does not set a precedence" i find that hard to swallow.

But in saying that a court ruling by same judge a few months ago was asked to overturn a mining propasal but ruled in favour of the mines.

So its a conundrum for miners here in aust. And were sitting on squillions of resources.

And not sure who the govt bank account would look without royalties and gst from minerals and oil and gas etc etc.

End of rant sorry for boring you with my crap.

Oh and ps there no talk of a court challenge from the company involved yet.

pps sure there spelling errors grammer police easier to understand than a boring cut and paste
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Feb 8, 2019, 23:17.

So you're dumbfounded and disgusted.
    Join the club.

Comment

So, the law of unintended consequences will prevail yet again. Resource extraction, and related industries will continue to move from the cleanest, healthiest, safest most regulated regions in the world, to the least.
      As a result, the cost to the environment will go up, the cost in human lives and health will go up, and when it is already too late, the people celebrating the move will eventually notice that their standards of living will go down.

Comment

Fark sorry about that just reread it looks like a grade fiver wrote sorry about spelling.

Guess point was to a degree if the judge had a different bias may have been a different result.

I guess i rambled poeples views changing voting patterns different weve gotta live with change.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
          Fark sorry about that just reread it looks like a grade fiver wrote sorry about spelling.

Guess point was to a degree if the judge had a different bias may have been a different result.

I guess i rambled poeples views changing voting patterns different weve gotta live with change.
          What a disturbing story. A couple of points, mallee,

Your post and its message were perfectly clear. And simply staggering in what it portrays.

Are your judges elected in Australia?

But I think that it isn't the first time in the world that an energy project has been stopped on that basis - look at the pipeline fiasco here in Canada, also stopped by a court.

But yeah, what is the world to live on if pretty well everything we do is found to be wrong and bad.

It's like nihilism has replaced the drive to survive.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Not to worry citizens of down under. The government is way ahead on this one. Through the use of solar power they plan to extract hydrogen from good ole useless water and sell to the Chinese for trillions.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Mallie it sounds like all your scientists went to Lemming university as well.

Comment

To have good steel to recycle at evraz you have to start with top grade coking steel.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  To have good steel to recycle at evraz you have to start with top grade coking steel.

Iron ore sure on a heater. Must be signalling deflation. Bahaha

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

Iron ore sure on a heater.

Last edited by biglentil; Feb 9, 2019, 09:07.

Comment

Where does the electricity come from to power the electric cars?

Comment

Comes out of a plug in the wall.

Those cars don't emit carbon and are non-polluting.

In 2 years they will offer one that is better for the environment and you can scrap the one you have as nobody wants used as you don't get the gvmt subsidy and the technology is not leading edge.

Comment

Not sure about judge question think they work there way through the ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                            Where does the electricity come from to power the electric cars?
                            Not from solar or wind less than 2% of electricity in Alberta is from those 2 sources during this cold snap.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                              Not from solar or wind less than 2% of electricity in Alberta is from those 2 sources during this cold snap.
                              Turbines in my area haven’t turned in two weeks and we are in the ultimate area for wind.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.