• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture Spraying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture Spraying

I would like to find out about spraying rough steep pastures. Has anyone experience using drones for spraying

I guess my first question would be - why? If it's rough and steep presumably you aren't bringing it into grain production. Whatever is growing on it I'm sure you could largely fix by grazing.

Comment

It is native pasture, very steep rugged terrian. Problems with western snow berry, rosebush. saskatoons and Canada thistle. Very steep, a horse country to move cattle. This is cattle country and not for for the flats grain farming

Comment

Originally posted by Intrepid1 View Post
        It is native pasture, very steep rugged terrian. Problems with western snow berry, rosebush. saskatoons and Canada thistle. Very steep, a horse country to move cattle. This is cattle country and not for for the flats grain farming
        Typical species resulting from overgrazing in the past probably. I don't consider them problem weeds, more soil healers trying to improve things for you. My cows will eat out the thistles and browse the buck brush enough to set it back. They nibble on the saskatoons too although they are supposed to be poisonous!
        Our inclination is to prefer grass for our cattle but if it's real steep stuff you'll want these deep rooted shrubby species to hold the soil and prevent erosion. I wouldn't spray the pasture but I'm funny like that - the only reason I would spray would be to terminate a pasture and thats after all other options have failed.

Comment

Just hire your local spray pilot just give a few extra bucks and he will spray anything. MCPA ester and a surfactant will do a good job . On the plus side you wont have to open or close any gates.

Comment

The pastures are high in the foothills, very steep with rough terrain. It is not safe for regular aerial sprayers to work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.