• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roast lamb anyone

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
    One more comment sheep wheat why dont you grow em out to 70 kg live guessing your season to short you runninto snow and extra feed costs
    That or smaller, is what most of our ewes weigh! It would take a long time or never to get a lamb to 70 kg, particularly the katahdin breed. They’re just a smaller framed sheep to begin with. Otherwise, the bigger the merrier for sure. These lambs are finished at 22 to 25 kg hanging. After that it would be putting on the fat.

There are enough Greeks here, but from what I have seen, they are cheap for the most part, kind of like the muslims. If it isn’t cheap, they eat beef. I refuse to sell for cheap. Lol Tried a few Greek places in Regina. They use Aussie lamb on their menu. Somehow, they can ship your lamb over here, and still be priced much lower than us.

Our criteria is fairly narrow. High end restaurants with high priced menus, Restaurants where local products matter, for example. That eliminates piles of places and people.

Interesting to me regarding ages you prefer. We can’t legally sell lambs over a year as lamb. It would have to be labelled mutton. As soon as you label something as mutton in western Canada, whether it’s flavour is divine or not, people immediately wont buy. And as I said before, our market here is so immature, there aren’t any in between options yet.

Comment

Also, the Greek restaurant owners we met with, are extremely unwilling to change, and they don’t give a rip about local. We weren’t even pitching lamb to them as in the cuts they serve currently, we never step on toes. We offered something they and nearly no one else has on menus. But they kept saying we’re happy with our lamb, we’re happy with our lamb. We just couldn’t get the point home that we aren’t trying to change your menu, we are offering something extremely different to add on.

Was like a brick wall. Lol. Oh well, I hope they enjoyed their hundred dollars worth of samples.

It’s all good.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
        Actually in Saskatchewan , Regina and Saskatoon most of the high end restaurants are Greek run and do the greek style lamb dishes.
        I wouldn’t say most, but a few of them are Greek, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          Lol. We were in Nipawin on Friday. Before we tasted this latest thing. We left samples of racks, shanks, and ground at two places. Not going to say which places until they place an order. I’ve learned a thing or two in this gig. 😏
          well if you get a restaurant or store handling it near us let me know
          or maybe i will drive out and visit some of you southerners (partners , FJ, you , etc.), (since i can't go to the beach)when we get done with this massive crop lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            Also, the Greek restaurant owners we met with, are extremely unwilling to change, and they don’t give a rip about local. We weren’t even pitching lamb to them as in the cuts they serve currently, we never step on toes. We offered something they and nearly no one else has on menus. But they kept saying we’re happy with our lamb, we’re happy with our lamb. We just couldn’t get the point home that we aren’t trying to change your menu, we are offering something extremely different to add on. ers

Was like a brick wall. Lol. Oh well, I hope they enjoyed their hundred dollars worth of samples.

It’s all good.
            a couple Greek brothers have a couple restaurants in weyburn.They bought my daughters lambs that she raised.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...