• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop still out in Alberta?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop still out in Alberta?

I went for a drive today through Lacombe/Rimbey/Ponoka area. Most guys are done but probably drove past 2000 acres still out. How are the other areas? I started my canola at 14% and it never got under 12% with straw that was more like silage, I still have 100 acres of canola standing that I am hoping for a chinook. If it doesn't come what should I expect to be left in the spring? Its a Pioneer roundup straight cut variety that was yielding low 60's when I was growling it through tough.

Do those farmers get the same municipal tax freeze as the energy sector?????

Comment

One neighbour has 2,000 acres of canola out yet and another has some wheat. Most others managed to finish up. Heck if my crop was out and standing decent I’d be rolling. The wind knocked the snow off here and it sure beats combining in May. Natural gas is cheap and dryers are half as busy as last year. Only once did combining, seeding, and calving at the same time and that was farrrrrr from fun............

Hope your chinook shows up. 👍

Comment

Still have about 750 acres left. Saw quite a bit of canola out in the immediate area, but I don't think it is very widespread. Just those of us trying to farm in the extreme end of the coldest wettest area in the prairies.

Woodland, that was our spring this year, combining, seeding, calving, drying fall grain, all at once and did I mention that it rained EVERY DAY.

Comment

West of hwy 2 a bit left. 300 ac personally. Most guys got done before the snow, the rest of us were all down to a couple more days. Better than last year, hoping to get a chance at it yet. Very little fieldwork got done here.

Comment

Small group of farms here east of Calgary with some badly hailed canola left to go. Maybe 1500 acres between 5 or 6 farms. July 24 storm hammered it but it tried to regrow and pod. Probably be green pepper if we get to it but have to get the residue off the field ... weather being a dick for the last 10 days with snow and way below seasonal temps.

Comment

Still some oats out in swath around here. Quite green but made it quite far along for being seeded around June 23.

Comment

Hwy 2 a big cutoff. Usually an inch of water less every 25 miles East you go.
                Nothing left 90 miles SE of Edmonton.
                We were also just outside the flood areas.
                Canola so dry it actually lost 5%+ on weight comparing monitor to bin levels.
                NOT a complaint.
                Good luck to everyone.
                And dont sell the swather.

Comment

Originally posted by Wink73 View Post
                  Small group of farms here east of Calgary with some badly hailed canola left to go. Maybe 1500 acres between 5 or 6 farms. July 24 storm hammered it but it tried to regrow and pod. Probably be green pepper if we get to it but have to get the residue off the field ... weather being a dick for the last 10 days with snow and way below seasonal temps.
                  That Was the same storm system that hit us in this area .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...