• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Partners View Post
    Some people still cut canola real green.
    Yes loss foresure in heat.
    But with pod shatter and swathing when seeds are blk half way up the plant has changed the rules on that.
    Canola dry in 12 days leaves straight cut in the dust..
    Both have their place
    No doubt there was yield loss on early swathed stuff here for sure , was unavoidable with the continued heat and wind . Was no real good time to swath . We swathed on the later side what we could , there was very little yield difference .
    Standing thin spots had a fair amount of pod drop in areas . So it’s a give and take here . Lighter swaths were blown in areas , headlands not fun on a few fields

Comment

North of here , straight cut is a train wreck with wet green straw and pods going straight out
      Canola dry , straw green and wet . Impossible to separate with any machine . It need time and frost , but farmers are farmers and impatient lol

Comment

Less than 10% here, I only know one field that is done actually. Likely everyone going soon though, probably start up by the weekend. Some swaths have been down for over 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
          were to start snowing, that risk equation would look much different.
          Snow is the reason I straight cut everything. We have combined standing canola with snow on the ground more years than not. No hope of doing swaths in those conditions.

Comment

In my area of the SE mostly standing canola left. It hasn't been ready until the last few days. We are just finishing cereals and will be in canola soon. A few just trying to go early were losing unripe post over the sieves last week. A lot better now.

Comment

West of Edmonton just a little has been taken off. The big white combine has harvested more canola in the last few weeks than any other colour machine around here.

Just going to try some swathes today here…….🤞

Comment

Chatted with bunge manager.
                Mega bushels priced at 18 dollars.
                So short term is full..

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  Very little crop left out in this area
                  Lots done
                  Holy Crap
                  We are almost the same area and there is standing canola everywhere I look.
                  I swathed all my canola and have 30% of it off. The rest of mine was testing 12 this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Snow is the reason I straight cut everything. We have combined standing canola with snow on the ground more years than not. No hope of doing swaths in those conditions.
                    I guess I should clarify. Snow that is sort of dry, not too heavy, or even a series of snows like that-standing can be just fine.
                    2016 tho we got a couple feet of wet heavy snow in first week of Oct. Pasted everything to the ground. It did melt, but digging that canola off the ground wrecked a lot of machinery. Some didn’t get harvested til the following spring, and that was with heavy harrows.

Both swath and straight have their place. We do some of each to hedge against things going badly for one way or the other.

Shatter resistant canola is nice for having more options/flexibility. BASF is a shit company to have to buy it from but that’s another discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                      Holy Crap
                      We are almost the same area and there is standing canola everywhere I look.
                      I swathed all my canola and have 30% of it off. The rest of mine was testing 12 this afternoon.
                      Yes it’s amazing
                      15 miles and it’s a different world
                      You sure got nailed with the water this spring
                      Know the feeling
                      Hope you get it
                      Been there so often
                      Pretty disheartening

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                        2016 tho we got a couple feet of wet heavy snow in first week of Oct. Pasted everything to the ground. It did melt, but digging that canola off the ground wrecked a lot of machinery.
                        Been there, done that, have the destroyed equipment to prove it. Year after year.

Roll all the cereals because scraping them off the ground due to snow and or rain is just par for the course. There have been a few times I wished we had rolled the canola too. Don't

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                          Chatted with bunge manager.
                          Mega bushels priced at 18 dollars.
                          So short term is full..
                          Noticed a lot of canola sitting in bags and guys done and not moving it. Is it all pre contracted, who knows, but no apparent rush to haul it in.

Comment

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/a-huge-cr...Dzd82fV6FC4SaY
                            buyers having trouble keeping this quiet
                            Read that too. Seen it with my own eyes. Reports coming in from areas not far away on ground better than mine in the 30’s. That $900 per bag canola seed did no better than the cheap stuff. Been that way last 3+ years. Parasites better realize flax and cereals are penciling out just as good and less risk. Cinderella is old grumpy and expects more than she deserves. Still figure if all the expected crush capacity comes to fruition we won’t be able to satisfy that let alone export. Throw in fertilizer reduction bs and disease pressure and we will be importing the crap.

Comment

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/a-huge-cr...Dzd82fV6FC4SaY
                              buyers having trouble keeping this quiet
                              Anecdotally, before harvest there was a real shortage of grain bins at any price. Yet a few days ago I was told that due to the disappointing yields, there's lots of grain bins available now. This is central Alberta, anything that wasn't drowned out or hailed out looked tremendous as of middle of July. I expected many of the areas west of highway 2 to be disappointing with all of the excess rain, but on paper at least, it was an ideal year east of highway 2. I would have thought that with that much rain in june, most areas could survive a period of hot and dry. I know I am certainly grateful that it finally quit raining and turned 30 above. Our crops were so far behind from the lack of heat in June that I thought they never would finish.
                              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Sep 25, 2022, 16:54.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.