• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Vehicles

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Vehicles

Canadian Tire Regina has a electric vehicle recharging station. Very occasionally one might see a vehicle charging at the pumps. Yesterday a friend saw a brand new Ford half ton charging so he went over to chat with the owner. The owner made the trip from Melville and needed to charge up before returning. This was his maiden voyage. He wasn’t sure if it would take him two hours to charge but he was told that he needed to open an account and it would cost him about 40 cents per minute. He was pretty sure 140 minutes of charge would get him back to Melville. So he was asked if there was any gas engine back up if and when he ran out of charge and he said when he runs out of charge the truck stops, wherever that may be. Hmmm, that seems pretty dicey to me and I don’t think I’ll be buying an electric vehicle any day soon, what about you?

Did you already forget about A4's Tesla and his real world positive experience he posted on Agriville?

Instead you are going to rely on a friends second hand information at the Canadian tire to evaluate EVs?

Comment

Looks like 150 km from Regina Cambodian Tire to Melville. And the EV F150 owner planned to make that on one charge, so obviously he wasn't towing a trailer, because the testing indicates that they can't make that range with a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Canadian Tire Regina has a electric vehicle recharging station. Very occasionally one might see a vehicle charging at the pumps. Yesterday a friend saw a brand new Ford half ton charging so he went over to chat with the owner. The owner made the trip from Melville and needed to charge up before returning. This was his maiden voyage. He wasn’t sure if it would take him two hours to charge but he was told that he needed to open an account and it would cost him about 40 cents per minute. He was pretty sure 140 minutes of charge would get him back to Melville. So he was asked if there was any gas engine back up if and when he ran out of charge and he said when he runs out of charge the truck stops, wherever that may be. Hmmm, that seems pretty dicey to me and I don’t think I’ll be buying an electric vehicle any day soon, what about you?
        My neighbour drives a Ford half ton truck for work. It has the 3.5 eco boost V6 motor and he says it is great on gas. This is a bit funny because he is a Chev guy. Anyway he says it will get 30 mpg and has lots of power to pull a trailer. In the above example 140 minutes at 40 cents per minute is $56. 30 mpg converted equals 10.6 kms per litre. So it would take 15 litres to travel the same distance in the Eco boost, so roughly $23 or less than half the cost of electric plus you would save 2 hours. Not surprised, most Government lead initiatives don’t work out!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          My neighbour drives a Ford half ton truck for work. It has the 3.5 eco boost V6 motor and he says it is great on gas. This is a bit funny because he is a Chev guy. Anyway he says it will get 30 mpg and has lots of power to pull a trailer. In the above example 140 minutes at 40 cents per minute is $56. 30 mpg converted equals 10.6 kms per litre. So it would take 15 litres to travel the same distance in the Eco boost, so roughly $23 or less than half the cost of electric plus you would save 2 hours. Not surprised, most Government lead initiatives don’t work out!
          Darn laws of physics getting in the way again.

Comment

Not gonna lie to you but..... your neighbour definitely would.

If his f150 has a cab.. a fuel tank... a box... wheels.. a seat, pedals. Then maybe he could eek out 30 mpg. Or does he just haul it around on a deck of a chev 1/2 with the new little duramax?

That ecoboost cant possibly do that number unless he clocked it coasting downhill.

So your numbers in your calculation are just plain wrong.. and they are anyways.
            10.6 km / L works out to 24 mpg.

12.75 km/ L would be 30 mpg.

Story. Debunked.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post

If his f150 has a cab.. a fuel tank... a box... wheels.. a seat, pedals. Then maybe he could eek out 30 mpg. Or does he just haul it around on a deck of a chev 1/2 with the new little duramax?

That ecoboost cant possibly do that number unless he clocked it coasting downhill.

So your numbers in your calculation are just plain wrong.. and they are anyways.

Story. Debunked.
              Hamloc’s math is good for miles/imp gal and yours is good for miles/US gal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                Hamloc’s math is good for miles/imp gal and yours is good for miles/US gal.
                And regardless, if you use imperial gallons or us gallons, the ICE still works out too close to half the cost, if the rest of the numbers are correct as presented.
                One thing I have noticed over the years, any claims that involvebushels per acre and miles per gallon never quite seem to reflect reality.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  And regardless, if you use imperial gallons or us gallons, the ICE still works out too close to half the cost, if the rest of the numbers are correct as presented.
                  One thing I have noticed over the years, any claims that involvebushels per acre and miles per gallon never quite seem to reflect reality.
                  And why would that be? As long as both parties are on the same page it is just a measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                    And why would that be? As long as both parties are on the same page it is just a measurement.
                    I am of course referring to unsubstantiated coffee shop claims of either.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      I am of course referring to unsubstantiated coffee shop claims of either.
                      Well yes I have been to the coffee shop a couple of times and there may be some embellishment of stories. I see where you’re coming from now.

Comment

The ev f150 has a long way to go before I would be interested. I pull a 1100 gal imp water tank 68km round trip for spray water. If my son had to wait two hours while the truck was charging that would be unacceptable. 5-10 min to fill up vs 2 hrs. All day operation vs how many 2 hr stops with a working ev f150?

Comment

What’s your time worth when you run into the city to grab a part for the combine? Can you afford two hours standing at Canadian Tire scratching your ars? I would totally lose it and would take a cab to Volkswagen to lease a Tiguan to get home pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post

Story. Debunked.
                            30 miles = 48.28 kilometres. 4.54 litres in a Canadian gallon(imperial) therefore:
                            48.28/4.54 = 10.63. I rounded it down to 10.6

Comment

80 - 90% of recharging will be done from home electricity. Ice vehicles can shop around to find the cheapest fuel and reap the savings from lower world oil prices. I don't recall electricity being lowered in cities. How much of a convenient fee will be added by Tesla to the cost of the electricity at their charging stations.
                              Ottawa will trample themselves to add a green tax to charging stations, deterring people from traveling long distances.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.