• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola 60 bushel swath!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Very little rain from about July 10 to 30th give or take a day with near zero sub soil drastically reduced yields
    Exactly right furrow. If we could have got an inch in that period of time it would have changed the outcome significantly. 5-6 degrees less heat at that time would have let a few more flowers pollinate aswell. Canola likes the 25 degrees with decent moisture not dry and 35

Comment

what would neil say ??

Comment

My canola looked like 12bu/ac but only did 9bu/ac.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
          My canola looked like 12bu/ac but only did 9bu/ac.
          I thought you farm with irrigation? Or is this just the dryland so far?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            I thought you farm with irrigation? Or is this just the dryland so far?
            All canola was on dryland this year. Sat in gun powder for 3-4 weeks after seeding with cold nights. Finally got a decent shot of rain in the middle of June (first big rain in a year and a half). Crop actually looked good during flower but then the heat came and melted all the flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
              All canola was on dryland this year. Sat in gun powder for 3-4 weeks after seeding with cold nights. Finally got a decent shot of rain in the middle of June (first big rain in a year and a half). Crop actually looked good during flower but then the heat came and melted all the flowers.
              Same situation all through western Sask in general

Comment

Weird year here. Canola in the hills outyielded the level ground. Barley similar as well. Neighbour figures that downpour we got earlier on flooded it out some.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                  Started on canola.
                  Looks 40 to 50.
                  Going 30..
                  August for those of us who missed that 1-2" of rain to finish off the canola crop... cost 5=10bu/ac... then 5% moisture drops the yield another 3bu/ac. no rain in August - September is unusual... now 45days...

Amazing the early wheat did as well as it did... peas 70% of normal... canola 85-90% by the looks of what we have harvested, barley is done...90%. 1.5-2" in July with August 1/2" ... should be no surprise... between hail storms and poor rain coverage... SK will rally have to have a whale of a canola crop to make up for our shortage here in AB...

Fun times... safe harvesting...

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                    then 5% moisture drops the yield another 3bu/ac..
                    Not my fault if the bin lids are open in the rain. Wink wink…..

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                      canola 85-90% by the looks of what we have harvested,
                      Canola 5 year average in AB is 38.4 bpa -with a 28.9 disaster in 2021/22.
                      You're suggesting 32.6 to 34.5?
                      STATSCAN used 41.7 yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                        Weird year here. Canola in the hills outyielded the level ground. Barley similar as well. Neighbour figures that downpour we got earlier on flooded it out some.
                        Around here, we would call that normal, not weird. The most valuable asset around here is a hill. Even last year with no rain all summer, in most cases the hills still did better than the lower ground. It only seems to take one rain event to cut potential of the lower ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                          Not my fault if the bin lids are open in the rain. Wink wink…..
                          I tried leaving the tarps open on the truck boxes full of over dry canola in the rain once. All the moisture went right to the bottom made up wet mess stuck to the boxes and I don't think I gained any moisture in the rest of it. But it's not technically adding water though correct?

Comment

The good ………maybe 40bu?

The bad……….maybe 20bu?

The ugly………maybe 10bu?

No worries of looking like a 60bu swath here. I’ll be happy with half of normal assuming we don’t get anymore hail. Thank goodness for crop insurance again this year. It looked like a disaster at seeding and mid June looked pretty good after a few rains. After getting roasted and burned for the last two months it’s not pretty.

Oh well it should run through the combine quick at least. Always a positive amongst the poo that gets thrown your way occasionally 🍀

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              I tried leaving the tarps open on the truck boxes full of over dry canola in the rain once. All the moisture went right to the bottom made up wet mess stuck to the boxes and I don't think I gained any moisture in the rest of it. But it's not technically adding water though correct?
                              Morris posted this on Agriweek…

The crop will likely shrink some more.:: nice to have a few showers now… bring the moisture up to more reasonable levels…

Happy Canola harvesting!

Comment

Pretty easy answer
                                Zero subsoil and lack of rain at a critical time for too long for 70% of the canola growing area demolished yield potential

Peas absolutely no different
                                Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 16, 2022, 12:21.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.