• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by sides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post
    It was narrow opener with all the groceries put to the side in liquid form.I would post pics but not sharp enough to so. I enjoy all the farm talk on this site and like to share my thoughts.
    What’s your thoughts on the new seed master SR if you have seen it ?
    Basically much the same as what you did several years ago , but it’s a neat compact unit actually

Comment

Has anyone done any side by side trials with canola seed size?

It seems reasonable that the larger seeds can survive being seeded deeper and have the energy to push through obstacles or crusting. Would it make any difference for pests? A lot more seed treatment per seed on a larger size of seed.

Before they switched to selling seed by the unit, I always thought I preferred smaller seed to get more seeds per dollar. But this year seeding into some horrible sod conditions, I was pleased to get enough E size, and it germinated and came up regardless of depth.

Comment

When I went to the 16” machine it went to a two row machine which helped reaching down in gully’s being the unit frame wasn’t as deep. I really believe this new machine will be even better. As far as distance between seed rows I would prefer that spacing over the12” especially in canola which you have probably seen for yourself

Comment

Actually learned a lot by watching what you and Allan were doing for years very close

Understood way more from you guys than any “agronomist or canola council expert”
          Thinking outside the box has been a Pilar for me ever since
          Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 27, 2022, 22:00.

Comment

As farmers we can assume things, (seeding rates, varieties, row spacing,seeding equipment, chemicals). It is performing side by sides that prove the assumptions right or wrong. Looking forward to the results in your trials

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              Has anyone done any side by side trials with canola seed size?.
              You have to be able to get the bigger seed sizes first. I have been requesting them for 3 years straight, always seem to get B size.

They will tell you size doesnt matter but we all know it does.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                You have to be able to get the bigger seed sizes first. I have been requesting them for 3 years straight, always seem to get B size.

They will tell you size doesnt matter but we all know it does.
                There was a thread about seed size earlier this spring and a reference to a study on seed size

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  There was a thread about seed size earlier this spring and a reference to a study on seed size
                  I remember seeing someone posting they did some trials or was it a Sask equipment manufacturer were doing these trials on their farm and bigger seeds always did better

Comment

Corn 🌽 plots , 14 varieties there. 7 early and 7 mid to late maturity.

Soybeans, just 2 early varieties
                    Going to need a miracle to be knee high by 4th of July! Corn and Soy are warm blooded crops... cool Augusts... just like growing Lentils... make maturing these crops with mature decent yields... a 1 year in 5 proposition... unless you believe in global warming... which fails to materialize in last half August/September much too often...[3 out of 5 years].

Comment

Outside of last summer I swear we are getting colder. Can remember as a young kid it so hot especially the fall we’d be harvesting and it was bloody hot at night. Haven’t seen that for years it seems.

Comment

New clearfield wheat , CDC Pilar we put on clearfield canola stubble .. was worried about ares carryover

Sprayed with Pixxaro and generic horizon.
                        Did you cut the roots off?
                        Piss poor root shoot ratio don't you think? What if mother nature turns the taps off

Comment

Just pulled from surface

Anything we dug out is just fine

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                            Outside of last summer I swear we are getting colder. Can remember as a young kid it so hot especially the fall we’d be harvesting and it was bloody hot at night. Haven’t seen that for years it seems.
                            Agreed , last summer was definitely an outlier in the past 5-6 years .

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                              Did you cut the roots off?
                              Piss poor root shoot ratio don't you think? What if mother nature turns the taps off
                              In fact , the soil amendment we are using now is making a huge difference in our clay soils ..

Building carbon without the Gabe Brown system….

Comment

First year of soil treatment , only one shot so far

Two years of Crop Aid Plus soil amendment

By the way this product was developed in Australia
                                Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 2, 2022, 07:19.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.