• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by sides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    So this is the problem I have every year. Cannot be guaranteed seed size, just take whatever they give.

Maybe the BTOs get the good stuff and small frys like me get whatever's left over. Who knows.

I was just contemplating this morning phoning my reps to see if any size D was returned and in the shed and just taking that for next year. A year old Size D probably has the same vigour as those smaller sizes.
    It’s not solely seed size when you open a bag and it’s dry , lots of cracks and dusty

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      It’s not solely seed size when you open a bag and it’s dry , lots of cracks and dusty
      Was sold old seed once that was just like that and did poorly.

Comment

I just sprayed all my canola over the last couple of days. All looks crappy except in the tire tracks. Mostly a drill depth issue I suspect. Only stuff that looks good is one bag of a new variety, treated with Buteo. And I sprayed every acre with Matador. There are some real wrecks around here due to insects. I'm thinking Buteo for every bag next year. Saw the same thing last year. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Farming...ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
          I just sprayed all my canola over the last couple of days. All looks crappy except in the tire tracks. Mostly a drill depth issue I suspect. Only stuff that looks good is one bag of a new variety, treated with Buteo. And I sprayed every acre with Matador. There are some real wrecks around here due to insects. I'm thinking Buteo for every bag next year. Saw the same thing last year. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Farming...ugh.
          Yes Buteo seems to have pulled through the stresses fairly well in this area too

Comment

Basf is the worst around here by a country mile

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              Basf is the worst around here by a country mile
              Only reason we seed invigor is mostly for the pod shatter trait. They seem to be better than other varieties at that, but I havent done any testing either. Maybe the other varieties have caught up.

My rep was talking some Canterra 4000 variety has better seed size and vigour.
              Last edited by jazz; Jun 22, 2022, 19:13.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Only reason we seed invigor is mostly for the pod shatter trait. They seem to be better than other varieties at that, but I havent done any testing either. Maybe the other varieties have caught up.

My rep was talking some Canterra 4000 variety has better seed size and vigour.
                Yes caught up and passed it. Dekalb very good. PLUS the roundup kills, NOT JUST burns tops off.
                No reason for Invigor at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                  Yes caught up and passed it. Dekalb very good. PLUS the roundup kills, NOT JUST burns tops off.
                  No reason for Invigor at all.
                  There are a couple reasons I like Liberty Link canola.

While no doubt Liberty is a desiccant but it does reduce my use of glyphosate.

You can spray LL canola with glyphosate and straight cut it.

If those years that are dry early with late rains and you get volunteer canola in your wheat you can do a glyphosate pre-harvest and you don’t have green canola in your wheat.

In the past I had green seed issues with Dekalb varieties, never had that issue with Liberty link.

I do think RR varieties have closed the yield gap though.

Comment

I have learned most from simply doing , and sharing info with other farmers . Still learn more everyday and pass on as much as I can to the next generation now my nephew. None of this is taught in ag school or from a book . Simply boots on the ground and watching and listening what others do right and wrong .
                    Every year has its challenges. We were sitting good last year about this time then the taps turned off completely. Mother Nature still rules the roost
                    Furrow do you think there will be a yield drag with 15 inch spacing on cereal crops? I do think the new seedmaster would be a fantastic canola drill but do you think there is an advantage over the traditional 12 inch seedmaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      Furrow do you think there will be a yield drag with 15 inch spacing on cereal crops? I do think the new seedmaster would be a fantastic canola drill but do you think there is an advantage over the traditional 12 inch seedmaster?
                      Yup absolutely too wide in my opinion. But it was here , they wanted to try it and we were willing on 40 ac .
                      But here is the kicker , Dutch is working on a paired row tip for that SR drill . So then in a year or two it may well be feasible.
                      Could not pass up the opportunity to try on both wheat and canola.
                      You never stop learning or passing on info , when you do it’s time to call RB

Or if you live in a fantasy land were you average 50 bus canola, never have frost issues , never have flea beetles, farming is easy and you live in a very closed world .
                      But that’s not a reality for 80 to 90 % of Western Canada

Plus for many reasons, we wanted to try side by side with Horsch planter
                      It was a 2 for 1 deal so we made time
                      Curiosity more than anything
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 22, 2022, 22:43.

Comment

Furrow, you're the only guy on here posting trials. My hats off to you. Keep the information coming, us small time guys really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

Yup absolutely too wide in my opinion. But it was here , they wanted to try it and we were willing on 40 ac .
                          But here is the kicker , Dutch is working on a paired row tip for that SR drill . So then in a year or two it may well be feasible.
                          Could not pass up the opportunity to try on both wheat and canola.
                          You never stop learning or passing on info , when you do it’s time to call RB

Or if you live in a fantasy land were you average 50 bus canola, never have frost issues , never have flea beetles, farming is easy and you live in a very closed world .
                          But that’s not a reality for 80 to 90 % of Western Canada

Plus for many reasons, we wanted to try side by side with Horsch planter
                          It was a 2 for 1 deal so we made time
                          Curiosity more than anything
                          The one advantage of the Seedmaster would be being able to apply all the fertilizer and seed in one pass. The Horsch requires a separate pass for the majority of the fertilizer, correct?
                          As I said I do think the new seedmaster is an interesting machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                            The one advantage of the Seedmaster would be being able to apply all the fertilizer and seed in one pass. The Horsch requires a separate pass for the majority of the fertilizer, correct?
                            As I said I do think the new seedmaster is an interesting machine.
                            Yes that is a big disadvantage on the Horsch and a huge plus for the SM

Comment

...Or if you live in a fantasy land were you average 50 bus canola, never have frost issues , never have flea beetles, farming is easy and you live in a very closed world .
                              But that’s not a reality for 80 to 90 % of Western Canada...
                              Always on my mind! LMAO!
                              Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jun 23, 2022, 07:21.

Comment

Corn 🌽 plots , 14 varieties there. 7 early and 7 mid to late maturity.

Soybeans, just 2 early varieties

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.