• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Cows are too good at their job....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    That’s awesome that you do a calendar as well.

I try not to use the photos I take on my phone. Camera is just better quality and gives me more editing control. But sometimes the right place at the right time only has the phone handy and not the camera.

PhotoShop has upped my calendar game quite a bit.
    Some cheating okay ... situational ethics!?!

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
      Some cheating okay ... situational ethics!?!
      Hah yes, that’s it.

Or content vs quality.

Phone can take good photos but it rarely lets me have the level of editing that a camera photo does.

Comment

Here's an example of what the editing can do. Mediocre, unattractive, nothing to write home about photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4520.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	770469

To this.

Name:	Bullcephous.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	770470

And I really don't know the possibilities of editing. I stick to a handful of things. For example, I couldn't manage to edit the thistles out Lol

Comment

Here's an example of what the editing can do. Mediocre, unattractive, nothing to write home about photo.

[ATTACH]7143[/ATTACH]

To this.

[ATTACH]7144[/ATTACH]

And I really don't know the possibilities of editing. I stick to a handful of things. For example, I couldn't manage to edit the thistles out Lol
          Ummm is that false advertising? I see you took the leaning fence posts and saggy wire out but he could have used some horn augmentation and a splash of white to brighten his face and brisket. Maybe even a new Allflex for his ear and a shiny nose ring too. I mean if this is for his Tinder profile ya better go all out. Gotta lure the girls in somehow 😎

I prefer au naturel with our pics. 😉

Comment

He’s a Hereford. Nothing can help him.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Ummm is that false advertising? I see you took the leaning fence posts and saggy wire out but he could have used some horn augmentation and a splash of white to brighten his face and brisket. Maybe even a new Allflex for his ear and a shiny nose ring too. I mean if this is for his Tinder profile ya better go all out. Gotta lure the girls in somehow 😎

I prefer au naturel with our pics. 😉
              The first photo seems to me more brutal, although good advertising requires "advertising photos" so that they are juicy and bright. And here you can't do without processing. Just like catching the perfect light, no matter what camera you use, you will need retouching.

Comment

Cameras can’t see like eyes can so a photo will always require some tweaking just to get it close to what it really looked like. Also if your rental pasture has crappy sheep fence everywhere it helps remove it 😂

I’d rather do some post processing on sharpening and colour than brush an animal out and sculpt it’s hair to give it form and make it stand goofy to try and make it look better. Sales photos are like the 90s mullet pose.

I also edited out a very shitty ass on the one cow. Not everyone needs to know she’s hygenically challenged.

Comment

Cameras can’t see like eyes can so a photo will always require some tweaking just to get it close to what it really looked like. Also if your rental pasture has crappy sheep fence everywhere it helps remove it 😂

I’d rather do some post processing on sharpening and colour than brush an animal out and sculpt it’s hair to give it form and make it stand goofy to try and make it look better. Sales photos are like the 90s mullet pose.

I also edited out a very shitty ass on the one cow. Not everyone needs to know she’s hygenically challenged.
                  Severe color distortion is often caused by a poor quality camera. Bad matrix or lenses - that's a distorted image. Although you're right, even the most natural color scheme sometimes needs correction. Especially if the cow is a bit shitty
                  Last edited by Challenger007; Dec 14, 2020, 10:20.

Comment

Had a surprise calf today, from my pet cow that's not supposed to be able to have calves... Was speaking to the vet about her yesterday as I expected it to be another C section. Instead she had it on the trailer on the way to the vet.

Oh well.

Name:	IMG_7693.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	770533

Comment

Had a surprise calf today, from my pet cow that's not supposed to be able to have calves... Was speaking to the vet about her yesterday as I expected it to be another C section. Instead she had it on the trailer on the way to the vet.

Oh well.

[ATTACH]7226[/ATTACH]
                      Congratulations on your addition. The calf is adorable. Why shouldn't a cow have calves? Did she have any health problems or did you have other plans for her?

Comment

Oh well.

[ATTACH]7226[/ATTACH]
                        A pet that pays for it’s own kibble................. the best kind. Is this the first or last calf of calving season?😉

Comment

Originally posted by Challenger007 View Post
                          Congratulations on your addition. The calf is adorable. Why shouldn't a cow have calves? Did she have any health problems or did you have other plans for her?
                          Through a round about story with a bull that threw monster calves, she was induced for a c section on her first calf and the vet said her pelvis wasn’t open enough for her to ever have a calf. So I’ve never let her carry to term.

Of course, in the way of the world, the vet yesterday says her pelvis is fine and she shouldn’t have an issue having a regular sized calf.

Stella is just my pet. She’s halter broke, you can “ride” her, she’s got a 3 pad collar and will pull the calf sled around. She’s great at helping lead the herd places or sticking her in with weaned calves as a calming influence.

Comment

Sometimes trying to sell things online just produces the most enjoyable "WTF" moments.

Last month I was kindly offered $500 each for my weanlings, cash. Wow, what an offer. Sadly that guy didn't respond to my simple answer of "No" to get a lecture about the current market price of calves this size.

Last night I was asked what the heifers were crossed with as I just have everyone advertised as "Hereford cross" since the cows are all a mix mash. The one cow is from the feedlot so she's really a guess but she's high percentage of Limo based on her looks so I just say Limo. His reply was "Sorry, I'm looking for larger commercial breeds"....

Ok yeah, Sims and Chars can be a little bigger than Lims but they're hardly lightweights. And when it comes to saying the calf is half Limo I expect a variety of reasons for not wanting it but never have I thought being too small would be one Lol The cow doesn't break the scale for Limo's but she's easily in the 700kg range.

Name:	260D4F2D-AF74-4C0E-8277-1832CD43AB4A.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	770632

Reminds me of the year I rented a Short Horn bull and was told 'Sorry, I don't want horned calves.'...
                            No.... they.... nvm....

Comment

Sometimes trying to sell things online just produces the most enjoyable "WTF" moments.

Last month I was kindly offered $500 each for my weanlings, cash. Wow, what an offer. Sadly that guy didn't respond to my simple answer of "No" to get a lecture about the current market price of calves this size.

Last night I was asked what the heifers were crossed with as I just have everyone advertised as "Hereford cross" since the cows are all a mix mash. The one cow is from the feedlot so she's really a guess but she's high percentage of Limo based on her looks so I just say Limo. His reply was "Sorry, I'm looking for larger commercial breeds"....

Ok yeah, Sims and Chars can be a little bigger than Lims but they're hardly lightweights. And when it comes to saying the calf is half Limo I expect a variety of reasons for not wanting it but never have I thought being too small would be one Lol The cow doesn't break the scale for Limo's but she's easily in the 700kg range.

[ATTACH]7360[/ATTACH]

Reminds me of the year I rented a Short Horn bull and was told 'Sorry, I don't want horned calves.'...
                              No.... they.... nvm....
                              Well a longhorn generally has “long horns” so I guess it only makes sense what a shorthorn should have...............😉

Although your limo cross should maybe be called a medium horn? Possibly........

Just buggin ya

I despise horns. One perk of our good ole Angus critters.

Comment

I don’t mind horns. Although it would be nicer if the whole herd was horned, some of the polled girls are at a bit of a disadvantage.

That said, Stella is the herd matriarch despite being polled and 600lbs lighter than the Limo. She’s a year older and they grew up together and Stella just refuses to not be boss. Even if she loses a fight, in her mind she still wins. Very rarely is there even a fight. Odd how herd hierarchy can work. There’s no question, even though the two of them spend the entire winter not with the dairy girls, that they are the bosses.

I’ve read some papers on the balance horns give the animals (maybe it was biodynamic but for some reason I’m thinking no?). Kind of like reiki in people, if you dehorn an animal it upsets their chakras. It’s been a while but I think it was regarding milk production and how animals that kept their horns were more productive than their de horned counterparts? Something along those lines. Irrelevant in regards to polled breeds since they haven’t lost anything they had to begin with, but an interesting concept none the less. We know horns play a role in heating and cooling in large horned breeds, what else could they be doing. Lots of times I’ve heard the analogy of being dehorned like losing a finger. Well if I lost a finger I’d be a bit out of whack. I’ll see if I can find what I read again. Maybe it’s lost it’s shine over the years and sounds better in my memory!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.