• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar power is shit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar power is shit

time to fire some people

I think they should have went with wind. Lol
    At least this spring.

Cheap natural gas was probably the main reason.

Comment

What a waste!

Also now apparently LED blue light spectrum is wrecking the retina if eyes, especially the eyes of young uns. Holy Crow, didn’t I just spend the last six months changing over? Oh, man this smelling every fart is getting tiring. Now good light-bad light, and pretty soon no light because the enviro - wackos will deny us that right too.

Comment

We have a guy with straight pipes and bright lights on at all times...I get being scared of the dark but scared of the daylight is a very rare disease...****ing lights are annoying in the middle of the day...thats why most daytime running lights are dimmer...

Comment

Its is a solar thermal plant not a solar photo voltaic (PV). Solar thermal plants work much better in hotter drier climates.

Solar PV on the other hand are much cheaper systems and can produce lots of electricity right here and now, even in our northern winters. That is why so many systems are getting installed on farms across the prairies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is a concentrated solar thermal plant in the Mojave Desert. It is located at the base of Clark Mountain in California, across the state line from Primm, Nevada. The plant has a gross capacity of 392 megawatts (MW).[6] It deploys 173,500 heliostats, each with two mirrors focusing solar energy on boilers located on three centralized solar power towers.[6] The first unit of the system was connected to the electrical grid in September 2013 for an initial synchronisation test.[7] The facility formally opened on February 13, 2014.[2] In 2014, it was the world's largest solar thermal power station.[8][9]

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            Its is a solar thermal plant not a solar photo voltaic (PV). Solar thermal plants work much better in hotter drier climates.

Solar PV on the other hand are much cheaper systems and can produce lots of electricity right here and now, even in our northern winters. That is why so many systems are getting installed on farms across the prairies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is a concentrated solar thermal plant in the Mojave Desert. It is located at the base of Clark Mountain in California, across the state line from Primm, Nevada. The plant has a gross capacity of 392 megawatts (MW).[6] It deploys 173,500 heliostats, each with two mirrors focusing solar energy on boilers located on three centralized solar power towers.[6] The first unit of the system was connected to the electrical grid in September 2013 for an initial synchronisation test.[7] The facility formally opened on February 13, 2014.[2] In 2014, it was the world's largest solar thermal power station.[8][9]

I’ll believe you when you tell me that yoursgenerates all your power. 😤

Comment

Bullshit chuck I have solar thermal, its nearly double the efficiency of photovoltaic.

Comment

Are these the “green jobs” that Trudeau, Suzuki, Gore and others have been promoting?

What a waste of taxpayers money.

Comment

Waste of time money and air space

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                    Bullshit chuck I have solar thermal, its nearly double the efficiency of photovoltaic.
                    Oh , oh ,caught him spewing shit again

Comment

I never realized how dirty and inefficient solar panels are? they have a finite life, with diminishing capacity overtime. Plus their fabrication is toxic to the environment, and when they eventual stop producing electricity in 20 years they are thrown into landfills where they will leach toxic elements for years. Even California allows this shit to be dumped into landfills.

They're just as bad for the environment as the high capacity batteries required in electric vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                        I never realized how dirty and inefficient solar panels are? they have a finite life, with diminishing capacity overtime. Plus their fabrication is toxic to the environment, and when they eventual stop producing electricity in 20 years they are thrown into landfills where they will leach toxic elements for years. Even California allows this shit to be dumped into landfills.

They're just as bad for the environment as the high capacity batteries required in electric vehicles.
                        Not relevant mb, not relevant at all
                        Im sure our expert on here has some “scientific info” that says they compost into rich fertile top soil
                        Same kinda info that says quebec and BC’s shit is good for the whales
                        The whole thing is so fn stupid its not even funny

Comment

You can’t make this shit up....Medicine Hat pulls plug on money losing 13 million solar power project.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post

I conveniently was just at a solar workshop...

Good modules decline by 80-85% after 20 years. They aren’t done at that point.

They’re capable of paying off their carbon footprint in 4-6 years.

Here’s a fact I found particularly interesting...

NASA is the original driver behind solar power and particularly PV modules. They use it to power satellites as, obviously, there’s no other power source out in space. The satellites they launched in the 60s right at the beginning still have functioning modules. Which puts paid to the idea they’re done after 20 years. Although it would be interesting to know how often people have landed on the satellites to perform maintenance and repairs but considering the cost and time required to do that I’m going to assume not that much. If baby solar technology from the 60s can still be going 50 years later then the more advanced modules available now can definitely manage that. No matter what solar hating article you might read saying solar has a poor lifespan, functioning 50 year old satellites say otherwise.

Also the solar pioneer in Alberta (maybe even Canada?) put his panels up in 1995 and they’re still going strong.

Not that that means solar doesn’t have its negative aspects, but what doesn’t.

Comment

Blaiten I have no problem you using solar just spend your own money on it.Tell you a little story Blaithin I spent my own money on putting solar water systems twenty years ago in dugouts.Long story short I found the up keep when running miles and miles made it a very expensive trial and error.Good luck to you though on your venture.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.