• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with our peas?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had similar event a few years ago in no till field. The previous years depression in tracks caused a segment of the next years drill to go 1 inch deaper and did the same thing was it dry originally?

Comment

It was very wet first field we seeded was seeded April 29- May 3
      Had a bit of rain between seeding the field and 30+ inches of rain in 2016

Comment

If it was good on lentil stubble and not cereal stubble i wonder if you don't have nitrogen immobilization in chaff rows behind combine. This will fix itself once the nodules kick in which seems to be happening right now on my peas. And once microbes run out of stubble to eat, they die and release the N back into soil and problem solved from either standpoint. But, this issue should really be on older pea leaves as mentioned above.

Saying that, all our peas are on lentil stubble this year so our fields are not really comparable. We used to N on our peas, only P.

I am seeing some of this stripping on herbicide overlap and on headlands

Comment

Nodules green plant

Comment

Nodules on yellow plant

Comment

Taking another look 👀 now it looks like the peas are yellow where there is lots of straw like Dave said

Comment

Originally posted by Jagfarms View Post
                Taking another look 👀 now it looks like the peas are yellow where there is lots of straw like Dave said
                Same issue with soybeans, too much straw left behind the combine. You can clearly see where last years windrows were. I always heavy harrow cereal straw to avoid this.

Comment

I would say Dave is right . Here the more stubble the more the yellowing as well.
                  At least your roots are healthy . I doubt you will see issues in a weeks time

Comment

Let er go , let er grow.
                    Adding anything to that situation would be a waste of money . Root system is healthy thats key .

Comment

Got a Brix meter today and have been trying it out a bit.

Getting a Brix reading of 10 in healthier looking Peas and 7 in the pea plants that are yellow.

Checked out some durum and getting readings of 10-12.

Any one have much experience with a Brix meter?

I have read Brix readings 12+ is what you want

Comment

Absolutely great thing to have .
                        12 plus is perfect .
                        If the whole field was 7 ish , 2 litres of alpine would kick er up. But your field should correct itself as Dave said.

Comment

What is the idea behind a brix meter? Tells you the sugar content of the plant?

Comment

My peas look like that also in wetter clay areas of field. Yellow tops of plants suggests sulphur deficiency. Perhaps try some foliar S.

Comment

I am no expert on Brix testing but here is some info I found on line.

Brix testing involves using a hand-held device called a refractor to make a visual reading on the sugar content of plant material. The test actually refers to the total amount of soluble solids, that is, sugars along with plant proteins, vitamins, and minerals.

A Brix reading lower than 10 tells the farmer that the plant lacks nutrients. The desirable reading is 13, which indicates a robust and nutrient-rich plant. To measure the Brix a refractometer is necessary as well as a method of extracting the juice from the plant.

The optical refractometer uses daylight passed through a glass prism to measure Brix. The reading is read through an eyepiece, and the user measures the refracted light angle on an optical scale. 

To obtain juice/sap samples some people use garlic presses.

Comment

Dave
                                What kind of Peas do you have in this year?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.