• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duals on combine?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duals on combine?

Not having any fun trying to swath our lodged green barley in mud on hills and tried combining the other day and kept spinning out on the hills and sinking in the low areas. It’s a 670 Challenger and has 30.5x32 tires and we’re looking to put a 20.8R38 besides it. Both rims have a standard 10 bolt pattern and we’re looking a putting a “spool” in between to bolt them together.

Question is has anyone done this and how did they like it .......... also how much space to run between the tires ??

Random thoughts as it’s raining again tonight and the four letter “S” word is forecast for next week.
    TIA

Assuming your dirt isn't much better than our grey wooded clay when it gets wet? Sticky, thick, turns dual wheels into giant balls of mud, get stuck 2" deep?

If so, there can't be too much space between the duals. They need to act as separate tires, with no chance of filling up with mud. People ask me why I set up one of our MFWD's for row crop, since I cut apart the rims and moved the dishes out so there is over a foot between the duals.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      Assuming your dirt isn't much better than our grey wooded clay when it gets wet? Sticky, thick, turns dual wheels into giant balls of mud, get stuck 2" deep?

If so, there can't be too much space between the duals. They need to act as separate tires, with no chance of filling up with mud. People ask me why I set up one of our MFWD's for row crop, since I cut apart the rims and moved the dishes out so there is over a foot between the duals.
      Yes we found 16 inch spacers worked good in our clay soil.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
        Yes we found 16 inch spacers worked good in our clay soil.
        Is that a 16 inch gap between the tires or the spool is that length? We have a 5 inch gap on our 4440 duals and usually that works ok unless it’s extremely ugly going.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          Is that a 16 inch gap between the tires or the spool is that length? We have a 5 inch gap on our 4440 duals and usually that works ok unless it’s extremely ugly going.
          We didn’t have a spool we had machine shop make a 16 inch wide spacer that fit in the outside lip of both tires. Then had holes made and used threaded rod. That was a long time ago but was cheapest and we couldn’t find any spools since everyone was looking for the same thing almost province wide.

Our combines today have the regular John Deere Mounted hubs I think tires have about a foot space between rubber.

Comment

5” would be bare mininum, i dont think its enough
            Friend has an S deere and it had 650’s instead of 520’s with same spacers as the 520’s would use
            It was useless until he put wider spacers on then it was good
            Another manufacturer **** up that the farmer had to pay to fix

Comment

Found some used spools at a wrecker so mom is off to pick them up with a set of new tires from Edmonton for the dual rims. Just wish the nearest wrecker wasn’t a six hour round trip. Hopefully can rig it up quickly and painlessly .......... and that it helps too😉

Comment

Sadly if she's off to Irma, it won't be cheap

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Sadly if she's off to Irma, it won't be cheap
                  Nailed it😉

Comment

We have a 670 with18.4x42 duals. 10 in space. Only way except tracks.

Comment

why are there so few track unit combines in w. canada? lots in the us midwest and e. canada. i'd never go back to tires.

Comment

Checked our 8120 its 10” between , works good

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                          why are there so few track unit combines in w. canada? lots in the us midwest and e. canada. i'd never go back to tires.
                          Um, guessing price.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                            Um, guessing price.....
                            lots of tracked tractors around here, and grain carts on tracks but combines on duals? Class 9 machines with 40-45' headers getting a little heavy for tires?

Comment

I upgraded combines this year, and kept a promise i made in fall of 16/spring 17 while making ruts everywhere and wasting time being stuck; next combine is going to be on tracks. And they are rare as hens teeth in Western Canada. All the units I found ( well used) originated in Ontario or the US.

Hoping to never actually NEED the tracks and RWD now that we have it, but with compaction being my biggest enemy at the best of times, really looking forward to it.

Although it has rained nearly every day since May, we aren't nearly as wet as Woodland and that area is. Get just enough rain to keep from ever getting hay dry, but not enough to saturate the ground since June.

Doesn't seem to be much premium for well used track machines.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.