• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed Survey... Have your opinion recorded at 'seedroyaltysurvey.com'

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Survey... Have your opinion recorded at 'seedroyaltysurvey.com'

Hi Folks,

Please take a few minutes and do this Seed Survey at; seedroyaltysurvey.com

For Your information: Seed Royalty Survey Update

I am alerting you to the survey at seedroyaltysurvey.com; Please take time when you have a few minutes to share your thoughts on the proposed changes to the seed royalty structure here in western Canada.

A closing date for the survey has now been set for October 15th, 2019. We ask that if there are producers you know who will be impacted by these changes who haven't yet taken the survey, please encourage them to do so before then. It is important that we hear from as many producers as possible.

Thank you in advance for your time and participation, and best wishes for a safe and bountiful harvest.

Survey being done by; Alberta Federation of Agriculture, APAS, and KAP and was announced Sept 8th 2019. Feel free to contact your provincial organization if you need more information.
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Sep 7, 2019, 09:07.

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Hi Folks,

Please take a few minutes and do this Seed Survey at; seedroyaltysurvey.com

For Your information: Seed Royalty Survey Update

I am alerting you to the survey at seedroyaltysurvey.com; Please take time when you have a few minutes to share your thoughts on the proposed changes to the seed royalty structure here in western Canada.

A closing date for the survey has now been set for October 15th, 2019. We ask that if there are producers you know who will be impacted by these changes who haven't yet taken the survey, please encourage them to do so before then. It is important that we hear from as many producers as possible.

Thank you in advance for your time and participation, and best wishes for a safe and bountiful harvest.

Survey being done by; Alberta Federation of Agriculture, APAS, and KAP and was announced Sept 8th 2019. Feel free to contact your provincial organization if you need more information.
    I just did the 'Survey' on my laptop as the dropdown boxes would not work on my smartphone... and I alerted them to this;

This on the Survey Website...

"Welcome to the Producer Survey on Seed Royalties
    This survey is hosted by the Alberta Federation of Agriculture (AFA), the Agricultural Producers Association of Saskatchewan (APAS) and the Keystone Agricultural Producers (KAP) of Manitoba.

Recent proposals on seed royalties have generated a great deal of interest and discussion amongst Western Canadian farmers. Last winter, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency launched consultations on the future of crop breeding in Canada. A series of public meetings were held across Canada where federal officials sought feedback on new models to collect royalties on saved seed. An online phase of the consultations is expected later this year.

The purpose of this Producer Survey is to gather feedback directly from farmers, to gauge awareness of the proposals and seek your initial viewpoints. We want to keep the discussion going on seed royalties to help shape our input into the next round of consultations.

We want to hear directly from producers on this important issue. Space is provided under each question for respondents to submit written comments and suggestions. There is an opportunity at the end of the survey to enter your contact information to win a prize and receive updates on the consultations and how our organizations are responding on behalf of members."

Comment

I just did the 'Survey' on my laptop as the dropdown boxes would not work on my smartphone... and I alerted them to this;

This on the Survey Website...

"Welcome to the Producer Survey on Seed Royalties
      This survey is hosted by the Alberta Federation of Agriculture (AFA), the Agricultural Producers Association of Saskatchewan (APAS) and the Keystone Agricultural Producers (KAP) of Manitoba.

Recent proposals on seed royalties have generated a great deal of interest and discussion amongst Western Canadian farmers. Last winter, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency launched consultations on the future of crop breeding in Canada. A series of public meetings were held across Canada where federal officials sought feedback on new models to collect royalties on saved seed. An online phase of the consultations is expected later this year.

The purpose of this Producer Survey is to gather feedback directly from farmers, to gauge awareness of the proposals and seek your initial viewpoints. We want to keep the discussion going on seed royalties to help shape our input into the next round of consultations.

We want to hear directly from producers on this important issue. Space is provided under each question for respondents to submit written comments and suggestions. There is an opportunity at the end of the survey to enter your contact information to win a prize and receive updates on the consultations and how our organizations are responding on behalf of members."
      Hopefully there is lots of space for comments

Comment

I took it and told them it’s a ducking joke.

It makes seed companies welfare bums.

It makes for a inefficient system that rewards losers and screws farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
          I took it and told them it’s a ducking joke.

It makes seed companies welfare bums.

It makes for a inefficient system that rewards losers and screws farmers.
          This ABOVE Survey is NOT being done by the Multinationals or Seed Trade Association... but by farm organizations who are honestly asking for your ideas. It deserves time to share what exactly you think.

At the CSTA/CSGA AGM in July... a number of Alberta Seed growers let the powers that be... know;

Amongst many other blunders...To call this exercise called 'Value Creation' was a really BAD communication fumble.... that made many many actual western Canadian grain growers [and some Seed Growers] very angry...

As it sure: looks like, tastes like, feels like, and smells like; an overall tax increase and power grab to many many people. We Alberta folks who spoke this way at the national meetings this summer... for exposing 'Value Creation'.... for the total communications failure it has/had become... were shunned...

However

The lack consideration of a grain farmers common sense based intelligence...[ie] this "Seed" 'Value Creation' communication 'campaign' deserves the 'Darwin Award' of the decade; for the most likely to fail category... for a Seriously flawed and really insensitive communication campaign...whoever came up with this... needs some major 'sensitivity training'...

Comment

This ABOVE Survey is NOT being done by the Multinationals or Seed Trade Association... but by farm organizations who are honestly asking for your ideas. It deserves time to share what exactly you think.

At the CSTA/CSGA AGM in July... a number of Alberta Seed growers let the powers that be... know;

Amongst many other blunders...To call this exercise called 'Value Creation' was a really BAD communication fumble.... that made many many actual western Canadian grain growers [and some Seed Growers] very angry...

As it sure: looks like, tastes like, feels like, and smells like; an overall tax increase and power grab to many many people. We Alberta folks who spoke this way at the national meetings this summer... for exposing 'Value Creation'.... for the total communications failure it has/had become... were shunned...

However

The lack consideration of a grain farmers common sense based intelligence...[ie] this "Seed" 'Value Creation' communication 'campaign' deserves the 'Darwin Award' of the decade; for the most likely to fail category... for a Seriously flawed and really insensitive communication campaign...whoever came up with this... needs some major 'sensitivity training'...
            Good to hear Tom. But it still is what it is , more cost to producers when net returns are going to be horrible on average until or if we get our markets back . Getting 1970’s prices for our crops and limited market access due to our political nightmare..... you guys need to back off on this seed tax for a few years or the backlash will be much stronger than you think

Comment

So what do new varieties offer? Higher yields? Better quality traits? If that's what then this approach on producers paying seed royalties is wrong.

Higher yields will be benefit farmers yes, but elevator and grain companies will then handle more which equals more revenue. Railways will have more to haul equals more revenue. Taking this further, higher yields mean more commodity which as we see means lower prices so a plus for end users.

Higher quality a boon to the end user.

So then a seed royalty (tax) that is only paid by producers is WRONG because other members along the value chain benefit, possibly more than the producer.

The moral hazard is that those further up the value chain would just pass their costs down to the farmer.

The concept of taxing farm saved seed is even more ludicrous as a royalty on pure seed is one thing, but even one generation removed from certified cannot be considered pure enough for someone else to garner a royalty from. I purchased, then grew. Progeny is now MINE. For you, Tom Jackson to fail to protect my property rights here is very hypocritical as you fought for property rights selling wheat during the Wheat Board Wars.

Comment

Unless you're living in a third world country, supply isn't an issue. We are over producing for demand. And Tommy boy, if you haven't figured out yet that you won't be getting a slice of the royalty, you are in for a rude surprise. In '89 the seed industry wanted a bigger slice, every time commodity prices get pushed under cost of production the industry looks for regulation to prevent having to eat a bullet. Im ok with less research. We always over produce eventually. The industry is relying on demand coming back. It doesn't have to. Vietnam just culled 5 million hogs due to the flu. If this virus mutates and start taking out people, we are ***rd. Attached is the price of soybeans in Argentina pesos, they'll plant every possible corner of the country in beans.

Comment

So are you changing sides again Tom? like you did on the CWB, the Alberta Land Bills, the Wildrose? It's unclear from your comments if you have or if you're keeping a foot in both camps until you see which side is likely to win out again.
                  I'll fill it in but the survey is much ado about nothing - 3 organizations that have sat back and done nothing on this issue for over a decade suddenly deciding it's maybe worth asking their members what their opinions are - at some point in the future I guess they might decide to formulate policy based on this input. A lot of days late and a lot of dollars short.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                    So what do new varieties offer? Higher yields? Better quality traits? If that's what then this approach on producers paying seed royalties is wrong.

Higher yields will be benefit farmers yes, but elevator and grain companies will then handle more which equals more revenue. Railways will have more to haul equals more revenue. Taking this further, higher yields mean more commodity which as we see means lower prices so a plus for end users.

Higher quality a boon to the end user.

So then a seed royalty (tax) that is only paid by producers is WRONG because other members along the value chain benefit, possibly more than the producer.

The moral hazard is that those further up the value chain would just pass their costs down to the farmer.

The concept of taxing farm saved seed is even more ludicrous as a royalty on pure seed is one thing, but even one generation removed from certified cannot be considered pure enough for someone else to garner a royalty from. I purchased, then grew. Progeny is now MINE. For you, Tom Jackson to fail to protect my property rights here is very hypocritical as you fought for property rights selling wheat during the Wheat Board Wars.
                    Braveheart, the betrayal and deregistration of seed varieties/grower rights to farm saved seed has been articulated in detail... Progeny is yours until some contract cancels our right of ownership...I was astounded when UPOV 78 PBR pea seed was confiscated in my bin... and was told after growing it... to liquidate it as grain... or pay $1.50/bu if used as seed...on my own farm.... astounding result I never thought possible...So I am high on the 'wall of shame' for fighting for our property seed rights... to not fight against confiscation... would be hypocritical...some things don't change...I get in deep .... for standing on principal.

Comment

Tom, I am stating my side.

This seed tax is all about making seed companies corporate welfare bums.

Get a check for nothing each year from stupid farmers on every load.

its is a total crock of shit.

Welfare for dummies.

Comment

Who is buying Canadian grains....

are the railways capable of handling more ...

And will returns to producers be higher....

We have lost markets

Railways still have a long way to go

And prices to producers are in the 70s

But railway charges have been indexed all along as has everything else....

Now the seed companies want indexing to make money like the railways. ...

Grow more make less

We lose on every bushel but make it up on volume

Tom was sent out to feel the crowd on this issue ..the masters wanted to find out if they have forgot about it yet...
                        Last edited by bucket; Sep 8, 2019, 06:35.

Comment

....fish in a barrel.

Maybe the SeedCos should take their model to Russia or the Ukraine, or some other corrupt lawless country.
                          Then we can grow the stuff developed in those counties royalty free.
                          Setting up laws to "protect profits" of SeedCos....thats all this is about.

Comment

Braveheart, the betrayal and deregistration of seed varieties/grower rights to farm saved seed has been articulated in detail... Progeny is yours until some contract cancels our right of ownership...I was astounded when UPOV 78 PBR pea seed was confiscated in my bin... and was told after growing it... to liquidate it as grain... or pay $1.50/bu if used as seed...on my own farm.... astounding result I never thought possible...So I am high on the 'wall of shame' for fighting for our property seed rights... to not fight against confiscation... would be hypocritical...some things don't change...I get in deep .... for standing on principal.
                            So does that mean you have changed sides? Only a few months ago you were courageously telling all the doubters on here that a seed tax was legitimate, justifiable and necessary.

Comment

Like the Sask Ag and Food moron who compared this to buying a new truck. You get all the improvements and new bells and whistles with the new compared to the old one. But GM, Ford or Dodge doesn't charge me a yearly fee to drive it once I bought it.....and this is a university educated person representing Agriculture...."book smart practically stupid"!!!!! And being paid with taxpayer dollars!!!!

Also, how many ways are Primary Producers already contributing to breeding?
                              -Commodity groups through check offs
                              -Paying Royalties on Certified seed
                              -Through the WGRF ftom Railway over charges
                              -income taxes through government funded research

Anyone know of any other way we contribute?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.