• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency evaluations…

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you still haven't answered the question. Probably because you know that the libertarian view of evacuations doesn't cut it. Even in rural Alberta.

So if the mandatory evacuations aren't needed, why are the councilors and reeves from the very communities supporting them?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      But you still haven't answered the question. Probably because you know that the libertarian view of evacuations doesn't cut it. Even in rural Alberta.

So if the mandatory evacuations aren't needed, why are the councilors and reeves from the very communities supporting them?
      To cover their asses so they don’t get sued by someone who’s an idiot and claims they weren’t told how serious the issue is.

Comment

For the 85-90% of emergency workers who use a little common sense… thanks for your : patience, help, dedication, and sacrifice.

We are blessed to have spirited passionate people who do care and are humble enough to know when those who are themselves sacrificing to provide backup and very needed resources …. In extremely difficult situations.

God Bless Alberta…. Many did get enough rain to green the grass and trees… we are thankful for these blessings!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
          To cover their asses so they don’t get sued by someone who’s an idiot and claims they weren’t told how serious the issue is.
          Blaithin, that's a pretty cynical view of your fellow citizens and county councilors!

The only reason they support mandatory evacuations is they don't want to be sued? Huh? You would say that in a public meeting?

You don't think that they might also think public safety might be a good reason?

Comment

Blaithin, that's a pretty cynical view of your fellow citizens and county councilors!

The only reason they support mandatory evacuations is they don't want to be sued? Huh? You would say that in a public meeting?

You don't think that they might also think public safety might be a good reason?
            A county councillor is a politician. They’ll say whatever they think people want them to say, and do whatever they have to do to cover their asses.

Cynical, sure. Realistic, also sure.
            Last edited by Blaithin; May 12, 2023, 16:57.

Comment

Just like many of the rural Alberta citizens they represent! Self interest first. Public safety second.

In Saskatchewan public safety takes priority. Its the legacy of our grandparents generation.
              Last edited by chuckChuck; May 12, 2023, 16:21.

Comment

Just like many of the rural Alberta citizens they represent! Self interest first. Public safety second.

In Saskatchewan public safety takes priority. Its the legacy of our grandparents generation.
                Do you feel most people are not predominantly out for themselves/their small inner circle?

Or you just feel urban residents are giving and caring while us rural counterparts are purely self motivated?

When does an individual become “private” instead of “public”. Their homes? Yards? Who is a private citizen with private safety.

Comment

CC:
                  Your argumentative attitude certainly has an unfortunate impact… trust is earned… words are cheap.Arrogant Power plays are difficult to miss.

People with genuine sacrificial actions speak magnitudes more. Pain and suffering are potent motivation for the passionate who care.

Blessings and Prayers.

Comment

Do you feel most people are not predominantly out for themselves/their small inner circle?

Or you just feel urban residents are giving and caring while us rural counterparts are purely self motivated?

When does an individual become “private” instead of “public”. Their homes? Yards? Who is a private citizen with private safety.
                    Ask your county councilors. Let us know what they say.

This really isn't such a difficult decision is it? Out of control fire is threatening. We/you cant stop it from coming into your yard or town. And Jeez maybe we should evacuate those in danger if there is no hope of containing the fire?

Are you going to call up your local reeve and councilor and discuss it for a couple of hours while the flames get closer?

Good Luck!

Comment

Ask your county councilors. Let us know what they say.

This really isn't such a difficult decision is it? Out of control fire is threatening. We/you cant stop it from coming into your yard or town. And Jeez maybe we should evacuate those in danger if there is no hope of containing the fire?

Are you going to call up your local reeve and councilor and discuss it for a couple of hours while the flames get closer?

Good Luck!
                      I’m asking you because you’re the one here saying it.

Well let’s see… my landlord is my councillor. My house and yard is his property. He does have the ability to stop a fire from getting to my yard by creating a firebreak. I’m sure he would be doing the exact same for his yard.

Any other questions? Or you want me to call him up while he’s seeding and see what he would do if we lived in a forest?

Comment

Here’s an example from last fall when it was hot and fires were popping up everywhere. They had all their equipment ready and easily accessible to go.

Perhaps I should let them know that someone on the internet says they shouldn’t bother because they aren’t trained professionals. It’s best to wait for the (volunteer) department to get there.

This photo is take from the end of my driveway, immediately across from my yard. They also brought the equipment across the road when they did my quarter. Just in case you’re going to say they wouldn’t bother with my yard.

Last edited by Blaithin; May 12, 2023, 17:53.

Comment

If you can safely stop the fire from coming into your yard or town by all means go for it.

Why wouldn't the County allow this?

But aren't we talking about evacuations where the county has decided that evacuation is the prudent and safest thing to do? Otherwise why would they evacuate?

Comment

Here’s an example from last fall when it was hot and fires were popping up everywhere. They had all their equipment ready and easily accessible to go.

Perhaps I should let them know that someone on the internet says they shouldn’t bother because they aren’t trained professionals. It’s best to wait for the (volunteer) department to get there.

This photo is take from the end of my driveway, immediately across from my yard. They also brought the equipment across the road when they did my quarter. Just in case you’re going to say they wouldn’t bother with my yard.

Fire prevention and having equipment in the field is a great idea on the farm. We do that ourselves. Field fires are not usually as risky as forest fires though.

In a forest its not quite that simple when an out of control fire is raging your way. Aren't most of the evacuations in semi forested or forested parts of the counties?

Comment

If you can safely stop the fire from coming into your yard or town by all means go for it.

Why wouldn't the County allow this?

But aren't we talking about evacuations where the county has decided that evacuation is the prudent and safest thing to do? Otherwise why would they evacuate?
                              Are they not turning people away from coming in to help make fire breaks?

Are you not saying people MUST be forced to leave and are not allowed to use their discretion to stay and try and protect their property.

You’re saying as soon as a county decides the risk is too great, it now trumps each individuals ability to make decisions and they must leave the area and leave it up to professionals.

I ask why.

If individuals think a fire here is too great a risk and just run away, it’s almost guaranteed to become out of control. Individuals (private) are the first defence until the volunteer (public) professionals can get there. If they can get there. Not to mention the fire departments do not have the equipment to make fire breaks so we’d be waiting on that.

Who are you Chuck, to tell people what’s too dangerous for them? Who are the councillors? The MLAs?

I mean, first you say we can’t stop it from coming into my yard and now you’re saying if we can, go for it.

Comment

Fire prevention and having equipment in the field is a great idea on the farm. We do that ourselves. Field fires are not usually as risky as forest fires though.

In a forest its not quite that simple when an out of control fire is raging your way. Aren't most of the evacuations in semi forested or forested parts of the counties?
                                You said ask my councillor. It’s not my fault you transposed me to living in a forest.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.