• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, another week has gone by, and still no killing frost. Most crops have reached the time of year when they are out of harm's way. Ok if you seeded July 1st it's still too early for a frost but most are hitting the end of the cycle.

We have got to 1/3 done and it's been a very nice time. Warm days are windy and a nice crop is always fun to harvest.

Sask will move to 50% or better but the east side is 30%.

If you are done harvesting in record time did you really have anything really to harvest? Again the East side is the powerhouse of growing grain in Sask, some years we lose out but not very often. Still amazes me how land is worth double on the west side.

I do feel bad for anyone with a poor crop and drought for year 4. The weather will change and all that fert in the ground will pay off in spades when it does rain again.

For the province, the drought is back as a topic for the coffee row. It is dry and getting dryer and that isn't a good thing going into winter without any fall moisture. The long-term weather forecast shows a warmer fall and min Rain. Lots need a recharge and a big recharge. Snow doesn't make grain. It gives you a start that's it.

Ok so here is the crop report.

HRS harvest is done in some areas and about mid-way in our side of the province. Yields are all over the map. Some are in the 40s or 50s for the low end and the average in our area is 60 to 75 range with a few hitting the magic 100. Variety is also interesting a promising wheat from a few years ago has a constant 50 BPA yield. The old faithful Brandon is up there but the new kinds of wheat are the ones pushing the top yields. One thing for future reference Midge tolerant wheat is maybe a consideration for future picks because without lorsban in Canada it could be an issue for some years. Slough grass causes or helps with Ergot so if you spray end to end and your low areas that flood are black in the fall you probably have min Ergot. It is a big problem in our area this year. Some grading feed due to high numbers of ergot.

Durum is also getting ready to be harvested or is started in our area. Some Fuz damage but those who sprayed seem to be doing ok. Not top grade but still a crop that can fit. Yields are lower than spring wheat.

Barley the early harvested crop had a strong year but just hit 100 or less. The later looked good lodged and seemed to not fill as well as I thought it could. Lots of 100s but higher not many. No rain so malt could be possible on a lot. Nice plump kernels.

Peas the average if everything worked and disease wasn't an issue or excess water plus 8 years between it could hit 60 plus. If anything goes wrong with peas its 25 and up.

Lentils' I will say it again they don't like water and water doesn't like lentil fields. Some did ok but a lot are complaining.

Flax is getting close and the color change is happening. No one has swath or sprayed.

Canary seed is starting to get harvested haven't got any details of yield. some fields were a 10 out of 10.

Oats believe it or not are getting harvested. Green stubble after but dry grain. It's an interesting year. Some fields look like it was silaged but its harvested. Yields haven't had any reports yet.

Canola is being sprayed still to shut down and as usual, the Roundup is working very slowly. Funny last year in a drought a week and it was done this year two and you still look cross-eyed at it. Few swathing but the wind is starting to pull at the swaths. I love how now everyone seems to swath on an angle to the North east. Gee in fall our winds are always out of that direction. It works you might only lose your outside few swaths. Yields I am hearing from the west side and central are it could have been a 60 in some areas and it's not hitting those numbers. Also did get reports of crops not making over 10 and 25 in some cases. I am going to reassess my yield numbers again after we get going in our area and I get northern and eastern yield data. I think lots will be 45 to 58. But we all have some that are going to be lower. even on the east side. I think on the hot days in July we even had pod aborting happening in our area with mud.

The cowboys are moving cattle out of different pastures and hauling bales. No second cuts are happening even if they could be. Pastures are starting to shut down.

This year with expenses you need $20 for Canola $15 for wheat $7 for barley and $14 for peas to do really exceptionally well with most yields. Lose out on yield or grade or price and it's not that big of a money year.

Fall spraying could be interesting after harvesting a crop as most plants are done for the year and you won't be killing much without rain.

Those still going good luck, stay safe and remember it's only a crop that they are already trying oh so hard to take.

One more dumb F U C K says harvest pressure is driving crop prices lower can go to HELL, It's not 1928, some farms have larger storage than a New Concrete elevator on the farm.

Last edited by SASKFARMER; Sep 15, 2022, 06:27.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Oh if you think the Federal Liberals aren't going to come after farmers I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

Never trust a Liberal they don't know what the truth is anymore.

Comment

I can’t wait to finish harvest so I can start spending money on next yrs crop.
            Get your inputs early boyzs for BIG savings, and take advantage of product while it lasts.
            Shortages are a coming.

Maybe it’s time to for:
            1 800 Call Monette

Comment

Upcoming Weather

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                Upcoming Weather

This will make winter wheat being seeded into dry ground for the foreseeable future…

Happy Harvesting!!!

Comment

We have a decent enough crop. The durum is running 65-70 with some areas reporting 90-100. Will see what the canola brings but it doesnt look as good as last yr.

But this has been far from an enjoyable year. I have farmed through every weather condition imaginable, sold crop for peanuts and lucked out on some nice prices fairly often. Enough to keep the lights on and the banker away.

But the amount of volatility this past year is stomach churning. No certainty of anything, parts, inputs, prices etc. Everything rising higher but our primary crops sinking double digits in the past 3 months. Bunch of guys running out of storage just saying fck it and haul it to the terminal isnt helping prices.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    We have a decent enough crop. The durum is running 65-70 with some areas reporting 90-100. Will see what the canola brings but it doesnt look as good as last yr.

But this has been far from an enjoyable year. I have farmed through every weather condition imaginable, sold crop for peanuts and lucked out on some nice prices fairly often. Enough to keep the lights on and the banker away.

But the amount of volatility this past year is stomach churning. No certainty of anything, parts, inputs, prices etc. Everything rising higher but our primary crops sinking double digits in the past 3 months. Bunch of guys running out of storage just saying fck it and haul it to the terminal isnt helping prices.
                    Could you imagine $20 durum at 90 bu??
                    Now reality hits $10.50 at 20 bu

No wonder prices are brutal.

Comment

We are just over 90% done.

Barley yields on average were 85% of last year, would be close to average long term yields.
                      HRS wheat yield was on average similar to last year with as Saskfarmer mentioned elevated ergot levels.
                      Yellow peas were a disaster yielding just under 40% of last year.
                      My canola yields are up from last year about 10% which put them just above the mid 40’s per acre, certainly less than what we had hoped for. I had 4 varieties planted, my best yielding was L345, go figure.
                      Overall mother nature turned off the taps too soon and their was no soil reserve, crops just ran out of gas and of course more than one round of hail didn’t help either. Very damn dry, would certainly welcome rain!!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

One more dumb F U C K says harvest pressure is driving crop prices lower can go to HELL, It's not 1928, some farms have larger storage than a New Concrete elevator on the farm.

Yes some farms have enough storage to store their entire crop. But do they also own railways and car fleets that are capable of moving the entire crop in September? Industry cant move it all off the combine no matter how much storage there is. Will always be more guys wanting to haul in Sept than January.

Comment

Trade says she a whopper of a crop, maybe should sell everything now before prices take a further nose dive.
                          Winter weather says brutal cold who wants to fire up equipment in Jan?

Comment

Even if most farms forward priced a small amount..
                            The trains are filling up.
                            Good yields with some locked in prices make for a great $$$$ to start with..
                            The rest can stay in the bins..after inputs are covered..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                              Even if most farms forward priced a small amount..
                              The trains are filling up.
                              Good yields with some locked in prices make for a great $$$$ to start with..
                              The rest can stay in the bins..after inputs are covered..
                              Crops here won't cover the inputs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.