• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola 60 bushel swath!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weird thing I’ve found with the canola this year is the stand is large, pods are long, and seeds are huge but yield is no bin buster. I thought it was just me but judging by what you guys on here are saying I don’t feel like a shitty farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
      The weird thing I’ve found with the canola this year is the stand is large, pods are long, and seeds are huge but yield is no bin buster. I thought it was just me but judging by what you guys on here are saying I don’t feel like a shitty farmer.
      It’s the same in many many areas
      Main stem pod abortion hurts yield no matter what anyone says . Fact of canola plant growth during early flowering and moisture stress .
      Areas that had even just one timely rain during the dry stretch are doing very well , like Paynton , Meota Turtleford

Many areas went 15-20 days without a significant rain and near zero subsoil to carry the plant growth that was there
      Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 11, 2022, 13:09.

Comment

Most years by this time we would have put our equipment away. We’ve been done on Labour Day several years. This year, the lentils are so crappy that we are waiting for the green pods to fill. We haven’t even started Canola yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          Most years by this time we would have put our equipment away. We’ve been done on Labour Day several years. This year, the lentils are so crappy that we are waiting for the green pods to fill. We haven’t even started Canola yet.
          Hopefully everything filled well for you
          The early harvested crops here were not great

Comment

I've been trying to be optimistic about canola yields here. I know the excess rain in June into early July did irrepairable damage, and complete drownouts. Very little rain and above average temps ever since it quit raining. Miraculously, some areas came back to look decent.
            Most is still very green. Flea beetles had a hayday when it was so cold that canola couldn't grow fast enough to keep up. Some light frosts so far, not fatal. Needs a lot of time yet.

Areas that didn't drown out look good from the road, waves, very dense.

But when I look up close, lots of missing pods, deformed pods, very short pods, some later branches are huge, but have no pods at all.

I'm usually pessimistic about canola at this time of year ( except last year with no rain, when all the canola looked tremendous all season), so maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see breaking any records this year, even without including the drownouts.

I thought I had missed the invigor problems, since it was out of the ground and progressing as it should. But once it started flowering, all early flowers aborted, and it wasn't even hot. All season, it just didn't seem to have the vigor that it is famous for.

Comment

One common theme arising is in areas with limited moisture but good lookin crops is that any weed pressure at all , even minimal , yields drop significantly more than other years

Comment

We had a field of wheat that had Persian Darnel , didn’t realize and sprayed for wild oats.lost 10 b/a Next year everything gets achieve. Costly mistake

Comment

The new weed of the year in some areas here is barnyard grass.
                  Anywhere that was thinned by excess rain is overrun with it.

Comment

No surprise for me here.
                    Canopy top had no lean.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                      The new weed of the year in some areas here is barnyard grass.
                      Anywhere that was thinned by excess rain is overrun with it.
                      Man i wish there was a market for that crap on wet years. Infestation!

Comment

36 booshel ta da aca is all da hoots are getin.
                        I was shocked to hear that when I asked. Usually it’s 56. Pretty much tells you what size this crop is.

The heat to da yield boyzs.

Others I’m hearing 20-25

12-15 is also quite common.

But overall she’s a whopper … whopper with cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                          36 booshel ta da aca is all da hoots are getin.
                          I was shocked to hear that when I asked. Usually it’s 56. Pretty much tells you what size this crop is.

The heat to da yield boyzs.

Others I’m hearing 20-25

12-15 is also quite common.

But overall she’s a whopper … whopper with cheese.
                          Tell others not to post yields, yet there you are posting yields?

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                            Tell others not to post yields, yet there you are posting yields?
                            Did I post 50 and 70??!!!!!
                            You know everyone do what you want. It’s all about egos and a pissing match.

Comment

There is quite a difference between 15-20 to 65-70, heh? No big bumpers here that I’ve heard of. Many lentils less than 10 bushels, that I know for sure. Could be the end of lentil growing around us. Guess 42 years was a good run. Rolling them and breaking the stem while you pack them in like they are growing in pavement will spell the end of a good thing. Throw in 11 inches of torrential downpours and tout fini.

Comment

Very little rain from about July 10 to 30th give or take a day with near zero sub soil drastically reduced yields

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.