• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by sides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side by sides

Wheat …

Bourgault 12 in space , 3.5 in paired row right , New seed master 15 in SR

Bourgault

SR seed master

Comment

Not a fan of 12 inch spacing in cereals and lentils.

Too much real estate left unused.

In Europe wheat is seeded on 6inch rows .

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Not a fan of 12 inch spacing in cereals and lentils.

Too much real estate left unused.

In Europe wheat is seeded on 6inch rows .
        That’s why we like the paired row, puts us at 8.5 without a million shanks in the ground

Comment

The canola side by side with Horsch planter and the SR Seed master …

Horsch right , SM left

Comment

Horsch at 2.5 lbs on 15 in

SM at 3.5 lbs on 15 in

Both same variety, same seed lot , same fertility

Comment

Both close when looked from back a bit
              Will be interesting

Comment

In this plot with the SM , we did 3.5 , 4 and 4.5 lbs . On both sides and the rest of the field is the Horsch at 2.5 lbs or 220,000 seeds per ac
                We typically stay close to 200,000 but were concerned about very dry conditions after planting. This field got nipped by frost but just twice .
                The SM looks more consistent in general, and that’s a function of cold and direct seeding with a planter without row cleaners
                Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 22, 2022, 05:37.

Comment

And yes , without a doubt ever , seed quality matters in cold dry conditions at emergence….

Everything identical… I will leave it at that
                  Many of you are seeing the same thing in that BASF thread .

I have seen this off and on for 30 years , and when it happens, it’s deer in the headlights look 👀. Not fun but absolute reality
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 22, 2022, 05:07.

Comment

Wheatland HRSW …

Was happy with this variety last year even in very drought conditions
                    Seeded with ole bourgault May 14
                    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 21, 2022, 22:40.

Comment

thanks furrowfor sharing your testing and knowledge
                      you put a lot of time and input into these
                      most of us never quit learning in this business and really appreciate your efforts!

Comment

I have learned most from simply doing , and sharing info with other farmers . Still learn more everyday and pass on as much as I can to the next generation now my nephew. None of this is taught in ag school or from a book . Simply boots on the ground and watching and listening what others do right and wrong .
                        Every year has its challenges. We were sitting good last year about this time then the taps turned off completely. Mother Nature still rules the roost

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Everything identical… I will leave it at that
                          Furrow, I am not getting you on this side by side test. Different varieties, seed size etc. Pls elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Furrow, I am not getting you on this side by side test. Different varieties, seed size etc. Pls elaborate.
                            It’s in a plot with 8 varieties, all RR . All seeded the same time, same fertility, same everything
                            The variety on the left had a ton of cracks in it , seed treatment was dusty and seed size was variable. The one on the right was nice even big seed . In dry cold conditions, seed quality is huge
                            This was seeded around the 20th so not “early” but we had cold dry frosts from May 31 to June 3
                            This stuff was just up and seemed not affected.
                            The balance of the field looks good . Just this one variety that had very questionable looking seed when we opened the bag .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              The one on the right was nice even big seed . In dry cold conditions, seed quality is huge.
                              So this is the problem I have every year. Cannot be guaranteed seed size, just take whatever they give.

Maybe the BTOs get the good stuff and small frys like me get whatever's left over. Who knows.

I was just contemplating this morning phoning my reps to see if any size D was returned and in the shed and just taking that for next year. A year old Size D probably has the same vigour as those smaller sizes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.