• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV bullshit , fact checking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EV bullshit , fact checking

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
    "Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
    So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
    It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
    According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
    electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
    The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned ,
    so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
    I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
    $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.
    The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So the Canadian Government wants loyal Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
    "Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
    So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
    It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
    electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
    The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned ,
    I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
    $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.
    The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So the Canadian Government wants loyal Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.
    Wow $1.16 per kwh you are getting hosed last I checked I pay 11 cents.

Comment

And what does that battery cost to replace in 5-7 years. Likely $10,000+

Comment

Remember it about climate catastrophe, you must do your part ..

Comment

wow I pay under 9 cents a kw hour in Manitoba is that the price of hydro in Texas in January ?

Comment

Comment

If you're on a half section run seeding, engage auto steer and you have time to read this.

https://www.energycouncil.com.au/analysis/evs-are-they-really-more-efficient/

Comment

A4 needs to comment here. A4 can cut through the BS with his positive real life experience with EVs in Alberta. His comments and experience were well received before.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  A4 needs to comment here. A4 can cut through the BS with his positive real life experience with EVs in Alberta. His comments and experience were well received before.
                  You got an EV yet ? Does it plug into your solar arrays? Electric tractor 🚜 yet ?
                  If so 👍, if not your no more qualified than any one else . Don’t fall off your soap box in the mean time

Comment

https://insideevs.com/news/512426/norway-ev-summer-range-test/

Comment

We have a model 3, model S, and chevy volt. This is complete and utter nonsense. I'll take the bait...

"Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine."

This may be possible. EV range is highly variable depending on temperature, weather, and terrain. Want to drive uphill in -30 with your heater cranked into a headwind? That's going to cause you to use more energy. EV will always have lower range on a highway due to the aerodynamic forces. At 50mph HALF of the energy being spent is to overcome air resistance. In the city an EV will always exceed highway range due to very little air resistance at low speeds and recovering energy with regenerative braking.

electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery."

A quick goggle search says that the Volt achieves 42 mpg (on gas only) so I'm not sure how he's getting 30mpg WITH electricity. Also if you had a vehicle that had 500km of range on gasoline and 60-80km on electric would you really sit there for 10 hours waiting for the battery to charge? Give me a break. The volt only has 4KW level 2 charging which is painfully slow for a road trip, that's why it has a ICE. It's also important to note that the Volt has an 18kWh battery pack that is software locked to stay between 20-80 percent charge. So you can only use 13.5kWh of the 18kWh battery.

"The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned ,
                      The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So the Canadian Government wants loyal Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country. "

$0.20/kWh all in.
                      Last edited by ALBERTAFARMER4; Jun 9, 2021, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
                        We have a model 3, model S, and chevy volt. This is complete and utter nonsense.
                        What’s the non sense ? Do you like them ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          What’s the non sense ? Do you like them ?
                          Fact is, Musk will be dead before there is any serious penetration of EVs. The unicorn crowd has forgotten how that much electricity will even be generated and delivered to an EV fleet, unless of course you are only supposed to drive once or twice a week. That might be in the cards too.

a handful EVs on any residential street in Canada or the US would cause brownouts and blackouts.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Fact is, Musk will be dead before there is any serious penetration of EVs. The unicorn crowd has forgotten how that much electricity will even be generated and delivered to an EV fleet, unless of course you are only supposed to drive once or twice a week. That might be in the cards too.

a handful EVs on any residential street in Canada or the US would cause brownouts and blackouts.
                            That's true. My neighbours hate me. Last night someone came and knocked on my door and asked me to unplug my car so they could use their oven to cook a pizza. This is actually a completely fabricated story similar to yours. Just playing along.

Comment

You completely missed his point AF4.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...